Hi from Canada!

CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
Hello all!

I've been browsing the forums for a while, so thought it was time to introduce myself.

I'm Canadian. A group fitness instructor, registered dietitian, and marathon runner. So I sweat a lot. ;)

I'd had LONG hair (hitting just below my bust line) for a long time. Started growing my hair out in grade 7, and I'm 43 now. ;) My long hair was SO easy to take care of - wash and wear. It had a gentle wave in it, but that never really mattered - it was still wash and wear!

Last June I decided to do the hair donation thing, so had my lovely long hair cut off. The stylist ended up cutting it a little shorter than I wanted (I wanted to be able to put it in a ponytail still - she cut off more than that, and gave me layers - ugh - not easy to deal with when running and teaching fitness classes!)

So, I ended up blow drying it straight all winter long, because the lovely waves in my long hair ended up being annoying waves (sticking out in all the wrong directions) with my shorter hair. Finally in March I said enough! I decided to try styling my hair naturally, and letting the natural wave come out.

So I went to a local salon, where they introduced me to the Curly Girl method, gave me a Deva cut, and introduced me to the Deva Curl products. I love how they make my waves/curls look, but with all my fitness activities I have to wash my hair everyday (or else my scalp breaks out with acne) and so things are getting expensive! So I'm now experimenting with other products, which is why I decided to join the forums! I'm envious of all the American ladies with their easier access to so many products!

My hair is now chin length, 2B, coarse, thick (although I'm lost some thickness thanks to hypothyroidism - boo!). Medium brown, with a few lighter brown/blonde natural highlights (from running outside) and a few grey strands (but not much). Haven't coloured it in over a year. Used to perm it back in high school, but haven't had one since 1992 or so.

Other things about me: married, no children, just three very demanding cats that think they are dogs (seriously, they follow us around from room to room, needs tons of attention, etc.)

I live in a small city, but one of the larger cities in Canada is an hour away, so I shop there maybe once a month (and hope to be able to find some products that I can't find in my small city there).

I look forward to reading more on the forums and to contributing!
Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Welcome! :wave:

I think that it was a very wonderful thing that you did, by choosing to get your long locks cut and donated towards helping someone in need.

I am glad to hear that the Deva products provide your curls with great results, however, I can totally understand about them being costly. And, we all have different budgets to go by, of course. So, I am hoping that you will be able to find cheaper alternatives that will work for your hair just as good.

Wish you all the best with your Curly Girl journey! :sunny:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    WELCOME! So glad to have you here. These folks have helped me immensely on my journey. I still have a lot to learn, but it sure does feel good to know I'm not alone. We curlies have to stick together!!
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, and welcome. If you haven't yet, take a look at this thread. Some of the info is out of date, but it's generally useful
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/swap-board-canadians/51087-canadians-where-buy-products-while-living-canada.html
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    Thanks for the welcomes! I really miss my long hair, but I know it will grow back. I really hate having to do so much to get my hair to behave! When it was long I could wash and condition at night, it would dry (most of the way) before bed, and the next day I could wear it down, or up in a multitude of ways. Now I HAVE to style it, since I can't put it in a ponytail, and with the wave in it, I can't let it dry without any products or styling because the waves will all curl outwards or stick out like horns.

I know it will grow back, but it is so hard to be patient!
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • FrugalbeautyFrugalbeauty Posts: 5Registered Users
    Hello from a fellow Canadian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file