Frizzy when wet/dry all the time no matter what I do....should I cut it off?

Hi girls I posted a thread months ago on this topic.

Since then I've been washing my hair only once a week and really giving it a break and hoping it would normalize. It hasn't. It's still very dry, frizzy when wet, especially once I t'shirt scrunch it. Frizzy once dry and so god awful frustrating!

I am a naturalista, so I don't like to use any chemicals. I did use chemical products before even the expensive ones that are more nautral however no avail! Currently I am pre oiling my hair with an oil blend, leaving on overnight, washing with my homemade castile soap shampoo ( and yes i've tried other shampoos that are no sulfates. they all have the same effect), then conditioning with a natural conditoner made in my city, followed by either a LI or nothing.

Using gel, oil or any styling product makes no difference so I'm not wasting my time and money anymore. I'm so frusterated I feel like I need to cut my hair very short because I hate how frizzy/easily tangled/crazy it is. It's rarely soft, it itches mine and my bf's face when it touches either of us. I seriously have no idea what's up!

Any ideas? I'm also a very busy mom so I'm not really able to do anything high maitenence..!
Low-med porosity/ medium texture/ dense

Poo: Castile soap (diluted of course)
RO:natural conditioners made in BC
LI: Giovanni direct LI
DT: blend of oils
Styler: none

seal with jojoba/coconut oil, ACV rinses

Comments

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's really hard to say, but it seems like you're overdoing the oiling/conditioning. Have you tried clarifying shampoo (yes, sulfate) and starting from scratch. Like a solid double clarifying shampoo and then doing a single hour of deep conditioning (with something with protein just to experiment if you are only using Rehab or oils). Too much protein can make my hair hard and frizzy. But too much conditioning can make it frizzy looking, too. The castile soap might be leaving residue, as well. Maybe the hard and itchy is that it's not clean--that it's got build-up and residue.

Rethink the routine. Try something really different. But start with a totally clean, build-up removed start--that clarifying poo--and start fresh. That could help.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yup, agree with the above advice. Frizz when wet for me is a sure sign of build up. Clarifying helps.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • marybravemarybrave Posts: 34Registered Users
    Thanks for the comments back.

I did a crap load of claryifing a few months ago with no real results. I also thought I had polyquat buildup. I used herbal essences a few times but mostly I tried the Kinky curly come clean. It didn't seem to help......

Should I try the KCCC again? I honetly don't think anything will work...

Also if I'm over conditioning (how's that possible as I only oil 1-2x/week) why would I deep condition after the sulfate cleanse?

I also know it's not the Castile Soap shampoo because for months I wasn't using it and I was clarifying and co washing. Still my hair was frizzy when wet and dry....

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Do you have hard water?

Honestly it sounds like buildup. I would try clarifying (at least 2x) with a sulfate shampoo and also with a chelating shampoo (to get hard water buildup out).

I think the castille soap shampoo + hard water could be giving you major buildup. If I were you I'd clarify/chelate and ditch the shampoo you have. There are TONS of other low-poos on the market.

Other things that can build up: polyquats (on some people), sillicones (if you're not using a sulfate or low-poo with coco-betaine to cleanse), and oils/butters (on some people, particularly low-porosity folks)
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    wavydaze wrote: »
    Do you have hard water?

Honestly it sounds like buildup. I would try clarifying (at least 2x) with a sulfate shampoo and also with a chelating shampoo (to get hard water buildup out).)

I'm wondering if Aubrey's Swimmer shampoo would count as a chelating shampoo? Should I just use it once then? I think the water in my city is 'slightly hard'.... that shouldn't do much damage should it?

Also if your hair is sensitive to butters/oils how do you deep condition? I've been assuming my hair must be soo thirsty because its so frizzy. I used a crap load of leave in the other day (compared to none) and my hairs still frizzy as ever, just softer and more managable... Very confusing....

I did actually claryify a bunch a few months ago after I realized polyquats were causing me problems. I still don't know if they got the junk off my hair! So maybe it is the water? Or are polyquats just super hard to remove?

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    If you're worried about hard water, look for EDTA in the ingredients in your product(s) - it is a chelating agent. Frizz when wet for me either means I need to clarify or there's something in a product that really doesn't agree with my hair.

My hair isn't fond of oils and butters, and I don't do a dedicated "deep condition." What I do, about once a week if I'm good about it or less often when I'm lazy (this is more likely the case!) I'll do a conditioner pre-poo (see the Spritz and Condish method). More likely than not, I'll do a lo-poo right after this to remove any residual conditioner gunk - my hair prefers being kinda clean and all - but the pre-poo helps to ensure that my hair is relatively well moisturized.

Good luck!
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    For clarifying you certainly should look for a chelating poo with EDTA. Or do a baking soda cleanse. Aubrey Swimmers will not do I'm afraid. Or they must have change ingredients, but there's no EDTA in this shampoo and it contains proteins if I remember correctly.

I have lo-po hair and hard water and the Aubrey Organics did nothing for my hair except making it fall out after a while, but that could be due to the protein in it.

Be aware that your hair can be frizzy when wet after clarifying too much. That's because it stands out grasping for moisture. It took me (a couple of years ago) some time to figure that out, after draining all moisture out of my hair by clarifying about 4 times in a row.

2c-3a Low Porosity/Med Elasticity/almost waist length hair.
    Dutch curly blogger: Krullenwijzer.blogspot.nl
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
    Thanks all for replying!

Any suggestions on Chealting shampoos? I live in Canada so I'd have to be able to buy them here....

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I actually don't know what's available in Canada... just look for the EDTA ingredient. I'm wondering if apple cider vinegar rinses would help.... maybe someone else could chime in... I've never used them but isn't vinegar helpful for removing soap scum? I think the hard water or semi-hard water plus soap is like soap scum residue. blech.

Also, do you know the ph of the shampoo you're using?
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    Check your products for polyquats and cetyl esters. Both of those ingredients do exactly that to my hair.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The AO Swimmers shampoo has sodium phytate, which is a chelating agent. Here are the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: Aqua, oryza sativa (rice) extract*, lauryl glucoside‡ (from coconut/beet sugar), sodium cocoyl hydrolyzed soy protein§, glycerin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, decyl glucoside‡ (from coconut/corn sugar), sodium lauroyl lactylate (plant source), alcohol denat. (38b, lavender), leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate, glyceryl caprylate, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil*, fragrance‡‡, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, glyceryl undecylenate, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, chenopodium quinoa seed extract*, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil*, sodium phytate, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), xanthan gum, tocopherol (vitamin E).

It's very heavy on oils, so that could be a problem.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file