Shea Moisture Masks?

BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
Ok, so I am new to really deep conditioning, I have only done it once or twice in years. I have read the She Moisture Masks are good so I bought the Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment.

I guess I'm used to the "slip" I get with my conditioners because this stuff just sort of sat on my hair and even though I left it in for a few minutes I don't know that it really did much.

Are you supposed to condition with regular conditioners AFTER a deep treatment? Anyone use any of these (I know they make several of them)...

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, have the wrong expectations or if I just picked the wrong deep treatment. Help.
2C, low porosity, medium density
CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
Syler: KCCC. BRHG
Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    The SM masques are reeeaallly heavy. If it feels like it's just sitting on your hair then it probably is - especially since you have low porosity hair.

Also, the masques aren't to be used for conditioning. A masque is just to hold moisture in the hair. A deep conditioner has the conditioning properties. If you'd like a great cheap conditioner, I would recommend picking up a packet of Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner at Walmart. Don't be scared of the protein, I didn't find the protein did much for me personally, but it was excellent as a general deep conditioner.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Gotcha...I definitely need a boatload of moisture, the more I get, the nicer my curls look. Are masks not a good idea for low porosity? I thought they would be, but I'm new to this aspect of curl care. I'll check out the conditioner you recommended.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    The SM products have lots of shea butter, which does not penetrate the hair, it just sits on top of it and forms a barrier. So the SM products are usually not idea for low porosity hair. It depends on the person though. So if it's not working, then I would move on.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Ok, that makes sense. Need to find something new!!!

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have low porosity hair and I LOVE the SM masques. The one you were discussing is not my fave. I tend towards the Tahiti Noni one (in the green tub) because it provides a nice balance of protein and moisture. In fact, my curls in my profile picture are as a result of JUST DCing with that. In the winter I'll use one of the heavier ones when it gets colder but honestly they're my favorites.

However, if it's feeling really heavy for you then definitely try something else!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
    I have low porosity hair and I LOVE the SM masques. The one you were discussing is not my fave. I tend towards the Tahiti Noni one (in the green tub) because it provides a nice balance of protein and moisture. In fact, my curls in my profile picture are as a result of JUST DCing with that. In the winter I'll use one of the heavier ones when it gets colder but honestly they're my favorites.

However, if it's feeling really heavy for you then definitely try something else!

Ok, I'm going to take your advice and try a different one. Not really a fan of the smell of the one I have, either. Kinda gross.

• curlyfoxcurlyfox Posts: 9Registered Users
    I also noticed the SM masks are a bit heavy and sit on my 3a curls. One actually made my hair feel dry after I used it.

I once tried the Curl Junkie Curl Rehab deep conditioner, it cost about $20.00 on amazon it's a bit pricey, but worked really well and left my hair feeling buttery soft.

Even Sally's Beauty Supply offers a GVP Conditioning Balm that works incredible as a rinse out and deep treatment. It's fairly inexpensive.

I hope this helps you! (:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG May 2015
    3a/3b Curls, Low Porosity, Course Texture, Thick
    Protein Sensitive
    Co Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Rinse out: Tresseme Naturals Moisture Rich
    Leave in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers:
    AG Recoil Cream
    La Looks Sport Gel
    Giovanni LA Style Gel
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    I second using the GVP balm. I have an old bottle of the Biolage brand I recently rediscovered and added it to my coconut oil treatment, focusing the balm on the lower half of my hair, and my hair was incredibly soft and shiny afterwards. I am using coconut oil and the balm together from now on. I didn't know my hair could look or feel so good!

I leave mine on for 5 hours, and I have medium porosity. I probably don't need it that long, but that's just what I've gotten used to. So for you maybe do at least 5 hours, since you have low porosity.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    With the SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque, I always had to add olive oil with it, in order for it to provide my curls with more slip. Now, with their Yucca and Baobab Anti-Breakage Masque, I don't have to add anything to it for added slip, plus it has a better smell to it than the Raw Shea Butter one. These happen to be the only 2 masques from SM that I have tried thus far, however I do plan to try their JBCO Hair Masque in the future, since it has gotten a lot of rave reviews. Now, when I condition my hair, with whatever conditioner I choose to use, I always combine such with heat (I will either sit underneath my hair steamer or put on my Hot Head Cap) in order to achieve maximum penetration, along with maximum results. I will leave the conditioner in my hair anywhere from 30-60 minutes, before rinsing it out. And, after I rinse out the conditioner, I happen to style my hair as desired.

And, I have used both the name brand Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm, as well as the GVP knockoff version and they both happen to work very well in my hair, I must say.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • Keltey1031Keltey1031 Posts: 115Registered Users
    I haven't tried the Hask Keratin Deep Conditioner but I have tried the Hask Coconut Monoi Oil Nourishing Deep Conditioner and liked it. It's slightly thicker than their regular conditioner but works for my normal-low porosity, thick hair. The packettes are 1.75oz and $2.99 at Ulta (slightly more expensive than at Walgreens and Walmart). I got approximately 5 uses out of one packette. They also now carry 6oz squeeze tubes of the deep conditioners for $5.99 each, currently Buy 2 Get 1 Free.

GVP Balm is another good option. I find it doesn't give my hair as much slip. You may find adding olive oil or coconut oil helps.
    2b/armpit length/high density/normal porosity/medium texture/normal elasticity
    Cut hair from mid-back length to armpit length on 9/19/15

Current Products
    SM Strengthen Grow & Restore Shampoo
    SM Coconut Water Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    SM Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
    HE Naked Volumizing Souffle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file