How long can you go between washings?

CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
I'd love to know what other wavies can typically get away with.

I'm having a minor (or major!) miracle right now in that this is my 4th day hair, with zero refreshing or products added since it was washed. My waves and wurls are still bouncy, soft, and almost completely frizz free. I usually have trouble even getting 2nd day hair.

Is this something I can expect to happen more regularly as I continue with CG, or is this a miracle that I should document with 100 photos? haha!
2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
Co: Suave Coconut
Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip

Comments

• wavesandsmileswavesandsmiles Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks amazing!
    I cannot get away with that. I have to refresh my hair in the morning because I move around a ton when I sleep. Do you pineapple your hair? Or plop?
    But that said, second day hair is usually my best day... maybe because some of the product has worn off, my hair has more natural oils, and even though sleeping kills my curls it does give me nice volume. :)
    My hair usually looks ok after 3 days but I typically wash every other day, just because my scalp gets itchy. I've been trying cowashing again though and that seems to be helping with my scalp issues, but we'll see.
    CG since June 2011 :)
    2b/c, thick, medium/coarse, low-medium porosity
    full Chinese Canadian
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    Thank you! I typically can't refresh. Every attempt destroys my clumps it reverts to frizzy strings. I have yet to find a product I can scrunch into dry hair that my hair likes which doesn't contain cones. I used to use Suave Professionals heat protector, but they don't make it anymore, and it had cones. But it left my hair soft and made my day 2 waves even wavier.

I pineapple at night, at the very top of my hairline. I also sleep with a satin pillowcase. I've tried plopping at night with wet hair and it's a disaster. Can you plop with dry hair? I've never tried.

I definitely have better volume on day 2 as well. I noticed this time that my hair was curlier on day 2 than it was on day 1. I was shocked. I had amazing double helix clumps all over my head, but then when I SOTC the tighter curls turned into loose waves, which was okay. But the next day they turned back into curls!

I can also get itchy and have buildup between washings, but I learned how to combat that this winter (when I usually go a week between washings -not doing CG). Once every couple of weeks I soak my scalp and hair in coconut oil, and gently rub my scalp like when you cowash. I leave it in for 5 hours pinned into pigtail buns, and double wash it out. It takes care of any buildup and itchiness issues and prevents it with regular use. Plus it leaves my hair soft and shiny.

What do you refresh with, and what process do you use?
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • wavesandsmileswavesandsmiles Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To refresh I usually dampen all of my hair, mix some conditioner with water in my hand and smooth it into hair. Sometimes I shake or twirl a few pieces when needed. I don't scrunch when I refresh- maybe that is what is helping with the clumping? That and the conditioner. But I also think naturally my hair likes to clump- often way too much- my hair usually only gets stringy when I overload products. Then I dry it a little with a microfibre towel. It usually works. If I still need a bit more curl definition I'll scrunch in some HE Totally Twisted mousse to my nearly dry/ completely dry hair. It's one of the only products I can scrunch into not soaking wet hair. I have been getting sensitive to the fragrance though so I've been trying not to use it :(

I haven't had success with plopping at all. Pineapples either pull out my curl or the elastic falls out, but I've been experimenting with it again. I should probably invest in a satin pillowcase though- sounds like they are worth it. And I'll have to give the coconut oil a try! I love that stuff for my skin but I've never thought to use it on my scalp.
    CG since June 2011 :)
    2b/c, thick, medium/coarse, low-medium porosity
    full Chinese Canadian
    Oh I've never tried smoothing in something. I'm afraid with my finer hair conditioner would weigh it down, even watered down. It might work if I was very light with it, now that I'm using LALSG. I can't stop playing with these curls, and I even ran a brush through each one this morning and retwirled. They have kept their bounce and shape even with all that. My waves usually fall out so easily. My hair is naturally very frizzy and won't clump without coaxing and product so when it gets damp again it reverts.

As for pineappling, what do you use? I use a scrunchy, twisted around just once. My hair isn't very thick but that's tight enough. I bend over and very gently gather my hair at my hairline and put in the scrunchy. I mostly gather it up the sides as well, instead of from the back, if that makes sesne. Then when I lay down I make sure my hair is going up the back of my pillow. I toss and turn a bit too, but I haven't had a problem since doing it this way. I never had success until I used a scrunchy and gathered it this way. Is your hair very long? I've heard some long haired people have success with putting a satin sleep cap over their pineapple to keep from crushing the curls.

Also I know the hard hold gel is what's given me this success with pineappling too. Do you use one?

Mod CG
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I usually wash on the fourth day, by that point my hair is starting to lose definition. I pineapple at night and in the morning I mix a bit of gel or curl cream with water in my hands, smooth it gently over the surface of the curls, then gently scrunch up. When I mix the bit of product with water in my hands it gets nice and slippery, which helps me smooth it onto the hair without applying too much or frizzing up the strands.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
    Oh thank you so much for sharing your refreshing technique! I will definitely have to try smoothing a little bit of product and water the next time I attempt to refresh. I've always just tried misting my hair with water and scrunching a little product in, which never gives the results I want.

And I'm so happy you can get 3-4 days out of your hair! That gives me hope. Spending an hour and a half washing and drying my hair every 2 days, and getting up at 6am to do it, is not how I want to live. haha!

Mod CG
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    If I don't care about how my hair looks, I can probably go 3-4 days without washing. I've been having issues with refreshing my curls lately, so I stick to my 3x a week washing routine. It just works the best for me.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• sunshinekissessunshinekisses Posts: 8Registered Users
    What does "pineapple" mean?
    To pineapple your hair means to do what I explained a few replies up: gathering your hair into a loose pony on the top of your head. If your hair is very curly and not super long it kind of looks like your head is a pineapple. You do it before sleeping so that you don't crush your curls during the night. :)

Mod CG
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,522Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I generally have to wash my hair every other day. But I am relieved to see that I am not the only one who has trouble refreshing on nonwash days. I often get up on day 2 and say to myself, "Yay! My hair doesn't look so bad today!", but when I start to try to refresh it a bit to try to take it from "OK" to "excellent", I just seem to ruin it. To refresh, I have been spritzing water on it, both at the roots and on the ends, and scrunching. It seems to refresh the product, but in a bad way, one that makes my hair stringy. Applying additional product just seems to make things worse. Maybe I will try smoothing some conditioner and water on next time--no scrunching--and see what happens.

Why is hair so tricky?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    GORGEOUS hair!! I could probably go 3-4 days but I never make it past 2. I just love the smell of my products and that clean feeling. If mine looked as good as yours, I might change my mind. I have never Pineappled. I feel like it would make me lose my curls? But everyone else swears by it. I've also never Plopped. I can't figure out how. :(
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I just seem to ruin it. To refresh, I have been spritzing water on it, both at the roots and on the ends, and scrunching. It seems to refresh the product, but in a bad way, one that makes my hair stringy. Applying additional product just seems to make things worse.

This is exactly what happens to me. The clumps I worked so hard to make in the shower and then carefully diffused are gone and everything is a stringy crazy mess. My hair is so naturally piecey and frizzy though. It just reverts to it's natural state but 1,000x worse. I'm attaching my au-natural hair with zero product at the bottom. (This was a month ago, a couple weeks after I had surgery so there was no energy to do my hair at all.) So imagine that but gross looking and even frizzier.

I've had such great success keeping my waves with this LALSG though, I'm hoping I'll have better luck from now on. But if I do need to refresh I am definitely going to try smoothing and twirling very lightly with a little water and a tiny bit of product or conditioner.
    GORGEOUS hair!! I could probably go 3-4 days but I never make it past 2. I just love the smell of my products and that clean feeling. If mine looked as good as yours, I might change my mind. I have never Pineappled. I feel like it would make me lose my curls? But everyone else swears by it. I've also never Plopped. I can't figure out how. :(

Thank you! You have amazing hair too btw! My hair likes fewer washings, and so do I since it keeps my hair color fresher the less I wash it. I used to be very skeptical of pineappling too, until I got the technique down, and I don't lose any curl at all except in the very back on the bottom layer, but that doesn't curl well to begin with anyway.

I can only plop for 10-30 minutes, right out of the shower, after scrunching with a tshirt. I use another tshirt, but I do it in a very different way than everyone here I think. (Although with this hair I didn't plop, I scrunched out as much water as I could and diffused.)

Mod CG
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My back underlayer doesn't like the pineapple either. Usually I don't care too much, but if you really need your hair to look good the next day, try leaving that underlayer out of the pineapple. Then just use bobby pins to pin those sections of hair to the back of your head. It's too fiddly most of the time, but it can be useful at times.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file