Need help stylin w/ ORS lock & twist gel

it_nigeriangirlit_nigeriangirl Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello! I've recently transitioned to natural hair (last relaxer this past October) and I'm trying to achieve a nice head of curls. I recently purchased ORS twist and lock gel and use it with flexirods only for it to turn out a mess and dry 😭😭 if anyone can point a 4c girl in the right direction, any advice is truly welcomed!
Any suggestions for maintenance and products would also be appreciated!

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Welcome!

I have personally never tried the ORS Lock and Twist Gel before, however, I do know that there are a host of Youtube videos featuring demos on usage of this particular product. So, I would definitely recommend checking them out for sure, if you haven't already. I'm not sure what your entire hair are regimen currently consists of, but if you happen to have very dry hair, then just using a styler that is not moisturizing enough for your hair, or that is not the best choice of styler for your hair will undoubtedly leave your hair feeling dried out and the hair style or hair styles that you are looking to achieve will certainly come out not as expected. There are other haircare lines sold on the ground (that you can find either in drugstores and/or in beauty supply stores) that if you haven't tried, that you just may want to possibly explore at this time. Here's a listing of such lines: Shea Moisture, Eden Body Works, Curls (retail line), Cantu for Naturals line, As I Am, Kinky-Curly (their products can be purchased in select drugstores as well as online), Carol's Daughter (their products are available in select drugstores as well as online).

Now, I am not sure when it comes to haircare products exactly how much you are willing to spend, but some vendors that offer products that are more on the pricier side, but that are certainly worth trying happen to be: Qhemet Biologic's, Camille Rose Naturals, Curls (professional line), Darcy's Botanicals, Oyin Handmade, etc.

When it comes to finding a complete regimen for your natural hair, this is something that will most definitely take trial and error. Your objective is see what winks best for your hair and best suits your hairs overall needs. Some individual choose to practice the Curly Girl Method, some individuals practice a modified version of the Curly Girl Method, where there are individuals that simply choise to go with whatever products their happens to agree best with. As, there is "no one size fits all" method, when it comes to caring for naturally textured hair (whether ones hair consists of Type 2, 3, 4 or a combination of two or more hair types instead). As, everyone's hair is genetically different, which is why, it is hard to guarantee that a product will work for ones hair, even if one does happen to share the same hairtype, okay.

I certainly do wish you all the best with your natural hair journey, and no matter what, you were blessed with a beautiful head of God given, naturally textured hair. And, don't ever let anyone ever tell you or try and make you ever feel different about such, okay my dear.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • it_nigeriangirlit_nigeriangirl Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hello! Thank you for your reply and tbh I'm really new to this and just going off what worked for some of my other natural friends! I've been wearing sew-ins for the last 8 years and have suffered short edges (growing back slowly but surely) and dry hair. But now, I'm using Motions CPRS Conditioner treatment, shampoo and leave-in silk conditioner and black castor oil.
    When I used the twist and lock gel I did so after washing my hair and putting castor oil it but to my avail i still do not get my desired look :/ but I'll definitely try out the products you recommended ! And if it helps for reference my hair type is 4C :) but thank you for your kind words truly !
  • nappymiminappymimi Posts: 75Registered Users
    Hi! I'm a 4c Nigerian too. instead of using gels alone,make a curling pudding by following this simple recipe http://t.co/qKmT5T9MGh on my blog. Just three ingredients & u can customize it.

Also use a leave in conditioner/spray before applying a styling product to prevent dryness. Buildup might als o cause white balls on your hair. gud luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file