Love/Hate relationship with Lush's hair products

ladyvesperladyvesper Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I would like to start this out by saying that I used to be all about Lush's products.. UNTIL.. I found out that they still actively use parabens and sulfates in their products. Thankfully, I've been able to find parabens free alternatives to all of their face products (mainly, anything solid), but the one thing that I haven't been able to give up because it just works too damn well is Curly Wurly shampoo, American Cream conditioner and R&B hair moisturizer. It really is a love-hate relationship. I hate their use of sulfates, but I can't help but love the way it leaves my hair. I did reach out to Lush about this, and they did tell me they are actively working on a way to exclude sulfates completely from their hair products.. but no word as to when or if that will even happen. :(

Either way.. I have 2b hair.. and for YEARS -- I kid you not -- I have not been able to find anything that works for my hair. I have thin, wavy, frizz prone hair and everything I have found either weighs my hair down and makes it look thinner, or doesn't moisturize enough and leaves it an unmanageable poof ball. I am 28 years old.. and I have recently just found something that works. I wash with Curly Wurly & condition with American Cream. When I get out of the shower I gently squeeze the water out of my hair with a towel, just enough so that it's not sopping wet and dripping and is instead a cross between wet and damp. I then brush my hair with a comb and separate my hair into three parts with hair clips. I spritz Organix Anti-Frizz Hydrating Kukui Oil evenly over these three parts, releasing my hair from the clips as I am spraying. I then take just a very small amount of R&B hair moisturizer (believe me.. a little goes a long way.. I used way too much of this stuff the first time I used it and my hair was a grease ball) and work it from my ends to my roots. I then just allow my hair to air dry. I honestly could not believe that something so simple could work so well. My waves are bouncy, shiny and most importantly -- mostly frizz free. The only thing that would make this better is if -- as previously stated -- Lush made more of an effort to rid their shampoos and conditioners of sulfates. If other companies can do it, I don't understand why Lush -- a company that markets itself as being natural and fresh -- can't figure out a way to do it. Especially for what they charge for their products. I know I shouldn't use these hair products regardless, but to date I have found nothing else that works as well as this combination on my hair. I'd be willing to hear suggestions, if you have them, however.

Just wanted to share my own personal "A-ha!" moment because I'm way too psyched about how well my hair is doing. :)

That's all.

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ladyvesper wrote: »
    I would like to start this out by saying that I used to be all about Lush's products.. UNTIL.. I found out that they still actively use parabens and sulfates in their products. Thankfully, I've been able to find parabens free alternatives to all of their face products (mainly, anything solid), but the one thing that I haven't been able to give up because it just works too damn well is Curly Wurly shampoo, American Cream conditioner and R&B hair moisturizer. It really is a love-hate relationship. I hate their use of sulfates, but I can't help but love the way it leaves my hair. I did reach out to Lush about this, and they did tell me they are actively working on a way to exclude sulfates completely from their hair products.. but no word as to when or if that will even happen. :(

Either way.. I have 2b hair.. and for YEARS -- I kid you not -- I have not been able to find anything that works for my hair. I have thin, wavy, frizz prone hair and everything I have found either weighs my hair down and makes it look thinner, or doesn't moisturize enough and leaves it an unmanageable poof ball. I am 28 years old.. and I have recently just found something that works. I wash with Curly Wurly & condition with American Cream. When I get out of the shower I gently squeeze the water out of my hair with a towel, just enough so that it's not sopping wet and dripping and is instead a cross between wet and damp. I then brush my hair with a comb and separate my hair into three parts with hair clips. I spritz Organix Anti-Frizz Hydrating Kukui Oil evenly over these three parts, releasing my hair from the clips as I am spraying. I then take just a very small amount of R&B hair moisturizer (believe me.. a little goes a long way.. I used way too much of this stuff the first time I used it and my hair was a grease ball) and work it from my ends to my roots. I then just allow my hair to air dry. I honestly could not believe that something so simple could work so well. My waves are bouncy, shiny and most importantly -- mostly frizz free. The only thing that would make this better is if -- as previously stated -- Lush made more of an effort to rid their shampoos and conditioners of sulfates. If other companies can do it, I don't understand why Lush -- a company that markets itself as being natural and fresh -- can't figure out a way to do it. Especially for what they charge for their products. I know I shouldn't use these hair products regardless, but to date I have found nothing else that works as well as this combination on my hair. I'd be willing to hear suggestions, if you have them, however.

Just wanted to share my own personal "A-ha!" moment because I'm way too psyched about how well my hair is doing. :)

That's all.

They might not work as well. 2s don't always have the same difficulty with sulfates as others. I'm all about trying the best way, but if it works, it works.

(I know for me, I need to use sulfates about every other wash.)
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file