CurlTalk

Those with 2C/3B can you straighten your hair?

AriallaArialla Posts: 6Registered Users
I definitely have 2C hair, but my best friend also thinks it may have some 3B in there as well (I'm not so sure, but I think she's probably a better judge than I am).

I literally cannot straighten my hair for any reasonable length of time, though I've personally never used any product to help it. (A hairdresser blow dried out straight once, with some kind of product and hairspray, but even then it only lasted half an hour before it started going back to normal). Seriously, even chemical straightening (both keratin and the Asian type) does very little, in terms of how long it should vs. does stay straight. And the affects of the damage my hair receives certainly aren't worth it in the long run!

Keratin: Should be a 4-6 weeks. My hair: 1-2 weeks
Asian: Permanent/Until your hair falls out. My hair: 2-6 months, though it will stay a little straighter than my natural hair (though not much). In saying that though, it'll be 10 times frizzled.

If possible I would like to experiment straightening it with blow drying or flat ironing it, but I would need to use some kind of product, if there's to be any chance of an acceptable result. (Probably not!)

So 2C's and 3B's can you straighten your hair, and if so what methods and/or products do you use? Also how long does it take you, and how long does it last?

Comments

• Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users
    I only had partial success with straightening. I have tons of hair but the strands are fine. The only way I could straighten with a degree of success was by first blow drying until 100 percent dry preferrably with a large round brush to pull the hair down and pull out the curls. Then I'd have to set the flat iron to the hottest setting and take very tiny tiny sections and go very slow and steady. Sometimes even that didn't work and I'd have to pass over the section over again. It was a long tedious process. I invested in a lot of clips to section the hair and used the Organix keratin flat iron spray to try to minimize damage and achieve a glossy flat look. Sometimes I'd get a full day of straight hair, but often by the end of the day ends would flip up and by the next day it would be waving and I'd have to hit the ends again with the iron.

If you want to try straight I hope you find something that works! I wanted to do something different and went straight for about a year. I ended up frying my ends though and had to keep getting haircuts and go shorter and shorter. Finally I gave up and went back to my waves/curls.
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
    I, too, have to put a lot of work into my hair if I expect it to stay straight (like straightener style straight). I usually have to dry it out with heavy shampoo and then put it in a towel and then blow dry it and then straighten it. It takes a good 45 minutes with all of that. As far as how long it stays for... Depends on the weather, but since I live in the PNW I usually don't bother.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    I straighten on occasion, but i have to use entirely different products to do it. I use Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum and a CHI flat iron. I let it dry for a while before taking a hair dryer to it, then I dry it 100%, it looks horrible. THEN I use my flat iron on small sections. It works well, the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny does a fantastic job of smoothing and keeping the humidity at bay. I don't do it often anymore, but that's my tried-and-true method.
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • AriallaArialla Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I've been having some serious computer issues. :banghead:

Anyway I don't think I'll be trying this very often, since it seems like a lot of effort and is very damaging (my hair is currently severely damaged as it is).
    In saying that though, if anyone else would like to share their hair straightening techniques, please feel free to share them for anyone else who may be interested! :)
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got the Japense Yuko (I think it's called) method back in my straightening days. It's permanent, until obviously your roots grow out curly. I did notice a few 'patches' that didn't straighten as well, so still had a bit of a kink, but overall it lasted and I just had to get it redone every 6 months - a year, as needed, because of my roots.

With straighteners though, man, that never lasted more than five minutes (unless my hair was chemically straightened too).
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users
    I used an ionic permenant straightening system for years at home but only ever used a mild 'cold' one for fear of damage, so I still had to use the GHDs every day. Needless to say it eventually ruined my hair, hence I gave up and went back to natural. Now my hair is just as frustrating to style but at least its in good condition!
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• nicolecatherinenicolecatherine Posts: 29Registered Users
    Over the years I have become a jedi master at straightening my hair. I'm very particular about the products I use and the way that I do it. After I wash my hair I apply Macadamia's Nourishing Leave-In Cream and Matrix's Oil Wonders Amazonian Murumuru Oil. I brush that through, making sure it's well distributed, and leave it on for a minute before applying my straightening/heat protecting products. I like TIGI Catwalk's Sleek Mystique mixed with Redken's Smooth Lock Heat Glide. I then blow dry my hair using an ion paddle brush with my GHD blow dryer. When I'm done with that I section my hair off using alligator clips and start straightening layer by layer, going from the bottom layers to the top. I use the GHD Eclipse flat iron. I then finish with a spritz of Sebastian's Shaper Plus hair spray to keep the frizzies at bay. Honestly, what made the biggest difference for me in straightening my hair was the flat iron I was using. I am currently on my third GHD, which should say a lot given they're quite expensive. But honestly, they are well worth the money. If you want to flat iron your hair, and your hair doesn't straighten well, I would definitely look into investing in a GHD.

Edit: Included photos, curly vs straight.
    Shea Moisture, AG, Ouidad, DevaCare, GHD, Kinky Curly
  • MiraaklesMiraakles Posts: 24Registered Users
    Apparently I might be a 2c 3b(or 3a) mix, but I have tons of success... It's actually really easy. I simply flat iron it and put on a humid serum by L'Oreal and i'm good to go! Last for two weeks. :) Oh, and a protect heat spray of course. I love my hair, gotta keep it protected<3
  • AriallaArialla Posts: 6Registered Users
    Hello, again! I thought I'd share an update:

I recently got a pixie cut, and love it so much that I plan on keeping it for awhile, haha... anyway, considering this and the fact that yesterday I saw a cheap hair straightener that was small enough to use on a pixie, I decided that I'd give straightening a go again, and see if I could any achieve success.

I've been religiously caring for my hair with all natural homemade products (which have done WONDERS for my hair!), and last night I tried straightening it and this morning when I woke up my hair is still straight! XD It isn't dead straight, but I wasn't expecting it to be (this also might be due to the fact that I need a bit of practice, lol).

I used argan oil as a heat protectant, then after straightening I applied some hair wax that I made, and my hair looks and feels amazing. If anyone else has trouble straightening their hair, this may very well work for you too!

Here's a link to the DIY hair wax recipe I used, for anyone who's interested. I made the extra strong one, and I find that I don't even need to use it everyday (with my pixie) as the style will stay for 2-3 days. It also is AMAZING as a lip balm (I naturally have very dry lips, and so far out of everything I've tried (both store bought and homemade), this recipe works best!)

DIY All-Natural Hair Styling Pomade That Rocks! - TheHippyHomemaker