Pantene No Crunch Curls Whip

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I bought this product in an attempt to find a mousse type styler/definer that does not contain polyquats.
It made my hair feel super soft, and I loved that part. And it smelled great. No gunky or built up feeling after drying, I had very free flowing and soft hair. Seemed to cowash out fine.
However, I was disappointed overall. Hardly any definition, and pretty much zero hold, no need to SOTC at all and I just got fluffier as the day went by. I had quite a bit of crown frizz the entire time. My hair was straight in the front and wavy in the back and frizzy - as if I'd not applied anything at all.
One quick squeeze of the nozzle and like, a ton of product came out. It looked like we twice or three times what I would normally put on my hair. So, maybe I needed to completely douse my head in the stuff, I am not sure. I tried to scrunch it in upside down on soaking hair once, then the next day I tried it on damp hair right side up, it just didn't encourage curl at all, and I'd almost say it pulled curl out of the front during scrunching and squeezing.
I may continue to experiment but my first impression was that it is a miss for me.
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• BeebopBeebop Posts: 457Registered Users Curl Novice
    Not sure how long you've been using KCKT but I wanted to be able to use it so bad because it was natural & smelled so yummy but it always pulled out my. Just and left me with limp waves even with a small pea size, so you might try that mousse without using it as a leave in and use one of your conditioners ( tresemme or Yes to coconuts) it's been a while since I tried the Pantene mousse but they didn't seem to work for me either. The one mousse I can always count on is Condition 3-in-1 white can purple writing on bottom shelf at CVS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Leave In- Conditioner large pea size
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ok, that's a good suggestion. I'll give it a shot without the KCKT and see what that does.
    CG since 11/2014
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    I bought this product in an attempt to find a mousse type styler/definer that does not contain polyquats.
    It made my hair feel super soft, and I loved that part. And it smelled great. No gunky or built up feeling after drying, I had very free flowing and soft hair. Seemed to cowash out fine.
    However, I was disappointed overall. Hardly any definition, and pretty much zero hold, no need to SOTC at all and I just got fluffier as the day went by. I had quite a bit of crown frizz the entire time. My hair was straight in the front and wavy in the back and frizzy - as if I'd not applied anything at all.
    One quick squeeze of the nozzle and like, a ton of product came out. It looked like we twice or three times what I would normally put on my hair. So, maybe I needed to completely douse my head in the stuff, I am not sure. I tried to scrunch it in upside down on soaking hair once, then the next day I tried it on damp hair right side up, it just didn't encourage curl at all, and I'd almost say it pulled curl out of the front during scrunching and squeezing.
    I may continue to experiment but my first impression was that it is a miss for me.

Typically any mousse is just not going to have enough hold alone but they work beautifully under harder hold gels.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I used to like using mousse to touch up/smooth frizz on dry hair. My hair tends to frizz throughout the day. Is this mouse cg friendly?
    The condition 3-in-1 is CG friendly but not sure about the Pantene one....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
    The only questionable ingredients in the Whip product were mineral oil, petrolatum, methylparaben, and polyparaben.
    CG since 11/2014
    Those are all CG friendly ingredients but mineral oil makes a lot of people's hair stringy & undefined especially if you are fine haired or a wavy....
    Bumping this back up. I tried this mousse again, and it made my hair super super soft again. I figured it was the mineral oil that provided so much softness, and since I'm high porosity I figured maybe I'd finally found a sealing oil to actually make a big difference. I've never felt my hair so soft as when I use this mousse.

So after the next cowash, I tried LOC with a tiny pea sized amount of KCKT, a modest amount of mineral oil to seal, and then a small bit of KCCC, and then followed up with Aussie Instant Freeze. (All protein/gycerin/prop glyc free.) I expected super soft waves today. While I am having some better results frizz-wise, and consistent curls-wise I didn't turn out as soft as I expected.

Before, I thought this mousse was a miss, but that was before I realized I could put a hard hold gel over it. So, Im giving it another go 'round. But do you think its possible the petrolatum was the softening agent for me and not the mineral oil - or are they the same thing?
    CG since 11/2014
    I can't find the ingredients, was it discontinued?😁
    Arrgghhh! Wt_! WHYYYYYYYY! why must the powers that be discontinue everything? Well butts. Here's the ingredients anyway.

Water, Carbon Dioxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA.
    CG since 11/2014
    I know right!🙄 I've never seen petroleum in a mousse bit you're right it could have been the combination of petroleum & mineral oil that left your hair softer since I know mineral oil can sometimes leave my hair a little limp/stringy.😀
    So, pantene discontinued this product twice. Once it was called silky moisture whip, and once it was called no crunch whip. Er, well I guess it wasnt discontinued twice but renamed once and then discontinued.
    It is the same formulation as Sebastian whipped creme, except Sebastian whipped creme has sea salt and a protein in it. I wonder if the sea salt would be drying. Oh well anyway Sebastian whipped creme is no less than $20 a can for 5.3 Oz, whereas pantene was $6 for the same size.
    CG since 11/2014
    I'm a high porosity fine curly and have never been able to use any salt in my hair it makes my hair dry and crunchy and too much protein does the same thing, so the only way to know how your hair reacts is to try it😀
    And so the saga continues. Today I found on a Walmart shelf an Herbal Essences All Whipped Up Conditioning Mousse. The ingredients seems to have changed from what I find on the internet but this has the combination of Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Mineral Oil, petrolatum... Oh shoot it doesn't have any Panthenol. Hmm. I'll still try it. This one has coconut extract though. And it was only $4.50. Hopefully it will be on the shelf awhile.

For anyone interested, the running theme I'm seeing for this combination of ingredients is being referred to as a whip across at least three brands.
    CG since 11/2014
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ttoosday wrote: »
    So, pantene discontinued this product twice. Once it was called silky moisture whip, and once it was called no crunch whip. Er, well I guess it wasnt discontinued twice but renamed once and then discontinued.
    It is the same formulation as Sebastian whipped creme, except Sebastian whipped creme has sea salt and a protein in it. I wonder if the sea salt would be drying. Oh well anyway Sebastian whipped creme is no less than $20 a can for 5.3 Oz, whereas pantene was $6 for the same size.

My HG mousse has also just been discontinued. Palmer's olive oil glossing mousse. This was very thick and creamy but with a lot of hold. I tried the Sebastian whipped creme but it had zero hold and I had to use loads of it. I also tried Joico power whip, Paul Mitchell hydrocream, got2b whip mousse and Umberto Gianni curl whip but nothing compares to the Palmer's😥 im also in the UK so i can't get a lot of the products you discuss, such as the Suave mousse.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file