Does the saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover" apply to stylists too?

ConfuzzledConfuzzled Posts: 3Registered Users
I've been trying to make more of an effort to focus on the health of my hair recently. Part of my plan of action consists of connecting with a professional to get the damaged ends trimmed off and getting advice on simple care and styling since it will likely be shorter than I've dealt with before.

I was in a store talking to two saleswomen (who have loosely curly hair) and believe they recommended me to a specific salon due to the fact that the owner is African American like me instead of experienced with curly hair as I requested. I followed up by going in to the salon, meeting the owner, and telling her about what I was looking to accomplish. (Promoting healthy hair growth, staying away from heat, and a trim were the basics.) She informed me she had a stylist she believed would work well with me; someone with natural hair and who had knowledge of healthy hair care.

Main point: I feel there were several flashing red lights during my first encounter with the recommended stylist. She had bone straight hair pulled back which revealed thinning edges in both the front and at her nape. I don't know that I made it clear enough that I want my hair to be cut in a way that I can wear it curly. While I did mention wanting to wear it curly and not using heat, the stylist still mentioned blow drying after washing during the appointment. While she did take the time to look at my hair, it was still wet in parts and had been pulled back and stretched while drying. I was not asked about the types of products commonly used or currently in my hair, but was recommended products sold by the salon.

Despite setting a time for an appointment, I do plan to contact the stylist again to specify more clearly that I want curl-friendly cut (not a straight one) that will allow for low maintenance styling. I hate to be a difficult client or offend anyone, but I don't think I should have set up an appointment. I found it really awkward at the time to have contacted the owner/stylist on multiple occasions where I expressed clear intent to come back as a customer and then back out after finally meeting the stylist in person. While I feel extremely misled at this point, I realize I should have had the confidence to walk away when I first started having doubts.

Anyway, do you think these are major red flags? Is it likely that the stylist will give accurate and useful advice despite my observations of her own hair? I don't believe a stylist needs to have the same hair texture or properties as me to know what he/she is doing, but is it unreasonable to expect their hair to at least look full and healthy? I worry about falling into old habits of excessive heat use if the cut is difficult for me to style while curly due to length, frustration, and inexperience.

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, I think they are major red flags.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, I agree. Major red flags. I understand that you don't want to be an offensive or difficult customer but I think you have real reason to be concerned. I wouldn't take a chance with this stylist. Please post back and let us know what you decide to do.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It's very hard to find curl-friendly stylists. The best way is by referral from someone you know or maybe this site. You can find them other ways (and this stylist *might* be great), but it will be trial and error...and who wants to go thru that w/ your hair? Do you live in a big city? Do you have any naturally-curly friends?

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's your hair. Rejection is part of being a stylist as well as business. Just call in and cancel so you don't prevent the stylist from getting another appointment set. Say you can't make it and you can't reschedule because you don't know when you'll be able to.

Do you want to walk around with hair you hate? If not, then don't schedule an appointment with someone your instincts tell you won't do a good job because of a misplaced sense of politeness.

I also agree with the suggestion of asking someone with similar hair who cuts her hair. Many stylists have no idea what to do with curly hair. The curlier your hair is, and sometimes ethnicity and race other than Anglo, confuses the stylist even more. However there are great stylists out there, even some with straight hair who make curly hair look great. You can usually tell during the consultation who that is and who that isn't.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    Cancel and pick a different salon.
  • SundialSundial Posts: 72Registered Users
    Yes...you don't want to look back and kick yourself for ignoring all the red flags!
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If their hair looks damaged they aren't getting a hold of mine. nope
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file