Hair History and Hello!

ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
Helloooo! Tis I, ExpectoPatronum! I'm from the Bay Area in Northern California, but spend most of the year in Humboldt County. As you can tell, I really love Harry Potter. I like other things too, like coffee, my cats, birds, and writing (so this will be long-winded :p). I also really like hair!

Believe it or not, I actually had really straight hair when I was a child. Maybe 1b at its waviest. Then, the monster known as puberty struck and bam! I was left with wavy/curly hair and absolutely no idea how to take care of it. I did what any logical person would have done....I straightened it. Daily. For years :eek:

During my senior year of high school and through the first couple years of college, I cut down and eventually stopped flat ironing. I really wanted long hair and I knew from reading that stopping heat damage was the first thing to do. So I did it. And I was met with frizz, oh, horrible frizz. I thought it was from heat damage, (part of it definitely was), so I babied my hair as best I could so it could grow out.

A few years pass and nearly all of the heat damage is gone, yet my hair was still really frizzy! I'd brush it out after a shower and it'd always be...huge. I had a few wavy bits here and there but I never thought anything of them. I remember I was hanging out at my curly-haired best friend's house for our christmas party. I was complaining about my hair always being frizzy. She told me that her hair looked like mine if she brushed it, and that maybe I had curly hair.

The next day, I did some research, and got lost in the world of CG. That lasted about a month. My curls were so nice, but I hated how I looked with them. I wasn't used to it. It didn't help that my mom would always gush about how nice my hair looked on the rare days I did flat iron it.

I continued the cycle of going CG/embracing my curls and settling for frizz for another year or two. In that time, I discovered the LHC and made a happy home there (I use the same username there!). On that site, I also began to figure out just how damn wavy my hair was. Even during my CG phases, I always thought I was a 2a. Nope. I was a 2c/3a, with some 3b bits mixed in. It was a surprise to see those curls start popping out, that's for sure!

Earlier this year, the same curly-haired friend FINALLY convinced me to get a devacut. I had wanted to for a while, but was always putting it off because the phases where I embraced my hair texture was always short lived. But I finally did it, and now I don't know why I put it off for so long!

I don't know why I put off joining this site for so long, but I'm glad I'm finally here.
:color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
Oils: Coconut
Working with waves since April 2015

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hellooooo and welcome! It's great that you're loving the way your hair looks now, after all that time and I'm so glad you had a positive experience with your DevaCut :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

I certainly do appreciate your sharing your hair's history with us, and I am so glad that you've come to really love the way that your hair looks now. As, I'm absolutely sure that your Devacut looks very lovely! :flower:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    Thank you and thank you!

It's quite liberating to enjoy the hair that grows out of your head without changing it.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file