Growing out Curly Bangs

BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
Let's just avoid the whole "Why would your dumba$$ get bangs in the first place" discussion because it really did sound like a good idea at the time...

But now that I've gone curly full-time and they are too long to be straightened, and they look like wings when I try to allow them to curl, what do I do?
2C, low porosity, medium density
CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
Syler: KCCC. BRHG
Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I did one of two things:

I twisted them in strands and pinned them back under other strands of hair to the side
    -or-
    I curled them manually with either plastic rollers or a curling wand or brush on as low heat as I could get away with.

I miss my bangs but know that cutting them in again would be a big mistake (sigh). At least my hubby prefers me without them. I'm not so convinced LOL
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    I have bangs that I don't cut as often as I should. I second the twisting them off to the side. You can make a short french braid that goes into the side of your hair, or my fallback in a hurry is to put them straight back and then push forward the slightest bit and pin, So you have a bit of that rocker look. I don't even always put all of my bangs back, but the section from about the middle of each eyebrow, it just depends what I'm feeling that day.

Even when they're short enough I pin them back if they end up funny after sleeping. I also dry my bangs first and lift them straight up while twisting them, and move them to one side and then the other. That helps them to dry right when I'm not using a round brush for a blowout. If you mostly dry them and leave them to one side, you can then push them to the other when they're almost fully dry and they should have a better lift and shape and you can do the sweeping side bang look, if they not too too long yet. That's how I dry mine when I do the curly look so that they are mostly straight but still blend in with the wavy look I'm doing, if that makes sense.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I also agree with pinning them back or twisting them off to the side. I've cut bangs in and grown them back out more times than I can count, and I've always ended up twisting them to the side or pinning them back when they reach a certain length.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Struggling with this big time. I tend to pull one side back and clip it but that exposes my mile high forehead which I don't like. I much much much prefer to keep bang swept across and down. So I have no idea what to do lately and I'm really not liking this aspect of my curly hair. I am so not used to having my face being out there like BAM, WORLD, LOOK AT THIS FACE! I admit I still use light heat from time to time and just rock straight bangs with my pitiful waves around my face.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Someone posted this on WHC the other day. The name makes me laugh but it might work.

Beauty Natural DIY Front Hair Bang Curler Pin Clip Fringe Styling Curving Tool
    Amazon.com : Beauty Natural DIY Front Hair Bang Curler Pin Clip Fringe Styling Curving Tool AOSTEK(TM) : Beauty
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    That clip is awesome! It's out of stock, unfortunately. I love the name LOL.

Mine are in that odd "too short for one thing" and "too long for another thing" phase. I've been just allowing them to curl in with my regular curls but they just look terrible and I need an alternative. I guess it's time to buy some bobby pins to throw in the ol' purse, eh?

I can dry them straight, but they are too long to keep that way unless they are pinned. If I pin them curly the curls pop out throughout the day and look absurd. I'm thinking it's going to be at least 6 months or more until they really blend, so I needed some creative ideas. Thank you, ladies!!

• curlyfoxcurlyfox Posts: 9Registered Users
    I am currently growing out my bangs as well. I thought it was a good idea to get full bangs across my forehead in my 3a curls. I did it myself and fully regret it. :sad:

But I mostly just clip mine into my longer strands or braid them to the side, when they bother me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG May 2015
    3a/3b Curls, Low Porosity, Course Texture, Thick
    Protein Sensitive
    Co Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Rinse out: Tresseme Naturals Moisture Rich
    Leave in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers:
    AG Recoil Cream
    La Looks Sport Gel
    Giovanni LA Style Gel
    curlyfox wrote: »
    I am currently growing out my bangs as well. I thought it was a good idea to get full bangs across my forehead in my 3a curls. I did it myself and fully regret it. :sad:

But I mostly just clip mine into my longer strands or braid them to the side, when they bother me.

Uh, YEP. That's exactly what I did. Super awkward. Bobby Pins are my friend daily until they grow out. UGH!!:error::angry4::banghead:

• ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ok guys. I'm going for a trim tomorrow and I think I am going to have her trim up the front ends a bit to get rid of some damage and bring the length closer to the length in the back. Plus, I am going to ask for bangs. Not serious dramatic bangs, but tiny pieces at the very very front of the hairline to give some forehead coverage.

I had a patch right in the front and center break off right at the hairline several months back and I called it my soul patch. It grew out slowly along with the other longer bangs and it's now just a single peice that is shorter than all the other bangs that are chin length. It's gotta have a few friends and I've realized I look hideous with absolutely no bangs.

I'm confident in her as of now. I think my stylist is really good....its just that she has only cut my hair since my big chop into a stacked straight bob about 5 years ago. I'll give her a go with my wavy hair and see how it goes. It is about to be seen whether I can "do" hair with any length. I was shocked I could do a straight short bob, so we will see.

Also does anyone know how to freaking drain fluid buildup from behind the eardrum? I've got a popping that is driving me nuts and the Dr gave me meds which I have completed but I still have the popping sensation. Ugh.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
    ttoosday wrote: »
    Ok guys. I'm going for a trim tomorrow and I think I am going to have her trim up the front ends a bit to get rid of some damage and bring the length closer to the length in the back. Plus, I am going to ask for bangs. Not serious dramatic bangs, but tiny pieces at the very very front of the hairline to give some forehead coverage.

What you are describing wouldn't look bad w/ curls, I did a very thick, blunt bang straight across (this was back when I was flat ironing everyday)... and they did look really good, but now that I'm curly I want to not have to keep straightening them and have them blend in. I was not thinking of my curls when I made such a drastic cut. You seem to know what you're going for, I think it will look great! Post some pics when you're done.

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried the "hold your bangs straight out and cut across to layer" thing? That won't cut off any length but WILL help your bangs to "blend in" a lot better. You can probably find a good YouTube video showing you how to do it. It's basically the way all hairdressers "layer" bangs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file