my results - piecey and straight underneath

heather8884heather8884 Posts: 8Registered Users
I just did my final sulfate wash and used the Tresemme Undone Conditioner as well as a littleave-in Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In. I applied my styling products and then applied my makeup while my hair was in a Terry cloth turban. Then I diffused with the pixie method. Here's the problem. I have a pretty straight under layer compared to the rest of my hair. This has always been the issue but the rest of my hair has not always been as curly so when I wore it wavy it blended better. After having my last child I grew my hair out from a really short cut and now my hair is much curlier than it ever was before...all except for the bottom. Is there anyway to help encourage the bottom to curl more? I also don't feel like I get clumpage. I get piecey curls. Here are some pictures where you can see how strain the back under layer is and how piecey my curls are. I am happy with how it looks from the from the back but I really hate the st straightness in the back. The last picture is upside down. The top part of the picture is the bottom of my hair in the back.

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you just started, my best advice would be, be patient! It takes awhile to coax our previously denied, misunderstood, and oh so abused curls to come out in their full glory. I promise you, it will be worth it. As of February of this year, I've been at it a year. I cannot believe the difference in my hair and am still amazed at the amount of curls I have. (*Kicks self in butt for not taking pics.) I always knew my hair was wavy. I did NOT know I had wondrous spirals. Even after all of this time, I still feel like I have someone else's hair on my head. In the meantime...
    You might try doing a few pin curls (with gel) on the straight spots. I did that for a couple of months. Then again, some pieces of hair may always be somewhat straighter. These days (I've got 2 errant curl spots), I use extra gel on them, twirl them, and lightly scrunch 'em up. Then, NO touch until they're dry. They blend in with the rest of my hair, and no one but me, seems to notice.
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Also, this is relatively common with curlies. Some of us have a less curly canopy with ringlets underneath and some have much straighter under layers. That's why I don't put any stock in the theory that the canopy is straighter because it "gets more environmental damage". That doesn't explain folks like you who have a straighter underneath part. There are quite a few curlies here who have that. It's just the way some people's hair is. My underneath layer ringlets are gorgeous. I would say they're a 3b or 3c. But the rest of my hair falls more into the 2c hair type. This probably is just how your hair is and yes, you are probably going to have to finger twirl the straighter part or some such thing to make it more curly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I have "piecey straight" hair at the nape of my neck and there isn't anything I can do about it - it has a unique texture and pattern when compared to the rest of my hair. I doesn't even hold a curl if I try to curl it manually (curling irons, rollers, what have you).

I get this layer cut shorter by 1-2" than the rest of my hair in the back so that it doesn't hang down if I am wearing my hair down. I get my stylist to isolate these hairs while my hair is dry when I go in to get a haircut, so we can find them easily. Once your hair is wet it's difficult to tell the straight hairs from the rest of the bunch.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sometimes it'll start popping up again eventually and sometimes you just have to get that trimmed lightly shorter (find an experienced curly stylist.) unthinking looks great ESPECIALLY if you only just started. Give it at least 5 weeks before you move in that straighter back under layer.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    It could be just how your hair is. My canopy, no matter what I do, won't really curl up. I have one section about two inches wide that's actually really straight. Ugh. It's one of my shorter layers so it's not like it's too heavy to wave. It's just how that texture is.

From experience, I can say the only person who really notices the wildly different textures is myself. Most people are too caught up in the curls to notice that some parts aren't as curly.

I second (third?) being patient. Some of my waves didn't start popping up until after I had been CG a while. You can experiment with finger curling in the meantime.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I have a straighter canopy and tighter curls underneath... wish it would all just curl the same!

Maybe just have the bottom layer trimmed shorter so it blends in?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file