Shampoo help for this 2b....

alex.esareyalex.esarey Posts: 34Registered Users
Hello curlies!

My 2b is having serious build up problems with my deva no poo. Very greasy, stringy, and EEW. I have tried cowashing before with no luck, and have tried giovanni and similar low-poos (whole foods brand, natures gate, suave, etc).

I wash every other day, and worry about stripping my hair with a clarifying shampoo. Any suggestions would be great!!!

PS: I am a kindergarten teacher and cannot afford anything really $$ right now, unless I have the option to sample or return. Thanks!!
-2b/2c fine hair, easily weighed down

Currently using:
Wash: Deva NoPoo
RO: Deva One Condition
Style: Deva Foam & LA Looks Sports Gel

Dry using a Curlformers Softhood

Experimenting with Organix Coconut Shampoo and Kinky Curly Custard

Comments

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like you have hard water. I can cowash with Suave Rosemary Mint conditioner until the cows come home and I NEVER have build up. Ever. But that's because we have some of the softest water in the country. Look at the tips on this page; I recommend doing this; I'll bet it helps tremendously.

Beauty Tips – Ways to Beat Hard Water Hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    Using a harsh clarifying shampoo to strip your hair every once in a while won't hurt your hair. I do it maybe once a month/whenever my waves start looking bad and my hair looks and feels just fine. It might be dry for one wash, but a good conditioner always fixes it.

I use the Suave Clarifying Shampoo for those times where I feel my hair needs a hard reset. It gets every product off and it's only $1.50 for the big bottle.

Yeah, your hair will be dry and horrible feeling after washing. Use a conditioner and let it sit in your hair. Condition twice if you must! But I promise, your hair will go back to normal. I had some build up issues from Ouidad where my hair wouldn't wave up at all and one wash with Suave brought my wurls back to life.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Agreed you may need to clarify and maybe use different products.... the Deva products aren't moisturizing enough for my hair. I have been having a horrible time and just today posted a blog about something I'm trying that actually worked super well.

My clarifier is Kinky Curly Come Clean, I only use it when I have to but it does work very well. Read below about the new technique I'm using. It for real works.

Jen's Curly Mess: Method Test: Condish and Squish in Action
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • alex.esareyalex.esarey Posts: 34Registered Users
    Thanks for all the great responses!!

AngelaE8654, I tried a water+ soap test (curlytalk won't let me post the link!) to see if I have hard water, but the results were not very helpful...bubbles came to the top of the bottle, but didn't overflow. So I have medium water? Maybe? IDK. :) According to the cities website, we have harder water in the winter due to snow. So there's that.

ExpectoPatronum, I almost feel like I need to deep cleanse once every two weeks or so. I deep cleansed on Tuesday. Had awesome hair on Wednesday and Thursday and "meh" hair on Friday. (Today is Saturday).

Bluejacketsgirl, Kinky Curly products sound so interesting...I might try to find a cheap sample somewhere. Or is there some place I can buy/return if it doesn't work?

Maybe I need to try a totally new shampoo all together,and drop the deva nopoo bit. Ack, I wish I had more money to try all these products!!

What do you all recommend for a clarifying shampoo? My stylist used Redken Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo on me. What do you think/use? Kinky Curly? Suave? Something else... :) Preferably without 'cones.

THANKS!!!!

Currently using:

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Would you consider a regular drugstore shampoo which you dilute with a lot of water? If your hair is coming out stringy and greasy, a gentle, moisturizing drugstore shampoo, very diluted might work well for you.

I would think that would be kinder to your hair than a clarifying shampoo. Just use a light conditioner afterward so you don't weigh your hair down.

Good luck with this!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Hmm, I would consider it, but only if it had great recommendations. :) Prefer something curl-focused.

Currently using:

Yeah, totally up for trying drugstore/typical shampoos. I do NOT cowash well, so I need maybe something low-sudsing? I just tried clarifying with suave two days ago. Hair was definitely dry, but clean. Today I washed with low-poo, and it was greasy again. I think it must be hard water.

I was visiting family last week (out of state) and had no grease problems. :( Can't afford a new shower head thingy for hard water, and live in an apartment, so can't do anything really for that, either...

Currently using:

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Here is a "Water Hardness Map" of the USA. I'm assuming you're in the US, if not I can find a map for your country. You can see where you fit into this map. This particular map doesn't call ANY area "soft water" but I'm out on the coast in Washington State (the northwest corner of this map, the yellow colored portion) and my part of WA State and most of Oregon are considered "slightly hard" which actually means "soft". :D :D :D

United States Water Hardness Map, What is my water hardness?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
    Definetly in the very hard/extremely hard zone. :( No wonder!!

I ordered a free test strip thingy, before I plunk down the money on one of these...

Sprite HO2-WH-M Universal Shower Filter and 3 Setting
    Sprite HO2-WH-M Universal Shower Filter and 3 Setting Shower Head, White - Showerhead Water Filters - Amazon.com

Currently using:

I think either way, though, I want something other than Deva No Poo. It's just so expensive....

Currently using:

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I often use diluted sulfate poo. Like 2 tsp to 4 oz water. That is plenty of cleansing power without killing my hair. I even squirt some conditioner into the mix to mellow it more.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    chupie wrote: »
    I often use diluted sulfate poo. Like 2 tsp to 4 oz water. That is plenty of cleansing power without killing my hair. I even squirt some conditioner into the mix to mellow it more.

Chupie, what shampoo do you use?

Currently using:

In the past, before I went curly, I used Giovanni smooth as silk. Seemed to be good then, but I was trying to go straight (not curly)! So I am up for that line. I would also try Organix products. Suave naturals did baaaad things, even when using normal/not hard water.

Currently using:

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    chupie wrote: »

Chupie, what shampoo do you use?

I just bought a bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. I've had it 2 years. Which tells you how little I use. I use it about every second or third wash. Otherwise I use As I Am Cowash. I'm going to try the Clesnsing pudding next as I hear it's a little more cleansing. And I did just receive the Gentle Wash by Briogeo. Trying that today.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Yup,I just received and tested my water- y'all were right, I am a hard water sufferer!

I am testing Organix Coconut Water Shampoo. (It's harsher than most curly shampoos, but does not contain any 'cones or SLS). Will report back. :)

Currently using:

• nicolecatherinenicolecatherine Posts: 29Registered Users
    If you haven't tried any of Shea Moisture's shampoos you should give those a shot. If you have an Ulta or Target around you they both have great return policies! :)
    Shea Moisture, AG, Ouidad, DevaCare, GHD, Kinky Curly
  • WavyCWavyC Posts: 5Registered Users
    Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their Tea Tree Tingle shampoo is sulfate-free, and costs $5.00. (And their conditioner is silicon-free, and costs the same).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file