Do parabens build up on hair?

curlicarlycurlicarly Posts: 242Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hey guys! I got a deva cut yesterday and brought my conditioner (GVP Conditioning Balm) for the stylist to look at. He read through the ingredients and totally berated me for using a product with parabens because they "build up" on hair. I thought parabens were a health risk, rather than a hair risk?

He also said that the alcohols in it were "bad" (myristyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol) but I always thought these were moisturizing alcohols?? Am I confused?

Long story short, I bought a huge thing of One Conditioner because I'm a pushover, but I cannot afford this conditioner in the long run... College student here. Thanks for your help!
3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
Avoiding humectants and protein!

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I always hear Deva stylists saying parabens build up on hair because they are "plastic", but I've never seen any definitive info. elsewhere to support that claim. As far as I know, a single study linked parabens to cancer, but other than Deva stylists, I've never seen people complaining about paraben buildup. I did request that the Curl Chemist address that in an article here, last time she asked for ideas, but it hasn't happened yet.

Myristyl and cetearyl alcohols are fatty alcohols and thus moisturizing (good for hair). Phenoxyethanol is a preservative, although the "ethanol" portion does mean it's a drying alcohol. It is the 6th ingredient (not counting water) of a total 14 ingredients, so there is a good bit of it in the product.

Overall, if using One Condition improves the look and feel of your hair, then you might consider switching to something other than GVPCB (and it doesn't have to be Deva). On the other hand, if you don't notice a major difference and like the way your hair looks and feels using GVPCB, then you don't have to switch just because a stylist tells you it's "bad" for your hair.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    The stylist doesn't really sound like he knew what he was talking about. Sounds like he wanted to make a sale and made some stuff up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree^ Very dishonest. If you haven't used it maybe you could try returning it.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • curlicarlycurlicarly Posts: 242Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks. I love how he cuts my hair, but I definitely feel like he's a little short-sighted when it comes to ingredients. He also said there was salt (?) in the conditioner and that's apparently bad?

Anyways, one conditioner has always been fine for me, so I didn't mind buying it too much, but I hate the mindset that there is only one good product out there and anything else is bad. I guess I need to do some research!
    3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
    Avoiding humectants and protein!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlicarly wrote: »
    Thanks. I love how he cuts my hair, but I definitely feel like he's a little short-sighted when it comes to ingredients. He also said there was salt (?) in the conditioner and that's apparently bad?

Anyways, one conditioner has always been fine for me, so I didn't mind buying it too much, but I hate the mindset that there is only one good product out there and anything else is bad. I guess I need to do some research!

He probably saw the chloride in "Cetrimonium Chloride" and assumed salt. It's actually a quatrernary ammonium compound that acts as anti-microbial, preservative, emulsifier, and anti-static agent.

See here: CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE || Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | EWG
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ya know, my stylist never told me crap about true hair care. And I would always complain about dryness, frizziness, unruliness, etc. I'm guessing stylists don't know that much about moisture/protein balance? Or hair properties? Or ingredients? Or technique? I don't know, maybe mine plays dumb but I had to learn everything myself.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin