2nd day hair?

roonilwazlibroonilwazlib Registered Users Posts: 15
Most of my curly life (I say that because my hair didn't turn curly until I was 11 or 12, haha) I have had to get my hair wet every day or just put my hair in a bun--I've never gotten good 2nd day hair. My main problem is halo frizz. I have been experimenting a lot with refreshers and creams on 2nd day, but I want to know what y'all recommend?? What is your 2nd day hair routine?
:flower:3A/B; high porosity; high density; medium width:flower:

Comments

• centralvalleygirlcentralvalleygirl Registered Users Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    I am eager to find out as well because I have to wet my hair every day with a spray bottle but it could be because i have a bit looser curl pattern than those who can just spritz here and there and be done with it. if i spritz with water I get crazy frizzy hair so I either have to just wake up and go which isn't very nice or wet my hair again. you have beautiful curls by the way
    2C & 3B curls
    Low Porosity
    Med Density
    Fine width

My hair hates Wheat protein
    Shampoo: L'Oreal EverCreme Nourishing Shampoo
    Conditioner: Aussie Moist
    Leave In: GVP The Conditioner

Protein treatment: GVP knock off of K-Pak
    currently loving Curls in a bottle and Curl Keeper
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    I've started putting LI in with some gel scrunched through before bed, then in the morning more LI, gel emulsified between my palms and one hand run under a faucet. Scrunch that through and let it dry. Then ruffle my roots and scrunch out any crunchy bits. I can't detangle though or I end up with fuzzy head. There aren't many tangles but I don't even try.

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • SandiSandi Registered Users Posts: 364 Curl Neophyte
    This may be too basic of a question, but how do you sleep with your hair? And also, can you give us some properties of your hair? Whether it's fine or coarse (or somewhere in between), changes any hair routine.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • roonilwazlibroonilwazlib Registered Users Posts: 15
    Sandi wrote: »
    This may be too basic of a question, but how do you sleep with your hair? And also, can you give us some properties of your hair? Whether it's fine or coarse (or somewhere in between), changes any hair routine.

I pineapple my hair and sleep on a satin pillowcase. My hair is pretty much medium everything--medium porosity, medium density, medium thickness (although leaning toward the coarser side).
    :flower:3A/B; high porosity; high density; medium width:flower:
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    I have naturally dry, low density, high porosity, 3b curls that are a mix of both fine and medium textures. When it comes to getting 2nd day hair, the best words of advice that I can give is to go with styling products that say that they can be applied to both damp/wet and dry hair. As, I have never used water to revive my curls. Personally, washing my hair on a daily basis only dries out my curls, and causes my hair to become rough and really frizzy. So, I stopped that a long, long time ago. I never used water to refresh my curls, because I decided to begin opting more and more for products that are designed for use on wet and dry hair, so that way my regimen could be made more easier. In the mornings, I am able to style my curls in 10 minutes or less. I have truly found that the less that I do to my hair, the better my hair looks. I have developed a pretty streamlined regimen, that consists of me pre-pooing my hair before every hair wash, mainly doing washes on my hair using cleansing conditioners (because I have found that using regular, rinse out conditioners do not work best for me when it comes to thoroughly cleansing my hair and scalp with). I DC my hair after every wash. I use either my hair steamer or Hot Head Thermal Cap to DC with. Yes, I do use both regular and rinse out conditioners to DC with, and using heat to DC with is an absolute must for my curls (in order for me to get both maximum penetration of the conditioner into my hair strands as well as to achieve maximum results too). I shampoo my hair only once a month. After I cleanse and DC my hair, I leave my hair completely soaking wet. And, I will detangle and apply my styler of choice to my hair while it is soaking wet (and I do hapoen to do such, by taking sections of hair a time, until I have completed my entire head). I do use a leave in sometimes underneath a couple of my stylers. However, that is largely based upon the seasons and the weather that comes along with each season. Currently, my styling product of choice is CRN Almond Jai Twisting Butter (which I am able to use for doing wash n gos, buns, and ponytails with) and it can be used on both wet and dry hair. Therefore, in the mornings, I only have to apply a bit more styling product to my curls to revive them, and I simply let my hair airdry as usual. My curls will stay looking intact basically all day.

I primarily can get away with using one product to style my curls with all throughout the week, until my next wash day. I only wash my hair once a week (every 7 days), by the way. Some haircare lines do come with curl refresher sprays, and I will use that in conjunction with a little bit more styling product in order to revive my curls. Or, when I do use a product that is recommended to be applied to damp/wet hair only, I will definitely use it as recommended, and for second day hair and beyond, I will use either the curl refresher spray that is available within the same line, or if there's no curl refresher spray available within the line, then I will instead use a product offered within the same line that can be used towards curl reviving on dry hair as needed on a daily basis. Plus, I am definitely one of those people that doesn't hesitate to contact any online vendors that I buy from in regards to product questions, no matter how big or small they may be. Now, when it comes to the stylers that I buy locally, they all can be used on wet and dry hair, 99% of them also come with refresher sprays within their lines as well, which is an added plus. The only styler that I own that doesn't come with a refresher spray within the line is Eco Styler. However, at this point, I very rarely use Eco Styler gel in my hair, because whenever I have used it on a back-to-back basis, it starts to really dry my curls out. But, even with Eco Styler Gel, I actually can apply it to both wet and dry hair with no issues.

And, I do happen to sleep on satin pillowcases every night. I will sometimes wear a satin bonnet at night. However, there are quite a number of nights that I will simply pull my hair back into a low ponytail, using a scrunchie to keep my ponytail secure overnight and that will work just fine. Now, of course, my curls will not end up looking 100% intact in the morning, after waking up. However, after learning what I found was the key to my getting successful 2nd day hair and beyond, I have had no problems after that.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • centralvalleygirlcentralvalleygirl Registered Users Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    I actually had second day hair for the first time. My curls held up over night. I didn't do anything special I don't have a satin pillow case or I didn't night plop. In the morning I just emulsified kccc in my hands I used very little and scrunched it in while upside down. No water used at all.
    2C & 3B curls
    Low Porosity
    Med Density
    Fine width

My hair hates Wheat protein
    Shampoo: L'Oreal EverCreme Nourishing Shampoo
    Conditioner: Aussie Moist
    Leave In: GVP The Conditioner

Protein treatment: GVP knock off of K-Pak
    currently loving Curls in a bottle and Curl Keeper
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    I wish I knew the answer! I just ordered Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite. I used the heavier one in the winter and it worked really well. I've heard the lite version is a super good leave-in and refresher for second day hair. Since the water based sprays seem to do nothing, I'm going to try it.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    Actually I just started getting 2nd-6th day hair about 1 year ago. When I first started on the curly journey 5 years ago I couldn't get 2nd day hair to save my life.

What I do is sleep on a satin pillowcase and in the morning I wet my hair just a little bit. I apply Nourish or Suave Coconut conditioner (about a half dollar size) to the outside of my hair then I follow with a quarter amount of LA Looks and air dry. Then when dried I scrunch.

Believe it or not my hair now turns out better 2nd day than doing the overnight plop I use to do.

I am going to start experimenting to find a new holy grail since I am not doing my hair everyday like before. I have to use a lot of product after washing and doing that everyday made it impossible for me to try higher end products.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    Marci Pie wrote: »
    Actually I just started getting 2nd-6th day hair about 1 year ago. When I first started on the curly journey 5 years ago I couldn't get 2nd day hair to save my life.

What I do is sleep on a satin pillowcase and in the morning I wet my hair just a little bit. I apply Nourish or Suave Coconut conditioner (about a half dollar size) to the outside of my hair then I follow with a quarter amount of LA Looks and air dry. Then when dried I scrunch.

Believe it or not my hair now turns out better 2nd day than doing the overnight plop I use to do.

I am going to start experimenting to find a new holy grail since I am not doing my hair everyday like before. I have to use a lot of product after washing and doing that everyday made it impossible for me to try higher end products.

From what I can see of your curls, I think that they truly look awesome! :toothy4:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • tapiocaterntapiocatern Registered Users Posts: 7
    I stretch my wear-time as long as I possibly can since washing takes for frazzling ever, lol.
    I do my hair one of two ways: If I de-tangle with a wide tooth comb and plop, it falls in long doll-hair ringlets at the front and deep 2C waves at the back. Most the time these days, however, I use a brush, and a diffuser after I exit that shower... this gives me typical 3A fluffy twirly curls all over.

For both looks, I scrunch a ton of Herbal Essences' Curl-Boosting Mouse into it upsisde down before drying.

For either look, I put my hair in a pineapple at night and wear a cheap style protecting silk cap from Walmart at night. If I don't it's a tangled frizzy mess.

In the morning... for the plopped look: Let my hair down, flip my hair upside down and shake at the roots to unstick it from head and re-add some volume. I finger re-arrange curls the got wacky overnight and fix all my frizz with a lightweight gel. I use Aussie's Tizz No Frizz Frizz-Fighting whatever its called... it's Silicone free. If something really bad happens, I use their Instant Freeze gel, but it can and will make your hair look like plastic if you mess around with it too much.

For the diffused look, again let it down, shake it at the roots. I mist it with water from a spray bottle all over to re-active my curl products, (I mean all over- flip my hair upside down, move it around with my hands to get between my thick layers...) and if a spot is straight, I soak it and scrunch my curl product (Herbal Essence totally twisted curl boosting mouse) into it, periodically scrunching that bit over the next half hour or so as it dries. If a spot is really frizzy, I use light gel, but I pretty much never use the instant freeze on this hair.

I'm really not sure that works for anyone else, but it works for me!
  • Beth.ZipayBeth.Zipay Registered Users Posts: 1
    I'm a little late to this conversation but thought I'd weigh in. I have pretty short hair which really is almost impossible to keep any kind of style in overnight. I do sometimes sleep in a bonnet, I do use a silk pillowcase, and I still wind up with areas of my hair that are completely straight and flat in the morning.

I used to wet my hair completely every day to bring the curl back - which meant I went to work with wet hair every day. No fun! Then I read somewhere (probably on this site) that if you rub a little leave in conditioner with water in your hands and spread that throughout your hair, you can bring the curls back to life without soaking your head. So now that's what I do.
    I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner as my leave in - it's not meant as a leave in, but works fine for me. I then use a little bit of styling product over that (AG Re:coil or Totally Twisted Mousse) and let it totally air dry - which only takes about 1/2 hour instead of 3 hours (yay!) Then I scrunch my hair, shake at the roots to separate, push the curls around a little and I'm good to go. Currently I've managed to make it to day four using this method.

Hopefully this tip helps someone else as much as it helped me!
  • HerbHerb Registered Users Posts: 53 Curl Neophyte
    I thought I was the only person who hated 2nd day hair. LOL
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Registered Users Posts: 428
    I sleep with my hair in a pineapple on a satin pillowcase first of all :)
    When I wake up I spritz areas that are needed and apply a mixture of conditioner and gel. If that is not needed I just flip my head over, fluff my curls lightly at the roots, and go :D
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file