Going CG, please check my product list?

BlimundaBlimunda Posts: 23Registered Users
Hello!
I'm trying to order the products today because British Curlies has a 15% discount on everything. Can you guys check my shopping list and give me your opinions on the products?
My hair is 2c, I think and quite fine. Here is my list:

ClarifyingShampoo : Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo (found in a shop in my country)
Sulfate Free shampoo: Shea Moisture Curl & Shine
Cowash: Darcy's Botanicals Daily Cleansing Conditioner Cream
Conditioner: One from Urketram (ingredients: Aqua, aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, cetearyl alcohol, coco-caprylate, glyceryl caprylate, lecithin, olus oil, sodium cetearyl sulfate, cetyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate se, betula alba leaf extract*, magnolia officinalis bark extract, citric acid, perfum, limonene, citral, citronellol, linalool, geraniol, tocopherol, beta-sitosterol, squalene)
Leave-in: Cantu Shea Butter Creamy Hair Lotion
Gel: SM Curling Gel Souffle (does this need something for extra hold?)
Extra: Argan oil to seal?

Please heeeelp. Thanks!

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure if you've picked up on which ingredients your hair responds best to, but your products are heavy in oils and butters and not as big on film forming humectants and proteins. They all seem cg, from what I can tell, I just thought I'd bring it up in case your hair has a tendency to get weighed down. Hopefully some people who have used these products or who have similar hair properties to yr's will come along soon. :)
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • BlimundaBlimunda Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thank you!
    I haven't. This will be my first try. I'm trying to find a balance between natural & not too expensive products, because I live in Portugal and the shipping costs can get quite high.
    I'm also worried because it gets really dry here in the summer, but it's hard to find products without glycerin in them... Someone recommended Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha, which I will get from a different website where I shouldn't buy anything else or else the shipping are RIDICULOUS.
    What would be better for fine hair in a dry weather?
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is your hair porous? If not, Serene Curls may have a point. My hair is super porous and I do use both the Cantu and the Shea Moisture lines. I'm not a fan of the souffle, but do adore the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. With both lines, it's best to keep in mind, less is more. Start out with a very tiny amount and see how it goes.
    I'm not sure. When I run my fingers up a strand it feels quite smooth (it also makes a funny noise :P). Does that mean it's low porosity?
    If it's smooth, odds are good that you are low porosity. Does it take awhile to get wet? Does it take a long time to air dry, naturally? That's probably low porosity and the complete opposite of mine. If so, butters, oils, and products that contain them, may not work that well for you. To give you an example - I can do a coconut oil prepoo at night. By the time I get done putting it in, my hair is greasy and looks like I've been sick for a week. However, by morning (I sleep in a plastic cap when I do a pre-poo) it's all complete absorbed, and my hair looks normal.
    Yes, it takes a long time to air dry. I usually diffuse because I don't want to wait that long.
    So what products should I change? I used to use the Body Shop Cotton Curl Booster every time I washed my hair and it was fabulous!!
    If it was fabulous, why not keep using it?
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know that Body Shop product was discontinued in Canada, I'm not sure about other countries. Looking at the ingredients, it's fairly light, without oils. It has wheat protein partway down the list, so it's possible your hair responds well to that. I'd look for a product where the ingredients higher on the list are conditioning ingredients like fatty alcohols, and any oils are lower on the list. I really recommend Curl Junkie coffee cocoa curl cream lite, but maybe that's difficult for you to get since you mention having a hard time getting the pattern pusha. (I really love the pattern pusha by the way.) Kinky Curly Knot Today is a light leave in conditioner, you might have luck with that one. I'll try to keep thinking of ideas. Meanwhile, is your climate generally dry, or humid? Or somewhere in between?
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
    Cotton Curl Booster was discontinued. I only have a tiny bit left, which I use for special occasions :P
    The weather here is really dry in the summer and wet in the winter (I'm in Portugal).
    I'll check those products you mentioned. I can get buy products from Europe online, my biggest problem is the shipping :/
    I tried this product: The Body Shop - Wheatgrass Fixing Gel
    and it seemed to work although it didn't have enough hold. Is it CG?
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blimunda wrote: »
    I tried this product: The Body Shop - Wheatgrass Fixing Gel
    and it seemed to work although it didn't have enough hold. Is it CG?

It's has a water soluble cone and wheat protein.

FULL INGREDIENTS
    Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Propylene Glycol, VP/VA Copolymer, Pentylene Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, VP/Acrylates/Lauryl Methacrylate Copolymer, Dimethicone Copolyol, Panthenol, Caprylyl Glycol, Parfum, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Collinsonia Canadensis Extract, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Sodium Chloride, Lophophyrum Elongatum Extract, Oryzopsis Miliacea Extract, Benzophenone-2, Disodium EDTA, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Laurtrimonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Citronellol, Biotin, Sodium Hydroxide.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

So it's okay, right?
    But I think I'm might try that Kinky Curly Knot Today because it's easy to get. Should I get some other cream to use after the leave-in? I've been looking at this list of products without glycerin, because I've been told I shouldn't use it in dry weather. Glycerin-Free Natural Hair Products for the Summer | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care
    Which ones would be better for low porosity hair?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file