Should I get a curly perm?

jm_jm_ Posts: 66Registered Users
Hey everyone. I had an account here before but lost my login info :(
I have 2B/2C hair and I dyed it a dark red/maroon color a few months back. My roots came out about an inch and my hair has lost its curl since I dyed it a few months ago. I did a protein treatment with aphogee 2 step protein treatment last week then i dc overnight and my hair improved a bit. I think I'm going to do the treatment once every two weeks. I don't have split ends and my hair doesn't break off or get single strand knots. I've been babying my hair and it's been in good shape but just not as curly as I would like it to be. Should I get a curly perm to get the 3b curls I'm craving?

I've attempted bantu knots, perm rods, twist outs, and flexi rod sets but my hair is so fine and it doesn't hold up well. I want natural looking curls and I feel like my only option is a curly perm. Someone help!! :sad1:
Current length - Shoulder length
Goal Length - Waist Length
Hair Type - 3A
Current Color - Black

I shampoo with : Cantu JBCO Shampoo
I condition with : Aussie Moist
I deep condition with : Mielle Organics DC
I style with : Mielle organics leave in conditioner, as I Am curling jelly, and aphogee keratin and green tea spray

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, no.

My opinion is based on my own efforts to encourage curl. Like you, I have 2b/c hair, and when I was starting the CG method, I went a little overboard. Because my hair would not consistently curl, I permed it, overlooking my natural wave pattern. It didn't damage my hair, but it was just another way of fighting what nature gave me. In time, I realized I no more wanted to be tied to a curling chemical process than most members here want to depend on a straightening one. So, I grew it out, and let my waves do their thing.

I still wish I had a tighter curl or wave pattern, but fighting my hair was an expensive, smelly nuisance. I'm more at ease with what I've got now, no matter what stylists say to me (apropos of nothing, usually —I don't ask anyone to "fix" my semi-wavy hair).

That's my take. I hope that whatever you decide, it works out well.
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Whenever use use any type of chemical treatment in your hair (whether it's chemical hair dye, chemical relaxers, chemical texturizers, chemical curly perms), how you properly manage your hair afterwards is what largely affects the outcome of ones hair afterwards. Because any time you use snything on your hair that has a high alkaline level to it, you are offsetting your hairs natural oh level, and it us very critical that you you use the proper products afterwards that will allow for ones hair to become properly balanced ph wise again.

I dye my mother's naturally curly hair every 3-4 months, and I also have her on a set regimen specifically suited for the overall management of her color treated, naturally curly hair. My mother has never lost her curl pattern or experienced any devastating effects to her hair, ever since I took over educating her on exactly how to best care for her hair. However, before that, the regimen that she had wasn't the best suited one for her hairs needs, and her hair did experience breakage and other issues.

Getting a chemical curly perm requires proper maintenance, and if you are going to possibly continue to color treat your hair, while its in a chemically, curly permed state, then you will surely need to have a proper regimen in place that will be best suited towards keeping your hair as healthy as possible and in a well thriving state.

What I think that you need most is a regimen to suit your hair's current needs and to allow for you to be able to wear your hair out with little to no frustration or worry. You really only need a sulfate free cleanser, moisturizing conditioner, and curl defining cream or gel, to manage your hair on a regular basis. You would use a leave in, per your hair's specific needs. And, you would use a protein treatment on your hair as needed(per your hairs own individual needs). Everyone's hair responds to the different types of proteins that exists in a variety of ways. Which is why, it is always best to find out which protein or proteins your hair responds best to and at what specific percentage(s). Now, just maintaining a simple, and easy curly hair regimen that works best for your own hairs specific needs would certainly be much cheaper overall, than getting a curly perm, and then having to pay to pay to have to get it constantly re-touched in order to maintain it.

And, from the info provided, it doesn't appear that after you colored your hair, that you had a proper regimen in place, that was best suited for the maintenance of your color-treated, naturally wavy hair. For some problems doing back-to-back protein treatments can be a great aid towards resolving ones hair's issues. However, the use of back-to back protein treatments on a regular basis to fix an issue that one may have with their hair can sometimes end up being too much, and one can really end up with very dried out, super brittle hair, that may start shedding a lot due to protein overload. To have truly healthy hair, ones hair needs to be given an adequate amount of both moisture and protein.

Plus, a great way to get more definition and volume, is through the use of a diffuser. I don't know if you've ever tried such, however, if you haven't, then by all means, I would certainly recommend giving it a go!
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • jm_jm_ Posts: 66Registered Users
    Whenever use use any type of chemical treatment in your hair (whether it's chemical hair dye, chemical relaxers, chemical texturizers, chemical curly perms), how you properly manage your hair afterwards is what largely affects the outcome of ones hair afterwards. Because any time you use snything on your hair that has a high alkaline level to it, you are offsetting your hairs natural oh level, and it us very critical that you you use the proper products afterwards that will allow for ones hair to become properly balanced ph wise again.

I dye my mother's naturally curly hair every 3-4 months, and I also have her on a set regimen specifically suited for the overall management of her color treated, naturally curly hair. My mother has never lost her curl pattern or experienced any devastating effects to her hair, ever since I took over educating her on exactly how to best care for her hair. However, before that, the regimen that she had wasn't the best suited one for her hairs needs, and her hair did experience breakage and other issues.

Getting a chemical curly perm requires proper maintenance, and if you are going to possibly continue to color treat your hair, while its in a chemically, curly permed state, then you will surely need to have a proper regimen in place that will be best suited towards keeping your hair as healthy as possible and in a well thriving state.

What I think that you need most is a regimen to suit your hair's current needs and to allow for you to be able to wear your hair out with little to no frustration or worry. You really only need a sulfate free cleanser, moisturizing conditioner, and curl defining cream or gel, to manage your hair on a regular basis. You would use a leave in, per your hair's specific needs. And, you would use a protein treatment on your hair as needed(per your hairs own individual needs). Everyone's hair responds to the different types of proteins that exists in a variety of ways. Which is why, it is always best to find out which protein or proteins your hair responds best to and at what specific percentage(s). Now, just maintaining a simple, and easy curly hair regimen that works best for your own hairs specific needs would certainly be much cheaper overall, than getting a curly perm, and then having to pay to pay to have to get it constantly re-touched in order to maintain it.

And, from the info provided, it doesn't appear that after you colored your hair, that you had a proper regimen in place, that was best suited for the maintenance of your color-treated, naturally wavy hair. For some problems doing back-to-back protein treatments can be a great aid towards resolving ones hair's issues. However, the use of back-to back protein treatments on a regular basis to fix an issue that one may have with their hair can sometimes end up being too much, and one can really end up with very dried out, super brittle hair, that may start shedding a lot due to protein overload. To have truly healthy hair, ones hair needs to be given an adequate amount of both moisture and protein.

Plus, a great way to get more definition and volume, is through the use of a diffuser. I don't know if you've ever tried such, however, if you haven't, then by all means, I would certainly recommend giving it a go!

Can I message you to talk more about a better regimen? I've cut down from using a leave-in, mousse, gel, and curling cream to just leave-in and curl cream but my hair doesn't cut like it used to. And my hair hasn't reacted negatively towards protein. Normally if I do the aphogee protein treatment, I do an argan oil deep conditioner overnight and my curls are amazing so I think I balance both out well. I also diffuse because I hate going to work with soaking wet hair but when I diffuse, my hair gets frizzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol.
    Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

I style with : Mielle organics leave in conditioner, as I Am curling jelly, and aphogee keratin and green tea spray
    Can anyone else help? I really want all around 3A or 3B curls :-?
    Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you want it, go for it. Nobody can tell you what to do. I got a curly perm when I thought I had just a slight wave.. didn't realize I had what I have now. It worked for me to get an even pattern all over my head. It was when I was coloring my hair too. My hair has always been super healthy and strong so I never had an issue.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    You can continue to PM at anytime, and I will continue to do my best to assist in helping you with any questions or concerns that you have.

I am not sure if the picture shown of your hair is a current one or not? If it is, after checking out your picture, I was able to see the top part of your hair has a more looser curl pattern than the rest of your hair actually has. Your top area is what I would consider to be a 2b, everywhere else, I consider your hair to be a 3a/3b.

When it comes to usage of products, I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on curl type, because there are many products out there that individuals with different hair types and hair textures are able to equally use. It's all about journeying to find out what works best for your individual hair and it's needs.

And, yes, of course, you do have the absolute right to do with your hair, as you so choose, whether it comes to getting a curly perm or anything else. However, with any chemical service that one gets, it is VERY important that one knows how to best maintain their hair while its in a chemically processed state. Because if not, there's always a chance that your hair may end up suffering damage as a result.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    sixelamy wrote: »
    If you want it, go for it. Nobody can tell you what to do. I got a curly perm when I thought I had just a slight wave.. didn't realize I had what I have now. It worked for me to get an even pattern all over my head. It was when I was coloring my hair too. My hair has always been super healthy and strong so I never had an issue.

Did it look good? Was it a lot to keep up with?
    Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

You can continue to PM at anytime, and I will continue to do my best to assist in helping you with any questions or concerns that you have.

I am not sure if the picture shown of your hair is a current one or not? If it is, after checking out your picture, I was able to see the top part of your hair has a more looser curl pattern than the rest of your hair actually has. Your top area is what I would consider to be a 2b, everywhere else, I consider your hair to be a 3a/3b.

When it comes to usage of products, I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on curl type, because there are many products out there that individuals with different hair types and hair textures are able to equally use. It's all about journeying to find out what works best for your individual hair and it's needs.

And, yes, of course, you do have the absolute right to do with your hair, as you so choose, whether it comes to getting a curly perm or anything else. However, with any chemical service that one gets, it is VERY important that one knows how to best maintain their hair while its in a chemically processed state. Because if not, there's always a chance that your hair may end up suffering damage as a result.

Yes the picture is my hair currently and that's what I'm afraid of happening (the damage)..I want to avoid damaging my curls as much as possible
    Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    It IS your hair and you are free to do what you want. However, with the amount of curl you have (you appear to have a lot of curl), I'll bet you can get a "3A lookalike" with certain products. The main products I use to enhance curl are these:

1. Creamy Baby Oil. Mineral oil is phenomenal for making curls "clump" and look beautiful and the creamy baby oil is much, MUCH easier to work with than baby oil or mineral oil. This site has several articles about it. Apparently coconut oil does the same, BUT coconut oil will "absorb" into your hair shaft and when it does that, the curl enhancement is lost. Mineral oil stays on the surface and holds moisture inside your hair.

2. Equate Personal Lubricant, which I purchase in the 8 ounce pump bottle from Amazon. It's the same as K-Y Jelly. That stuff is amazing for enhancing curl. I have tried the Curl Keeper, which Lube is a substitute for, but I like the Lube a LOT better.

3. Curl enhancing gels. One of the very best ones is the Garnier Fructis cream gel. That really enhances curl and is inexpensive. Actually, all three of these things are inexpensive. I also use the Sweet Curls Flax/Okra Defining Gel Elixir which you can get on Etsy. That is a very "curl enhancing" gel as well and doesn't cost much.

With just those four things and being CG with your washing and conditioning, I'll bet you can get some really decent curls. I'm actually a 2C but can make my hair look very much like Keri Russell's hair looked in her Felicity shows or some of her older movies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
    It IS your hair and you are free to do what you want. However, with the amount of curl you have (you appear to have a lot of curl), I'll bet you can get a "3A lookalike" with certain products. The main products I use to enhance curl are these:

1. Creamy Baby Oil. Mineral oil is phenomenal for making curls "clump" and look beautiful and the creamy baby oil is much, MUCH easier to work with than baby oil or mineral oil. This site has several articles about it. Apparently coconut oil does the same, BUT coconut oil will "absorb" into your hair shaft and when it does that, the curl enhancement is lost. Mineral oil stays on the surface and holds moisture inside your hair.

2. Equate Personal Lubricant, which I purchase in the 8 ounce pump bottle from Amazon. It's the same as K-Y Jelly. That stuff is amazing for enhancing curl. I have tried the Curl Keeper, which Lube is a substitute for, but I like the Lube a LOT better.

3. Curl enhancing gels. One of the very best ones is the Garnier Fructis cream gel. That really enhances curl and is inexpensive. Actually, all three of these things are inexpensive. I also use the Sweet Curls Flax/Okra Defining Gel Elixir which you can get on Etsy. That is a very "curl enhancing" gel as well and doesn't cost much.

With just those four things and being CG with your washing and conditioning, I'll bet you can get some really decent curls. I'm actually a 2C but can make my hair look very much like Keri Russell's hair looked in her Felicity shows or some of her older movies.

I've heard about lube being great for curls so I'll look into it. And my hair looked very curly in the picture but I'll try and post a better pic to show my hair. I'll definitely check out the defining gel elixir you mentioned as well. Thank you!! :)
    Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file