New Girl Needs Help

heather8884heather8884 Posts: 8Registered Users
I have decided I want to try the CG method. I would say I have varying degrees of 2a, 2b, and 2c. The front layer on the side I part my hair to has an even tight curl to it. It lools strage so i usually just wear my hair half up and half down with that section pulled back so it is not showing. The top layer of my hair is much curlier than the bottom. The bottom is almost straight. My hair is of medium thickness and tends to be dry and is really frizzy if I do not use any product. I currently only wash and condition once or twice a week with a regular non-CG shampoo and condition. Since I already wash my so infequently I am hoping it will adjust well to this method. Currently the only product I use is devacurl curl cream. I love the way the product smells but I don't get very good definition.

I am looking for advice on what budget friendly products I can begin with and what type of products I need. I have access to Sallys, target, and ulta. I also need to know how to go about the CG method as far as cleansing, conditioning, and styling. I I usually just air dry on a daily basis for work but will diffuse if I have somewhere to go on the weekend. Also when I start do I need to use a special type of shampoo for the first time? And is there anyway to get a more uniform curl pattern? My hair use to be all about the same curl pattern (except the bottom layer being much straighter) but after my last pregnancy is when that one particular section got much curlier. I'm sure I will have more questions! Thanks!

Comments

• BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    When I first started CG, I was dirt poor, so I HAD to do everything on the cheap. I used Aussie Instant Freeze gel (super cheap) and Tresemme Naturals conditioner as a co-wash. Many are singing the praises of their NEW conditioner (un)Done, which is the same price. You may want to experiment with both to see what you like.

You can take it up a notch and try the As I Am products, which I have heard great things about but never tried.

I am currently using the Uber Expensive DevaCurl line but I am actually trying to get away from it, so I read these forums for advice from others who do this on a budget.

Target carries the Kinky Curly line, and their "Knot Today" leave-in is great, as is the "Kinky Curly Curling Custard" if you like the gel look. My hair is too thick for creams or mouses to be effective.
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sallys is having a buy one get one sale in Hair Carr right now. Great time to test out As I Am, Jane Carter or Shea Moisture. EcoStyler is good to try.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love Tresemme conditioners! I use the Naturals one but have recently just bought the Undone version. I doubt they are very different from each other but they are both good cheap conditioners suitable for detangling. If you are in the UK Superdrug often sells 500/750ml bottles for £2.47 which is amazing.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    Sallys is having a buy one get one sale in Hair Carr right now. Great time to test out As I Am, Jane Carter or Shea Moisture. EcoStyler is good to try.
    OHHHHHH a sale at Sally??? That's all I needed to hear....
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • heather8884heather8884 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thanks for all the product suggestions ladies! I also just need to know how to go about it...what's the best process? Do I start with a clarifying shampoo to begin with and then only wash with a conditioner after that? And how often do I do that? And when I wash with the conditioner do I then do a rinse out conditioner and a leave in conditioner? And are all 3 of these suppose to be differnt conditioners? But some people just use a sulfate free shampoo instead of washing with a conditioner...is that correct? Sorry for so many questions!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file