Co-Wash vs. Rinse-Out?

BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
Ok, Ladies...

I'm committed to the CG method but pretty much since DAY 1 I've been using DevaCurl products, which of course cost a fortune.

I like them because they are no-brainers and I know which to use for a co-wash and which to use for rinse-out, etc. and right now I'm using both every time I wash my hair. However, as I branch out into other (cheaper) brands I need advice.

What am I really looking for in a Co-wash vs. a rinse out? Do I have to use both each time I wash? Can I just use a co-wash AS my rinse-out? Any recommendations?

Also, I have read some people use oils in their hair for moisture, but do they really rinse out without sulfates? I definitely get a little dry, I would love something to deep condition or use daily even, to moisturize without 'cones.

I'm 2b, not sure on my porosity but i believe it's high b/c I use color, thick/course texture.
2C, low porosity, medium density
CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
Syler: KCCC. BRHG
Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:

Comments

• lionfeatherlionfeather Posts: 20Registered Users
    You might be able to get by with a cowash and leave-in (no rinse-out). I have. :) I wash with As I Am coconut cowash (and I leave it in for a few minutes), rinse with cool water and then scrunch in a generous amount of Shea Moisture Raw Shea conditioner. This seems to give my hair plenty of moisture.

I have used jojoba and coconut oils in my hair and both wash out just fine with either a low-poo or cowash.
    2A/2B high density, medium/coarse texture, still figuring out porosity

As I Am coconut cowash
    Yes to Carrots anti-frizz serum
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My cowash and rinse out could definitely be swapped if I wanted, and they could also both be used for deep conditioning. Personally, I like the lighter conditioner to wash with and the thicker one to let sit for a few mins and then rinse out. And occasionally, I will add a dab more of the rinse out on as a leave in, just depending on how dry I am. Some of it comes down to preference. I use a different conditioner for cowash than rinse out, because I want the different ingredients to be applied to my hair for maximum results, but it is entirely up to you what you put on your hair.

As far as using both every time I wash, personally, I do. And I use a leave in, and I am trying to find stylers that continue to help with my hair health. But I have very damaged, very dry hair, so I need all the help I can get. It will just depend on the properties of your hair (how much moisture or protein it needs) and how much your schedule allows you to devote time to hair care. For me, I need slip and moisture the most, so I choose products that contain ingredients for those properties.

I use oils occasionally, and yes, they wash out with cowash for me. I have seen others say that they must clarify t o get oils out, but that is just something you will have to experiment with to see if the amount you apply is too much to cowash out or if you will need to clarify regardless of the amount.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I like a very simple routine and use the same conditioner for everything. I co-wash, rinse, and if my hair is feeling dry (like in mid-winter) I will add a bit of conditioner before I add my gel. If not, I just co-wash, rinse, and add gel. That's it!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Thank you, guys!

I have seen the As I Am conditioner in the store before and it smells amazing, I may try that next time I go shopping. I am always looking for different products, I would love to do CG for less $$$ than I spend now, though I DO love my styling products, which aren't terribly expensive. Much, Much appreciated advice.

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also use As I Am! It works pretty well and provides a lot of moisture. I've recently found that unless I'm doing a DC treatment my hair's been liking just the co-wash with a nice leave-in (I use Shea Moisture's Strengthen and Grow) with some gel. In the winter, I definitely do a co-wash and a rinse out and a leave-in, but that just shows you how much changes with the seasons!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Ok, so I stopped by Sallys after work and they only had ONE As I Am Co-wash left, but they are having a buy one get one FREE sale, which was a real bummer. I ended up buying Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Conditioner since it was a freebie. Anyone ever try it? I was going to try it as a rinse-out if the co-wash alone isn't enough.

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You could have gotten the cowash and something else!!!
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Ok, so I stopped by Sallys after work and they only had ONE As I Am Co-wash left, but they are having a buy one get one FREE sale, which was a real bummer. I ended up buying Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Conditioner since it was a freebie. Anyone ever try it? I was going to try it as a rinse-out if the co-wash alone isn't enough.

I am a huge fan of the As I Am CoWash, and have been ever since the first time that I used it! It happens to be the best product that I have found to CoWash my hair with to-date. I do mainly CoWash my hair on a weekly basis, and only shampoo my hair once a month. For me, the use of cleansing conditioners work best at getting my hair and scalp completely clean. After i cleanse my hair, I always follow such up with conditioner. However, with the As I Am CoWash, I could actually skip using conditioner and go right to applying my styling product(s) of choice and my hair would probably not suffer from such at all. Another really good CoWash is the Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Cowash. It happens to be another CoWash, that you could honestly use to cleanse your hair with, and not even really need to follow it up with conditioner. I buy it from CVS, however, I am not sure if it is sold at all CVS stores, or only select CVS stores instead. Nevertheless, it can certainly be ordered from online, either thru Curlmart or another online retailer.

Also, I do actually happen to own and use the SM Curl & Shine Conditioner. I use it to DC with, for anywhere from 30-45 minutes. When I do DC, I do use heat in order to achieve maximum penetration of the conditioner into my hair strands as well as for me to achieve maximum results. And, it really works great for me that way.

And, I do happen to use oils in my hair to pre-poo with, before I wash my hair. I will normally pre-poo my hair for anywhere between 30 minutes to 1 hour, and I have no problem with any of the cleansing conditioners or shampoos that I that I use getting my hair properly cleansed of such oil.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Until I started using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie as a "rinse out" I wasn't using a rinse out when I cowashed. I use Suave Rosemary Mint Conditioner to cowash; it wasn't necessary to use a rinse out. I do now also put a couple of pumps of Kirkland Signature Professional Salon Formula Moisture Conditioner into my hair after my shower and leave that in. That keeps me from having to do a "moisture treatment" at any time. But I don't think you have to have a rinse out if you're cowashing with conditioner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I know that with Darcy's Botanicals Daily Cleansing Conditioner Cream it says on the bottle that after you rinse it out, that you can also use it as a leave in too. So, it can be used to both cleanse & condition ones hair in one step, and after you rinse it out, you can go directly towards styling your hair thereafter, if you choose.

I just got a bottle of it in the mail yesterday, so I have not had a chance to try it yet. However, I will definitely be giving it a try next week when I wash my hair again. I definitely plan to try it both with conditioner (Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner) afterwards, and without, just to see what type of results I get.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file