When does your hair do most of its curling?

I don't know if anyone else's hair is like mine, but mine doesn't really curl up at all until it's basically dry. When my hair is wet, it has almost no wave whatsoever. I'm left wondering if my hair is even curly anymore after every wash :sad10:

Then something magical happens when my hair turns dry. The straight, stretched waves turn into bouncy wurls and curls. It seems to happen in a span of five minutes.

I actually hate it because I'm left with limp, stringy-looking straight hair for hours.

So tell me...When does your hair do most of its curling?
:color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
Oils: Coconut
Working with waves since April 2015

Comments

• AmberWaves7AmberWaves7 Posts: 9Registered Users
    So my hair is like yours and doesn't curl at all until it is pretty much dry. Out of the shower there are limp waves when I scrunch, but as I dry it the waves and spirals pop up magically! It's a no wonder I have thought my hair was basically straight-ish and frizzy most of my life. I have to thank the Curly Girl Handbook for letting me know that frizz = waves or curls!

By the way, I LOVE your name! Fellow HP nerd here :-)
    2a-2c, mostly coarse, low porosity roots/normal shaft/high ends (heat damage), normal dry/low wet elasticity, low to normal density (GoosefootPrints)

LP: Yes to Cucumbers
    NP: Suave naturals coconut, TJ TTT condish (new)
    RO: Devacurl one, GVP conditioning balm, Yes to Coconuts (occasionally as squish to condish)
    LI: Giovanni Direct, KCKT (new)
    Stylers: KCCC (new), HE totally twisted, LAL mega mega, Deva Ultra Defining (new)
    Hair dislikes: protein and high doses of coconut oil
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I 3rd the HP love. :)

I'm very much like both of you. Water pulls my hair straight. Thus, I thought my 3B baby curls had gone straight all my life. When my hair is wet if I scrunch out the water with a MF towel I get waves, mostly especially in back. The front goes straight or has weak waves (depending on how what state my hair is in). If I put product in then the wave gets stronger suddenly. And the right product makes it get much stronger. Today as it dried it was really starting to increase in curl. I'm still waiting for ringlets to magically appear the last few minutes it dries; that would be nice! The diffuser helps somewhat though.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair really curls up when I scrunch in the products and scrunch out the water. I've always had what is referred to as a "fragile" curl. Anything pulls it out.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavesandsmileswavesandsmiles Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Novice
    My hair seems to stretch out as it dries. It's straight when super wet, curls up as it starts to dry, and then when it is fully dry, the curl pattern relaxes again overall. Some individual pieces probably get curlier. I'm ok with having less curl, but what frustrates me is that the relaxing doesn't happen evenly at all. Some pieces are still quite wavy and other pieces become completely straight. And then random spirals-What I like most about my hair when it is wet is that the curl pattern is more even. I have not found a solution.
    I know people whose hair does the opposite. One of my friends and I are hair twins when it is wet. But when my hair dries it dries wavy and hers dries super curly.
    CG since June 2011 :)
    2b/c, thick, medium/coarse, low-medium porosity
    full Chinese Canadian
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair curls up straight out of the shower., but my roots never look curly until my hair dries.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    My hair really curls up when I scrunch in the products and scrunch out the water. I've always had what is referred to as a "fragile" curl. Anything pulls it out.

^^^
    this

The longer my hair gets, the stronger the curl at the ends. I'm not a fan of really long hair on me, though, it bugs me! I always want to chop it off :-o
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • SandiSandi Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair's pretty coarse, with a strong curl even in the shower, just pulled out a bit. My roots/very front parts are usually kind of a frizzy, oddly straightish mess when wet though. (Which I solve with LOC + plopping).
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair's pretty dense and heavy, so when it's wet it gets stretched right out. It curls up as it dries, but if I just leave it hanging there the roots get pulled flat by the time it's dried hours later. Plopping and diffusing help me prevent the water from weighing my hair down as it dries. It's curliest right after I diffuse I think, and it relaxes slightly by the time it's fully dry which is fine. Also, if there's any crunch, my hair curls up better once I've scrunched that crunch out.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair curls up straight out of the shower., but my roots never look curly until my hair dries.

Snap!
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• Keltey1031Keltey1031 Posts: 115Registered Users
    My hair's pretty dense and heavy, so when it's wet it gets stretched right out. It curls up as it dries, but if I just leave it hanging there the roots get pulled flat by the time it's dried hours later. Plopping and diffusing help me prevent the water from weighing my hair down as it dries. It's curliest right after I diffuse I think, and it relaxes slightly by the time it's fully dry which is fine. Also, if there's any crunch, my hair curls up better once I've scrunched that crunch out.

Mine is not as curly as yours, but this is exactly what my hair does!
    2b/armpit length/high density/normal porosity/medium texture/normal elasticity
    Cut hair from mid-back length to armpit length on 9/19/15

Current Products
    SM Strengthen Grow & Restore Shampoo
    SM Coconut Water Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    SM Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
    HE Naked Volumizing Souffle
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair goes completely straight when in the shower, kinda wavy-ish after squeezing and scrunching with a t-shirt, then pulls straight when scrunching in product, then it waves a little when diffusing and stays kinda wavy till about noon is when the last 10% fully dries. Then it's frizzy and mishapen half straight waves the rest of the day
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 882Registered Users Curl Novice
    I wrote my MA thesis about HP so I guess that says it all about my love for HP :P

My hair curls when I scrunch out the water and scrunch in KCCC. When it's airdrying, it usually looks very unpromising, but then after an hour or 8-10 it suddenly looks really nice again! (provided I'm having at least a decent day).

My curl pulls out really easily though, so I always have to be careful.
    F - LP - HD - L/NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • Curly_CakesCurly_Cakes Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Soaking wet in and after a shower it is wavy. Scrunching in products and thus getting rid of the excess water making it turn curly in most places and super wavy in others. And as it dries it continues on getting even more curlier.
    2c/3a with maybe a bit of 3b around my temples
    Cowash-As I Am
    PT-GVP Reconstructing Conditioner
    DT-As I Am Hydration Elation
    RO-? GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI- As I Am or KCKT
    Styling products-KCCC or As I am Curling Jelly
    Sealers- SM Smoothie or Mizani Supreme oil
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know if anyone else's hair is like mine, but mine doesn't really curl up at all until it's basically dry. When my hair is wet, it has almost no wave whatsoever. I'm left wondering if my hair is even curly anymore after every wash :sad10:

Then something magical happens when my hair turns dry. The straight, stretched waves turn into bouncy wurls and curls. It seems to happen in a span of five minutes.

I actually hate it because I'm left with limp, stringy-looking straight hair for hours.

So tell me...When does your hair do most of its curling?

Mine is just like yours. When it's wet, it's pretty straight. As it dries, it gets curlier and curlier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is very thick and my hair stands are thick so when thoroughly wet my hair is wavy. My hair is curliest when dry, like I need moisture type dry. My hair is more wavy with spirals at the ends and when its dry its a squashed s shape w spirals.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file