Damaged hair help

BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
I post this over and over but I don't really get an answer to my problem. (Sept a few which I'm thankful for!☺)
I have 3 patches of hair that have been damaged. (one on each side of my head (think of shaved sides) and one in the back)
My normal healthy hair is silky smooth soft etc... It is easy to manage typical 3b hair.
Now these patches of damaged hair are WAY different! It is dry ALL the time no matter how thick of a moisturizer I apply and seal. It is always crunchy like a potato chip and it always gets split ends. It looks like a 4a/4b; it never grows. It was never like this before I started straightening it a pulling it I to tight (and I do mean tight!) Styles. These problem areas are the parts that were treated the worst. Now I don't know what to do to revive it.
Help please!
(P.S. I will post pictures as soon as I can)

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
My Hair:
3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
DIY Shampoo
Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
It's a 10 Leave In
Sweet Almond Oil
Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

Comments

• fonkifonki Registered Users Posts: 353 Curl Neophyte
    I don't think there's anything u can do. Maybe it'll grow out. But from my own experience where I've similarly chemically damaged the top of my hair - it never grew out or fixed itself - 5 years after going natural now :( sorry but that's prob why you've had such a poor response. U might need to accept it for what it is
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair could be damaged beyond repair and it may have to just grow out. In the meantime, don't go back to styling your hair the way you were to get you to this point. In addition, continue to deep treat condition. You may benefit from steam treatments and below are my instructions for doing the treatments without the steamer.

Steam Treatment
    You will need:

• 2 turbie turbans from the Dollar Store
    • 2 plastic caps
    • 1 pair of rubber gloves
    • Deep conditioner of your choice

After co-washing or shampoo (loo or no) put a deep conditioner in your hair.

Wet 2 turbies and microwave in a bowl for 10 minutes.
      Wring out the turbies using the rubber gloves.
      Wrap hair with first turbie
      Cover turbie with plastic cap
      Repeat with second turbie and plastic cap
      In the end you will have turbie, plastic cap, turbie, and plastic cap.
      Sit under hair dryer for 20 minutes.
      Rinse and style hair as usual.

This has really helped me with moisture.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks! I was really hoping I could salvage the damaged hair but growing it out is always another option.

My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Ok, this is my hair texture:
    And my damage looks like this:
    Disclaimer the second and third picture is not mine I don't have a picture of the damage right now.

My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

• freshmintcurlsfreshmintcurls Registered Users Posts: 21
    It sounds like a combination of heat damage and a pissed off scalp. Heat damage is not fixable by any means, as far as I know...you can test it by wetting the hair and pulling it in opposite directions. If it snaps and stays limp without shrinking back or curling at all, it's deader than dead and you'll have to grow it out. If it still has some tiny amount of elasticity and crinkles up a bit, then you MAY be able to salvage it with excessive babying and moisturizing. You'll probably have to perm rod it cold to make it look ok, but otherwise touch it as little as possible.

You scalp will recover eventually, but you can opt to apply a little bit of oil if you want. Hair follicles just don't like being yanked on and eventually will stop growing hair if they become too damaged. Leaving it alone and avoiding tight styles like the plague is the best option. It will probably get better.
  • curlygirlINcurlygirlIN Registered Users Posts: 70
    I'm not really sure if there is a way to reverse extreme damage...but if you want to grow it out, there's a super quick and easy way. I got around two inches of growth in a week by flipping my head upside down and massaging it with baby oil for a few minutes each night.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Damaged hair is damaged, you can't really repair it. You just have to grow it out and routinely cut off the damaged ends until eventually you've cut out all of the damaged hair.

Hot oil treatments with penetrating oils like coconut can help prevent further damage, as well as weekly deep conditioning, but they won't fix it or reverse damage.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Ok, thanks you guys. I've really been considering shaving it off and starting fresh but were I am it is often scorned upon. But I will take all your advise it was really helpful. ☺

My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file