6 years natural and thinking about texlaxing. Is it worth it?

IndeedIndeed Posts: 72Registered Users
When I first chopped off all of my relaxed ends 6 years ago, I fell in love with my 4z texture and wondered why I ever turned to chemical straightening in the first place. I was convinced that natural hair was no harder to manage, style, or take good care of.

But then, my hair grew past my shoulders, and it wasn't long before I knew the struggle of 2+ hour long detangling sessions. I KNEW. :sad1:

For the past year or so, I've felt like a slave to my hair. I constantly keep it in protective styles and twists because whenever I let my hair down (even after stretching), it wants to give me the middle finger, shrink up, and tangle like nothing else. In fact, my hair has been long overdue and matted in kinky twists because I don't want to face my demons when I take them down.

I've been able to grow my hair to BSL (where it has stalled for a year), and I'd LOVE to wear it down without dreading the washing process after. I want to be able to detangle my hair in under 20 minutes while still keeping my texture. I want to actually show my length without having to blow dry every single time. This is why I may be turning to texlaxing.

Before I go through with the process, though, I've got a few questions:

1. Is it really worth it to take the risk at BSL? I've scoured this board and the internet for other 4c naturals who have texlaxed, but of the few I found, they either a. kept their hair short or b. returned to being natural. Obviously, I'm not trying to do this process, only to turn around and cut my hair off/transition. No can do. I've had too many BCs in my life already.

2. Is it really any easier to detangle? I'm planning on stretching for at least 5 months at a time, which means that's a lot of new growth to take care of. I don't want to take the plunge if I'm still going to be dealing with hellish detangling sessions.

3. Is it really easy to mess up? I've never self-relaxed, and this would be the first time.

4. How many boxes would I have to get? I have fine hair at medium density.

5. If you are a texlaxed lady, have you ever regretted your decision?

If I do texlax, I still plan on wearing protective styles most of the time and sectioning when I wash/style it, but I just want more manageability for when I wear it down. As a natural for years, I've been there and done that, and I am SO over spending hours on my hair. Ain't nobody got time for that (and even if I did, I'd rather spend my time doing something else).

Thank you! If you got through all of that whining, you are the best.

Comments

• anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    What if you kept it natural and trimmed it to shoulder length? I know my hair texture is way different, but i kinda felt like my hair was taking over and was considering Brazilian keratin again, but now that I've cut it, I'm enjoying it again keeping it curly.
  • IndeedIndeed Posts: 72Registered Users
    It's a great suggestion, but trust me- if I looked good with short hair, I would've cut it in a heartbeat a long time ago. I'm actually a bit jealous that you're able to pull it off so well.
  • SandiSandi Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So my hair hair is coarse and resistant to everything which is why the last relaxer I had ('06, I think) basically end up as a faux texlaxer.

1. If you take all the usual precautions when combing out, in theory, the length should be okay.
    2. IMHO, when new growth comes in, any sort of dramatic texture change makes detangling an absolute b***ch, especially where the two textures meet. In addition, since you mentioned that you had finer hair, it's going to be a lot more fragile, so you're going to risk breakage around the 3 month+ mark.
    3. Also IMO, texlaxing at home is like Russian Roulette in terms of getting the exact curl pattern that you want. I would do a lot of research in terms of the exact concentration of formaldehyde and even brand that you need.
    4. You could probably get away with one (if it's really fine and medium), but I'd go with two just in case.
    5. I'm obviously no longer relaxed/texlaxed. I also can't speak for the tighter textures. I did regret the texlaxing, but it was also at a point where I had no idea how to take care of my hair.

Note: I'm not a pro or anything (only had 2 relaxers/texlaxers my entire life), but I'd definitely tread with caution and look at all your options if you're interested in keeping your length. I recently had the same experience you did (the this is taking way too damn long moment), and chopped to a chin/neck length layered cut.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file