What IS water soluble?

ElsaofWIElsaofWI Posts: 4Registered Users
Hello, I have found this website very helpful with my curly hair dilemmas. This is my first time posting to the forum, please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

I eliminated all silicones in my life in January. Since then, I have been experiencing an alarming amount of hair shedding/breakage... to the point where I went to my doctor and had blood work done to be sure something wasn't medically wrong with me. I've come to the conclusion that silicones were the only thing holding my hair together! So, my question is this:

I know silicones are bad because they are water insoluble (except for, of course, the water soluble ones :), and being so they prevent moisture from being able to penetrate your hair, and can cause buildup. I've been doing some research on natural hair moisturizers, and most of them, while not silicones, seem to be things that also are not water soluble. Coconut oil, Jojoba oil, avocado oil, sheabutter... if these things aren't water soluble, how are they any different from silicones?

I guess I just need some help understanding which things are technically “moisturizers” and not sealants, and which “sealants” are safe to seal in the moisture, but not cause the bad things silicones cause.

Thank you so much!

Oh, and by the way, I am somewhere around a 2C, low porosity hair, and at this point about the only thing my hair can tolerate is water

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have the same issue, when I use silicones my hair doesn't fall out as much. Nobody on this board believes me, so glad to see I'm not the only one!

Just to clarify - silicones are NOT bad!! They have their place, and a lot of us still use them off and on or regularly. They are only "bad" if you don't cleanse them out properly. You do not need a sulfate to cleanse silicones - cocamidopropyl betaine gets them out just fine, and it is considered a low poo and gentle. You can even get cowashes with cocamidopropyl betaine in them (which I personally love!) and it will still cleanse your hair properly.

So if you'd like to continue the use of them due to your hair shedding, by all means go ahead!

But to answer your question about the oils - there are beneficial oils that penetrate the hair. The one that is most beneficial is coconut oil. It does create a moisture barrier, but it also contains really great fatty acids that improve the health of your hair by penetration. Silicones don't penetrate your hair, they just coat it. That is the difference with certain oils vs. silicones. Water does not cleans oil, they don't mix. If you oiled your hair and never cleansed it properly, then it would react the same way a silicone would if you didn't cleanse that properly either. You would end up with dry hair.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • ElsaofWIElsaofWI Posts: 4Registered Users
    That is helpful! Thank you! So if oils will coat the hair much like silicones if not cleansed properly, what is the proper way to cleanse? Will the cocamidopropyl betaine*work with oils too? Thanks!
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In my experience, oils wash out just fine with a low poo or co-wash. My low-poo doesn't have CB in it and it washes out coconut oil very easily and with no hassle. Same for my conditioner when I use it as a co-wash
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • CurlMeisterCurlMeister Posts: 9Registered Users
    I find that when I wash with an oil, it will come all the way out within two or three showers afterwards. So I wouldn't recommend using oil everyday, but maybe once a week and your hair won't get that oily.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file