Type 3 / Big Chop Experiences

TheBlondieDreamTheBlondieDream Registered Users Posts: 19
Hiya girls!
As i said in the transitioning thread, i just BC'd last sunday and i was randomly asking myself if any of you type 3 girls have big chopped and how did it went for you afterwards.
My hair were like 3B when they were long and not straightened during my first attempt to go natural. I don't know now how they really will be when they grow back but, well...was just curious.

Comments

• JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    Hi!

For me, it was and has been amazing. I straightened my hair for just about 18 years before deciding last semester (I'm in college) to stop. I hadn't originally intended on BC'ing, as I wanted to keep my length - and I also wasn't aware that damaged hair will not reform your natural curl pattern. I finally BC'ed after being fed up with dealing with slightly curly hair with lots of stick-straight pieces, and loved it. I had a cute little curly bob thing, and my curls looked amazing. As it's started growing out, I've found a few areas where I'll probably have to do a trim to finish off the rest of the damage that I was still too scared to cut, but for the most part, it's been fantastic to watch my curls grow out healthy and happy. And I was amazed to see what my actual curl pattern was! I'd been believing I had a 3a/2c because initially the damage made my curls looser, but now I'm seeing ringlets all over and some tighter 3c as well, and it's like heaven. Totally worth it! I can't wait until it gets longer!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I didn't BC, but instead gradually chopped and didn't wear my hair naturally curly until all of my straight ends were snipped off (I didn't straighten it during this time, I just mean that I used to braid it so my ends and roots matched. It was insanely frizzy and undefined half the time, but I prevailed! I wasn't brave enough to BC, so I just had to deal with the mess.).

I had no idea what my curls would look like after finally snipping off my ends, but I was so pleasantly surprised. And they seem to be getting better and better over the years.

Well done to you for taking this leap and I hope you love your hair journey!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • RezuaRezua Registered Users Posts: 18 Curl Neophyte
    I didn't do a BC, instead I went with a buzz cut. My hair grew out nicely,I didn't have to do much in the styling area in the beginning since my hair curled up on it's own but when it grew to be a bit longer (between ear & chin length) i had more trouble due to the weight of hair. I would recommend keep your routine very simple that way it's easier for you. At the moment I just started a new routine it's only 3 steps using a silicone & sulfate free shampoo & conditioner (make sure you get one too as well) + leave in conditioner w/ the same properties previously mentioned. I used to use LA Looks gel but I stopped & decided I didn't need to use gel. I also recommend when your hair gets a much longer (maybe 6 months)get a trim to prevent damage. Since your hair is short you can cut down on how many times you was it per-week/month.

As far as my hair length goes I went from buzz cut 2yr 6mo ago, now my hair is the longest its ever been in-between Bra-Strap & Mid-back length.

I hope this helps!

event.png

3B (Medium-Porosity,Texture & Density)

Wash:
    Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo
    Giovanni Tea Tree Conditioner
    Leave-In:
    Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner
  • TheBlondieDreamTheBlondieDream Registered Users Posts: 19
    Thanks girls for sharing your experience with me <3
    Rezua wrote: »
    ...I didn't have to do much in the styling area in the beginning since my hair curled up on it's own but when it grew to be a bit longer (between ear & chin length) i had more trouble due to the weight of hair. I would recommend keep your routine very simple that way it's easier for you. At the moment I just started a new routine it's only 3 steps using a silicone & sulfate free shampoo & conditioner (make sure you get one too as well) + leave in conditioner w/ the same properties previously mentioned. I used to use LA Looks gel but I stopped & decided I didn't need to use gel. I also recommend when your hair gets a much longer (maybe 6 months)get a trim to prevent damage. Since your hair is short you can cut down on how many times you was it per-week/month.
    As far as my routine goes, now that i'm like 1 or 2 cm (think like..1 inch?) long i'm experiencing a ton of dryness and so i'm relying on co-washing everyday with Balsamo Splend'or al Cocco (an european dupe of the SM co-wash) and my CJ Beauticurls strenghtening conditioning, then i style with a leave in: (I used to use the KKKT but it seem it stopped working) the CJ Curl Rehab which seems to go better on this side, sealing with the Yves Rocher Reconstructing Oil (which i talked about in here http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/176858-yves-rocher-hair-repairing-oil.html and then the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie (i've tried the KKCC but it seems it dries me off a bit).
    I'm not really understanding still well what my hair is doing or needing.
    I'm planning on a DT on the WE with the CJ Repair Me followed by DC with the CJ Curl Rehab to see if this helps with dryness, which at least it's going to get better during the days. Maybe it's just my hair adjusting to the cut?
    Oh, and i'm on the Castor Oil challeng, massaging every evening with that before going to bed and protecting overnight with a satin pillowcase/silky scarf.
    As far as curls...they're trying already to curl and there are a few of them here and there.
    I feel like i don't really know my mane and it's a bit overwhelming..
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    the cj repair me is so conditioning you don't need to dc after it. see how it is after you do the repair me treatment. it's amazing!
    do you know your hair properties?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb wrote: »
    the cj repair me is so conditioning you don't need to dc after it. see how it is after you do the repair me treatment. it's amazing!
    do you know your hair properties?

Ohw thanks!!
    i'll try to do the CJRM on his own then and see how it turns out after.
    when my hair was bleached / colored i had to dc afterwards, but who knows now?
    well, i knew my hair properties but as my hair were always color treated (even when i stopped relaxing and transitioned the first time) i don't know if they're the same now.
    i used to be 3b with some 3c corkscrew, high porosity fine and medium density
    it's a good idea as you go along with your new hair to get your hair properties, mostly the porosity might change.
    for fine hair protein is really important. high porosity needs to seal, but you might not need to anymore. try it without it and see.
    the cj repair me is, i think, unique in it's balancing moisture/protein capabilities. most of us on nc do not dc after it. everyone hair is different, so give it a try and see.

• curlyfoxcurlyfox Registered Users Posts: 9
    Hi There!

It's so inspiring to see you big chop and get rid of the damage so you can start natural!

I big chopped last year around August, I straightened my 3a hair for a year straight without any heat protectant and while it was wet.. Completely fried my hair ( literally ). I had my hair cut into a chin length bob to get rid of most of the damage. I haven't cut it since. Except for a bang experiment which didn't turn out very well.

Now it's armpit length with awkward layers I am growing out and recently became Curly Girl where I co wash only and avoid silicones and sulfates in all my hair products.

My hair is now getting it's curl back and with patience will be back to the ideal health and length.

I don't regret starting my natural hair journey, and it's nice to see you giving yourself a new start to curly hair too!. (:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG May 2015
    3a/3b Curls, Low Porosity, Course Texture, Thick
    Protein Sensitive
    Co Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Rinse out: Tresseme Naturals Moisture Rich
    Leave in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers:
    AG Recoil Cream
    La Looks Sport Gel
    Giovanni LA Style Gel
    rbb wrote: »
    it's a good idea as you go along with your new hair to get your hair properties, mostly the porosity might change.
    for fine hair protein is really important. high porosity needs to seal, but you might not need to anymore. try it without it and see.
    the cj repair me is, i think, unique in it's balancing moisture/protein capabilities. most of us on nc do not dc after it. everyone hair is different, so give it a try and see.

Yeah! sure! i'm going to get my properties checked back as soon as my hair start growing back,
    I've tried without sealing on the second day after big chop and i ended up dry as the sahara desert but i'm not sure if it's because my hair are still shocked or because they don't like to be sealed anymore.
    I'm gonna let you know how the CJRM alone works on saturday, so i can have time ^^ i always do my DT/DC on friday evening as i have plenty of time :)
    How long do you keep it up? i used to have it on my hair for like 30/45 minutes when they were long but i think that now it might be better to keep it in my hair for less time, maybe?

Ps i'm so happy that i'm inspiring someone with my big chop. truth is that i'm still wondering myself why the heck i did and it's difficult to go out and about like this :/ but i hang on as i know they will grow back, hopefully.
    the directions on the repair me is to leave it on for 5 - 10 minutes. i do it in the shower.
    you can add a plastic cap over it to open the cuticles.

your hair may have been dry because it needed protein? see how it is after the treatment.

Yeah! did this!
    Hot oil treatment with a mixture of coconut, castor and the yves rocher blend oil before dinner, i kept it on for like 30 min or so with a plastic cap, then i dropped in the shower, shampooed with the SM Coconut&Hibiscus shampoo and then used the CJ Repair me as per the directions. (*_* rbb i was thinking about you all the time.)
    Dropped out, patted with my microfiber towel and then styled with the CJ Curl Rehab as leave in, then a little more of the Yves Rocher oils blend and then the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie and....voilà!
    I can say that my hair feel a lot stronger, and they clumped. Really. At first it seemed my hair was like harder than usual, but before the leave they turned out to be smooth and strong and...wow. <3
    I can't believe what i've felt, really. Never felt my hair so strong in like forever.
    So yeah, i'm so happy! it seemed it all went good!
    How many times shall i use the CJ Repair Me? Twice a month?.
    glad it worked out.
    i don't know how often you should use it. my hair is normal texture, normal/coarse porosity, so i only use it a few times a year.
    people with fine hair use it more often, some maybe once a week.
    why don't you just go along and see how your hair is, if you think it needs another shot of protein.

Yeah! i''ll just go along and do this when i think my hair needs the next protein shot <3 many thanks rbb, you're so kind

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file