Products for 2B Hair? - Need to Wash Daily

CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
I'm a group fitness instructor and runner (I train for marathons). If I don't wash my hair daily, my scalp breaks out with all kinds of acne. :(

I have wavy hair, with a bit of curls. My hair is thick and coarse. Water in our area is very hard. We have a water softener, but we still get build up in the shower, so it's clear there is still quite a bit of hardness in the water!

A local salon introduced me to the Deva Curl products, and while I love the curls the products give me, I don't like the breakouts I'm getting on my scalp! They are also rather pricey.

Does anyone have any recommendations for products I can use that won't do too much damage when used daily? In particular, I could use some "low poo" recommendations.

I'm in Canada, so some of the outlets people have mentioned aren't available here. I'm also in a rather small city, but shop in a larger city about once a month.

Thanks!
Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse

Comments

• BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Your hair sound a lot like mine... please check out my blog, I've got all kinds of tips, tricks and advice there.

BUT.... I am like you, I actually really like Deva Curl, but hate the price. Especially if you have to wash everyday. If you're CoWashing, I have read that Suave Coconut conditioner is an excellent Cowash and SUPER cheap.

I love As I Am coconut Cowash (they sell it in the ethnic section of pretty much every drugstore here, so I would think you should be able to find it there?) And also the Shea Moisture products are good, but can also get costly if you use a lot of product.

Gels: Aussie Instant Freeze for cheap, Kinky Curly Curling Custard if you want to spend a little more. Both can be found in drugstores.

I would Co-Wash 4-5 days a week and do Kinky Curly Come Clean sulfate-free shampoo the other two days if you MUST use a low-poo. I think you will find, the longer you go, that you won't have any grease issues with just co-washing. My scalp is in the best shape ever and I almost exclusively Co-Wash.

Hope this helps!
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    Thanks Bluejacketsgirl! I can get the As I Am and Kinky Curly products through Amazon.ca, so will give those a try when I'm out of DevaCurl stuff.

Hopefully my scalp will get used to the cowashing. In the past I've had to use products with salicylic acid to deal with the scalp acne, and I don't want to have to do that again (I find it dries my hair and my scalp). I do like how my waves/curls look with the NoPoo/cowashing!
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    Also, coconut oil treatments might help your scalp. I rub warm coconut oil straight into my scalp, like I'm cowashing, about twice a week, then smooth it through the rest of my hair. On top of being awesome for hair, it has great scalp healing properties. It helps buildup, itchiness, and balances your scalp's natural oils. In chemistry terms, like dissolves like. So oil can be beneficial in dissolving oil, and clearing up skin. It is also widely touted to have antibacterial properties, although I haven't read any research on the subject.

I usually do a treatment every 2 weeks and leave it on for several hours, but my scalp is a bit dry. So for you, it might work better to do it for 10-20 minutes before you shampoo, maybe every time you shampoo or 1-2 times a week.

And If you ever put it on all of your hair you might need to shampoo twice, which is what I do, but the 2nd time I do half sulfate free shampoo and half conditioner so I don't strip my hair too much. And if coconut oil ends up being a bit too heavy if your scalp is very oily, a lighter oil, like grapeseed may work. Not sure how it rinses out of hair, but I use that to oil cleanse my face and it doesn't give my sensitive skin any problems.

Just a thought! It may not work for you, or it may take some trial and error, but I thought I'd offer the suggestion so you can at least give it a shot instead of resorting to putting harsher meds in your hair right away.

Let me know if you have any luck with it!
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
    I use coconut oil to clean our cats (we have Sphynx - hairless cats) but never thought to try it on myself! I may have to give it a go.

Just found the Tresemme products that I've seen mentioned a bunch of times on the forum at my local drugstore, so I'm excited to try one of them as a cowash, at least until I can get my hands on some other things to try.
  • chupiechupie Curl Connoisseur Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Caylynn wrote: »
    I'm a group fitness instructor and runner (I train for marathons). If I don't wash my hair daily, my scalp breaks out with all kinds of acne. :(

I have wavy hair, with a bit of curls. My hair is thick and coarse. Water in our area is very hard. We have a water softener, but we still get build up in the shower, so it's clear there is still quite a bit of hardness in the water!

A local salon introduced me to the Deva Curl products, and while I love the curls the products give me, I don't like the breakouts I'm getting on my scalp! They are also rather pricey.

Does anyone have any recommendations for products I can use that won't do too much damage when used daily? In particular, I could use some "low poo" recommendations.

I'm in Canada, so some of the outlets people have mentioned aren't available here. I'm also in a rather small city, but shop in a larger city about once a month.

Thanks!

Honestly I dilute sulphate shampoo and use it on the scalp. It really doesn't even take much actual poo in the water to help with that. Put it in an applicator bottle from Sally's. Not all wavies can co-wash. If you find you break out, and you need extra scalp care, you can do this and still not dry out the length of your hair. Keep your conditioner away from the scalp. Apply it two inches out and down. If I had your issues, I'd sure do that.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Thanks Chupie! I never thought about diluting shampoo to use on my scalp, so I'll have to give that a try too! So many different things to try. :) I'm learning so much from these boards and everyone's blogs.
  • BabyfineBabyfine Curl Novice Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    Is Dry shampoo an option? I wash every other day with sulfate free shampoo (Devacurl) and use a sulfate once every 7-10 days. Otherwise I get buildup/breakouts on my scalp. I also work out every day. It used to be worse when I was younger but now that I'm in my late 50's my scalp and skin have stopped producing quite as much oil. Still I need to wash at least every other day.
    I like Tresseme's dry shampoo for dry curly hair I'm also looking to try others. On non-wash day I like to use dry shampoo.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
    Okay, after doing a lot more research and reading (I've been home sick this week :( so lots of time to read and research), I'm wondering if my hair is more 2A. Or maybe 2A in the front with some 2B mixed in.

Here are some photos of my hair wet, with no product (just some LI). I'll try to get some of it dry, and some with product in it.

Thanks!
    And this is it dry, with just LI (although I think I used too much LI - hair is stringy and a bit "crunchy").
    Okay, after doing a lot more research and reading (I've been home sick this week :( so lots of time to read and research), I'm wondering if my hair is more 2A. Or maybe 2A in the front with some 2B mixed in.

Here are some photos of my hair wet, with no product (just some LI). I'll try to get some of it dry, and some with product in it.

Thanks!

Gorgeous. I'd say 2a/b. It looks quite a lot like my pattern when I have layers cut in (which I desperately need), but more to the b side than me. I'm solidly A/b you are more like a/B.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    chupie wrote: »

Thanks!

Gorgeous. I'd say 2a/b. It looks quite a lot like my pattern when I have layers cut in (which I desperately need), but more to the b side than me. I'm solidly A/b you are more like a/B.

Thanks chupie! And thanks for your youtube videos - I've been browsing them and they are great for technique ideas. :) I want to try the conditioner-only styling in particular, especially on days that I'll be teaching a fitness class.
    And this is it dry, with just LI (although I think I used too much LI - hair is stringy and a bit "crunchy").

Yeah, probably a little producty today, but you can keep trying to scrunch it out. Also, if that happens to me, 2 nd day turns out really need.

Yeah, probably a little producty today, but you can keep trying to scrunch it out. Also, if that happens to me, 2 nd day turns out really need.

Yeah, I scrunched out the LI, and it looks pretty good. :) Except for the pieces in front - they are definitely 2A, whereas my sides are nice and 2B, I think.

Yeah, I scrunched out the LI, and it looks pretty good. :) Except for the pieces in front - they are definitely 2A, whereas my sides are nice and 2B, I think.

Sausage curls in the back too!
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with Chupie. The back is definitely at least 2b. The front might be 2a but the back is curlier than what a 2a would be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
    And here's my second day hair. So yesterday just had LI (and too much - had to SOTC). Today I refreshed with water and Tresemme Perfectly Undone Sea Salt spray. It's really humid out today and it's raining (my hair got a bit of additional wetness due to the rain before these pics).

Lots of curl on the bottom, not much on top. I definitely think I need to experiment with different root clipping methods (or try putting product closer to the roots) if I want some body or volume there.

Any suggestions? Or do I just have to accept that with my curl pattern I'll be straighter near the roots and curlier near the bottom? Thanks!

2nd-day - 1.jpg

2nd-day - 2.jpg
    Do you pineapple at night? That is how I keep root volume.
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    And here's my second day hair. So yesterday just had LI (and too much - had to SOTC). Today I refreshed with water and Tresemme Perfectly Undone Sea Salt spray. It's really humid out today and it's raining (my hair got a bit of additional wetness due to the rain before these pics).

Lots of curl on the bottom, not much on top. I definitely think I need to experiment with different root clipping methods (or try putting product closer to the roots) if I want some body or volume there.

Any suggestions? Or do I just have to accept that with my curl pattern I'll be straighter near the roots and curlier near the bottom? Thanks!

2nd-day - 1.jpg

2nd-day - 2.jpg

I got a LOT more curl at my roots when I started using the Equate Lube stuff and diffusing. It works beautifully. I start with Creamy Baby Oil. That gives my curls "all day staying power" but I love what the Lube is doing for my hair. And I've tried Curl Keeper (lube is sometimes used as a substitute for Curl Keeper) and I like the Lube a LOT better, actually. I use the Equate brand 8 ounce stuff with a pump that I get from Amazon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    I'm so curious about using curl keeper or the liquid lube. Isn't it mostly glycerin? People say it's a frizz fighter for the summer months especially, but that seems odd to me, because wouldn't glycerin be a frizz magnet for the humid summer months? How does it fight frizz?
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
    ^^^ i always wonder this.
    Do you pineapple at night? That is how I keep root volume.

Hmm, never tried to pineapple, since the back wouldn't fit in one. I suppose I could try to pineapple the front on those rare days when I want second day hair.
    Yeah that's good enough to keep volume.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file