Introducing myself and my identity crisis ridden hair (long post)

CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
First off, hello! I'm relatively new to the site, and the CG method, although I had done some initial research last summer.

Growing up I thought my hair was straight but frizzy, In highschool I'd try to get it to wave with very limited success. It's still pretty fine (although a little less so now that I color it), but seems to get wavier with time. I have always been able to wear it straight in the summer when I wanted to, even if it was a bit frizzy.

Until I moved down south, to a very humid valley in the middle of the summer, and the only thing I could do with it was put it all back. Trying to wear it wavy/curly resulted in the wave falling out and frizz going everywhere. Trying to wear it straight resulted in ugly waves coming in and again, frizz everywhere (no amount of smoothing products could tame this mane).

So last summer I started learning about the CG method, but I was overwhelmed by all the chemistry and hair typing. I'd already been using sulfate free shampoo (the loreal lines) because I color my hair (depositing not stripping), but I still used styling products that had who knows what in them (except the shampoo was always able to break down whatever I was using because I didn't get buildup). I had a little bit of success, but my waves were very stringy. Some pieces started to spiral, but it refused to clump. I called them stringlets. It was still very frizzy and I looked a little bit homeless without a lot of extra styling.

In the fall/winter I can do whatever I want to my hair and it mostly behaves. I would wear it wavy, but I always had to go over my canopy and back under layers with a small curling iron (with heat protector). It looks good that way, even if it's still a bit stringlet-y. But I can't even get away with that in the summer well.

So now my third summer down south is starting, and I'm trying to commit to the CG method with no cones at all, and modified with sulfate free shampoo. I have to say I'm getting some surprising results already, big clumps, more wurly pieces and even some chunky spirals, etc. But everything is all over the place.

One day my hair will show off the piecey layers I have (like in my profile pic) with lots of different directions, and another day it will be a completely different look with almost uniform waves/wurls. Some days I get okay 2nd day hair, other days it's awful, but I always pineapple at night. I can't really refresh it without starting over completely, because my clumps will immediately revert back to frizzy stringlets unless I wet my whole head and start over. In the winter, I like to wash my hair only once a week, and I've trained my hair to love that. With this method, I have to do twice a week, and most of that is putting it up and back because there's nothing else to do with it. It's also much more maintenance to look "leave the house" ready than what I do in the winter.

Will my waves/wurls start to be more consistent the longer I do this? I've tried a few different methods and products, which could be contributing to the vast differences I get. I already know I have to be very light and careful with co-washing (only tried it twice so far) or my hair gets very weighed down. It seems to love the hold and frizz fighting power of LA Looks Sports Gel, but I like the volume of mousse, except then it's not as wavy or defined and 2nd day hair is usually right out the window.

And no matter what I do, my canopy and back (top and bottom layers) don't want to wave well at all. On the sides of my face my waves/wurls start at the root, and the father back you go, the loose the pattern becomes until it's almost straight in the back.

Some days it takes all the strength of my will to not tackle it with a curling iron.

I put down that I am 2b. I used to think I was 2a, but in the last couple of weeks I'm starting to get actual curls, so I still am not quite sure what my hair is. I'm hoping to glean a lot of wisdom from you ladies, and maybe even find a hair twin, if my hair ever figures out what it is. Sorry for the super long post!
2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
Co: Suave Coconut
Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This sounds pretty typical of 2a/b hair. It sounds like you are on the right path. And yes, I do believe the longer you do it the better it will get. Some just by dint of new healthier hair coming in that will never have been treated differently. Some by just the fact YOU will get better at knowing your hair. But there is one caveat, I have discovered I do best if I look at my hair and see what IT wants to do on any given day and choose what will probably work with that. In general, you are going to have a different routine winter from summer and with that just takes time and experience figuring that out.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    Thank you for the insight! I'm glad I was on track with the 2a/2b typing. And yes, I definitely have to go with whatever my hair is telling me it wants to do. Yesterday I noticed in the shower my clumps were all going one direction, and they were all twirling towards my face. I couldn't get any to twirl the other direction without wrecking the curl pattern (still while totally soaked). So I went with it, and I've never gotten more natural curl out of my hair in my life. It looks like I took a 1-1.5" curling iron to my hair, even on day 2!

Part of the credit I suspect goes to the most generous application of LALSG I've ever used.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file