2nd Day Hair

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Gah!

I don't know what to do about 2nd day hair.... If I apply refresher product, my hair just becomes kinda piecey or stringy, but if I brush it, then it becomes frizzy.

Any ideas?!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    What kind of refresher product are you using? Are you reapplying your styling products? Are you applying it to all of your hair or just pieces that need refreshing? How much refresher are you applying?

Obviously, different things work for different people. The only way I'm able to get second day is if I spray all of my hair with water until it's damp, and then reapply small amounts of my styling products (LI & gels) by scrunching and letting it air dry. By small amounts, I mean maybe a nickel of LI and a dime size of gel. For my hair, less is definitely more when it comes to second day hair.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    I have to spray my hair down pretty heavily with water and diffuse for a few minutes to get my curl back. A spray doesn't really work, it has to be water and I have to re-diffuse to get the bounce. Then when it's fully dry I scrunch a little and flip my head upside down and shake it out. LOL. Ridiculous I know, but these are the things we do for good hair.
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm... I haven't been doing the spray with water til damp thing... I've just been using a small amount of CJ CCCL. I'll lightly smooth over the canopy and "pull" my hair into a ponytail and then scrunch the rest in, but maybe I'll try adding some water too.

Current Products:

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    Maybe dampen your hair with water first, then add the CJ CCCL? I swear, rewetting hair makes all the difference, especially for us wavies/wurlies.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i mostly don't refresh 2nd day hair, it's usually better left alone.
    for the times that i do, i use ONE of the following -- sometimes more conditioner, i.e. deep fix, and sometimes just cj cccc. either one i spread some onto my hands, then run my hands quickly under a drizzly cold faucet, just enough water to emulsify the product in my hair. cccc works very well this way.
    other times i'll use cj pp, but by itself, no water.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i should add that the days i do not refresh, i massage the roots of my hair with my fingertips. and sometimes just dry, sometimes i run them under water first.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Double post sorry!

Maybe dampen your hair with water first, then add the CJ CCCL? I swear, rewetting hair makes all the difference, especially for us wavies/wurlies.

YES YES YES. If you haven't tried this, you should. Makes all the difference and my curls usually look way better on the 2nd day!

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for all the tips, guys!

I was also thinking of looking into a hard hold gel. I find that hard hold gels keep my curls pretty in tact. Any recs?Also, I tried @SereneCurls suggestion to do a leave-in, then gel, then plop and then add more gel to damp hair. Works like a charm!

Current Products:

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Refreshing with sprays makes my hair angry. Any watery type product or spritz just gives me major frizz. For second day hair I just get some conditioner (normal conditioner, not a leave-in) and put it on my dry hair. About a fifty pence size on each side, depending on what my hair looks like. I kind of just smooth it on, paying particular attention to the ends. Leave it for fifteen minutes or so to 'dry' and then, if needed scrunch and fluff it up to get rid of any sort of cast that may have formed. Then BAM perfect second-day hair. And third day and, sometimes, even fourth.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Refreshing with sprays makes my hair angry. Any watery type product or spritz just gives me major frizz. For second day hair I just get some conditioner (normal conditioner, not a leave-in) and put it on my dry hair. About a fifty pence size on each side, depending on what my hair looks like. I kind of just smooth it on, paying particular attention to the ends. Leave it for fifteen minutes or so to 'dry' and then, if needed scrunch and fluff it up to get rid of any sort of cast that may have formed. Then BAM perfect second-day hair. And third day and, sometimes, even fourth.
    Im going to give this a go in the next few days. Im going camping and i think my hair will be dry from being outside so much, so the extra moisture might be needed! Plus it will dry faster than spritzing with watery conditioner hopefully.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte

This American had to look up what a fifty pence was. :D :D :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte

This American had to look up what a fifty pence was. :D :D :D

LOL. I had to do that when I first heard people talking about 'dime-sized' amounts.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • hellokt1813hellokt1813 Posts: 10Registered Users
    I always wondered how Curly Girls do second-day hair, as it hasn't been successful for me. I've tried 2 different "refresher" sprays now (Shea Moisture and Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz) and I don't see much difference from my bed head. :) But to be fair, I've been putting these products on dry hair and I probably wasn't using them correctly. I'm here to learn from you, ladies, so I haven't returned those products. So I think I will dampen my hair and try again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file