How to get waist length hair?

YumoYumo Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi I'm new here and have thick 4b natural hair (with a random patch of 3b hair around the top/front) that is bra strap length when straightened. My goal is to have it waist length when straightened. Bra strap length is the longest it's ever been though.

I take care of my hair in general but am not super into it, like, I just wash it whenever it feels dirty (usually after a week or two), only comb it when it's wet and full of conditioner, and pretty much always have it up or in mini twists just because I don't like having it down. I straighten it a few times a year. I always sleep with a silk cap. I need a small trim (which I will be getting soon).

I've always wanted waist length hair so if you could tell me how to get there that would be great.

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Yumo wrote: »
    Hi I'm new here and have thick 4b natural hair (with a random patch of 3b hair around the top/front) that is bra strap length when straightened. My goal is to have it waist length when straightened. Bra strap length is the longest it's ever been though.

I take care of my hair in general but am not super into it, like, I just wash it whenever it feels dirty (usually after a week or two), only comb it when it's wet and full of conditioner, and pretty much always have it up or in mini twists just because I don't like having it down. I straighten it a few times a year. I always sleep with a silk cap. I need a small trim (which I will be getting soon).

I've always wanted waist length hair so if you could tell me how to get there that would be great.

Hi! :icon_smile:

I can provide words of advice, however, I cannot make any guarantees that such will allow for you to achieve waist length hair. Because there are a lot of factors that can cause hairloss and directly affect your hair growth retention. Such factors happen to be: wearing ones hair in tight hairstyles that cause a lot of tension on your hair and scalp, certain medications, chemotherapy, certain medical conditions, improper hair management, excessive use of direct heat used on ones hair, excessive manipulation of ones hair, etc.

When you mentioned about mainly wearing your hair up or in mini twists (which I am guessing are mini twist extensions, correct?) because you don't like wearing your hair down, I don't have any problems with your doing protective styling at times, but if you are not getting a whole lot of length retention to your hair, then I would recommend definitely changing things up. And, since you mentioned about your hair being bra strap length when straightened, at what length does it come to come to naturally at this time (without it being in an unstraightened state)?

Now, I would definitely recommend washing your hair at least once a week, doing a pre-poo first, then following such up with a sulfate free cleanser. And, then after that you would do a deep conditioning of your hair (preferably with heat-for maximum penetration, as well as, maximum results) After you rinse out the conditioner, then you would either follow such up with a leave in conditioner/moisturizer (per your hairs needs) or skip such and go right ahead to applying your styler of choice, whether you happen to prefer to use gels, creams, or either one in your hair. Once a month, I would definitely recommend that you do a clarifying wash if your hair, and when it comes to doing a protein treatment on your hair. I would recommend doing such once a month, however, if your hair currently needs more strengthening to it, then you can of course, opt to apply a protein treatment to your hair every other week instead.

As, it us very important that you have a good regimen in place that suports healthy hair growth, and remain consistent with such.

With 4b hair, you can still wear the the same types of styles as other curlies, with ease. As, you can wear you hair in wash n gos, twists/twistouts, braids/braid outs, sets (roller, rod, or strawsets), blowouts, bantu/bantu knot outs, buns, curly ponytails/puffs, etc.

I would definitely recommend getting your ends trimmed at least every 3 months, or possibly sooner than that, if you happen to become plagued by a lot of split ends for whatever reason, before then. Which is why, I would definitely recommend finding a good hairstylist, if you haven't already.

Overall, I certainly hope that you will find this info to be helpful to you. And, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to post them.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 308Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you have gotten your hair to BSL, press on. MBL is super close so maintaining your current regimen will get you there. I must warn you that MBL is a pain and a half. It is the space between the top of your bra and your waist. You could be in that range a while. Trust me, I know. I am MBL and waist is close but not close enough! lol

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file