CG Product Recommendations for College Budget?

Mara.KruegerMara.Krueger Posts: 8Registered Users
Hi All!

I'm fairly new to this (as in just found out about CG today), and looking for inexpensive (preferably below $10 a bottle!) co-wash and regular conditioners. My hair type is 2B, medium texture and normal to high porosity.

Thanks!
Mara :love5:
Hair Type: 2B
New to CG
College Budget

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I mostly use VO5 Kiwi-Lime Squeeze Conditioner for my everything conditioner. I was just using it as a co-wash until Lorraine Massey's former assistant, Carlos Flores, told me it was just fine for my other conditioner needs also. It costs $1 at a dollar store, but it's also available at big box stores; but I've also found it in "family size" bottles for under $2 at Walmart.

You can go wild with another couple of dollars and get a bottle of LA Looks gel to go with it, and you'll still be under $4.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Mara.KruegerMara.Krueger Posts: 8Registered Users
    Awesome! Thanks so much, I'll try that :)
    New to CG
    College Budget
  • Keltey1031Keltey1031 Posts: 115Registered Users
    Definitely agree with the VO5 kiwi condish. You can also try the Suave Naturals conditioners. I've tried both the Juicy Green Apple and the Tropical Coconut but my hair seems to prefer the Coconut.

Tresemme also makes a couple conditioners you could try including the Naturals Nourishing Moisture with Aloe Vera and Avocado as well as a newer addition that I have yet to try but has gotten pretty good feedback around here called Perfectly (un)Done Weightless Moisturizing Conditioner.

All of those are well below $10 a bottle and you can usually find coupons in Sunday papers for Tresemme and Suave.
    2b/armpit length/high density/normal porosity/medium texture/normal elasticity
    Cut hair from mid-back length to armpit length on 9/19/15

Current Products
    SM Strengthen Grow & Restore Shampoo
    SM Coconut Water Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    SM Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
    HE Naked Volumizing Souffle
  • lionfeatherlionfeather Posts: 20Registered Users
    I really like As I Am Coconut Cowash...I got it for $8 at Target but it looks like you can get it for $6.50 at Walgreens (according to their website).

I also like Shea Moisture's curl styling milk (pink label). It's close to $10 a bottle but it has lasted me a long time. I also dilute it to make a refresher spray.
    2A/2B high density, medium/coarse texture, still figuring out porosity

As I Am coconut cowash
    Yes to Carrots anti-frizz serum
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you have a Sally's? Sally's is a GREAT place for bargains even on higher end stuff.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Keltey1031 wrote: »
    Definitely agree with the VO5 kiwi condish. You can also try the Suave Naturals conditioners. I've tried both the Juicy Green Apple and the Tropical Coconut but my hair seems to prefer the Coconut.

Tresemme also makes a couple conditioners you could try including the Naturals Nourishing Moisture with Aloe Vera and Avocado as well as a newer addition that I have yet to try but has gotten pretty good feedback around here called Perfectly (un)Done Weightless Moisturizing Conditioner.

All of those are well below $10 a bottle and you can usually find coupons in Sunday papers for Tresemme and Suave.

I've heard good things about all of those, I'm probably going to get VO5 for my co-wash and then use the Tresemme for my regular. Thanks!
    New to CG
    College Budget
    I really like As I Am Coconut Cowash...I got it for $8 at Target but it looks like you can get it for $6.50 at Walgreens (according to their website).

I also like Shea Moisture's curl styling milk (pink label). It's close to $10 a bottle but it has lasted me a long time. I also dilute it to make a refresher spray.

I've seen a lot about As I Am, and I think if I ever have a little extra money to splurge I might try it :) How long does the Curl Styling Milk last you roughly? I'm not too sure on whether or not I'm going to be using styling product, that's something I'm going to be experimenting with for a little bit.
    New to CG
    College Budget
    chupie wrote: »
    Do you have a Sally's? Sally's is a GREAT place for bargains even on higher end stuff.

There's a Sally's not too far from me, I'll just have to ask my roommate to drive me out there :) any recommendations from Sally's?
    New to CG
    College Budget
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

There's a Sally's not too far from me, I'll just have to ask my roommate to drive me out there :) any recommendations from Sally's?

Sally's has the As I Am products and often sales. A lot of the Shea Moisture stuff (which is too heavy for me and tends to build up). Jane Carter. Eco Styler gels (which are good clumpers and very inexpensive). they used to have my HG Volumax Mega gel but sadly it's discontinued. :(

Many people love the Generic Value Price Conditioning Balm which is basically Matrix Conditioning balm for dirt cheap. It's a great deep treatment especially with honey added. It's a great place to buy because they have such good return policies and lots of sales.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • lionfeatherlionfeather Posts: 20Registered Users
    How long does the Curl Styling Milk last you roughly? I'm not too sure on whether or not I'm going to be using styling product, that's something I'm going to be experimenting with for a little bit.

I've had this bottle for 8+ months, but that's mostly because I don't use it every wash. I like it best diluted as a refresher...I use about a nickel sized amount in a small spray bottle (maybe 2-3 oz) and spray that on my 2nd and 3rd day hair to spruce up the waves.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help! :P

My local Target seems to have discounts on Shea Moisture products quite frequently. I've heard of similar deals at Walgreens. If you're interested in SM products, you could keep an eye on local drugstores to see if some good deals pop up.
    2A/2B high density, medium/coarse texture, still figuring out porosity

As I Am coconut cowash
    Yes to Carrots anti-frizz serum

Sally's has the As I Am products and often sales. A lot of the Shea Moisture stuff (which is too heavy for me and tends to build up). Jane Carter. Eco Styler gels (which are good clumpers and very inexpensive). they used to have my HG Volumax Mega gel but sadly it's discontinued. :(

Many people love the Generic Value Price Conditioning Balm which is basically Matrix Conditioning balm for dirt cheap. It's a great deep treatment especially with honey added. It's a great place to buy because they have such good return policies and lots of sales.

I'll have to check it out! I'm waiting to run out of my sulfate shampoo before I start any CG, so I'm desperately trying to get rid of it! Lol
    New to CG
    College Budget
    How long does the Curl Styling Milk last you roughly? I'm not too sure on whether or not I'm going to be using styling product, that's something I'm going to be experimenting with for a little bit.

I've had this bottle for 8+ months, but that's mostly because I don't use it every wash. I like it best diluted as a refresher...I use about a nickel sized amount in a small spray bottle (maybe 2-3 oz) and spray that on my 2nd and 3rd day hair to spruce up the waves.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help! :P

My local Target seems to have discounts on Shea Moisture products quite frequently. I've heard of similar deals at Walgreens. If you're interested in SM products, you could keep an eye on local drugstores to see if some good deals pop up.

No, that was still helpful! I'll check out the SM stuff at my Target and Walgreens, too, if I ever wanna treat myself a little bit :)
    New to CG
    College Budget
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    I'd like to recommend Tresemme (Un)Done conditioner too. It's wonderfully moisturizing and really helped my hair after a protein overload. Tresemme Naturals is also great, but I prefer the (un)Done one!

LA Looks Sport Gel is another recommendation I'm seconding. It was good when I was first starting out CG. It can be a little crunchy, but it scrunches right out. It also layers nicely over other products.

Also, if you want a low-poo to help you transition into COwashing, Shea Moisture shampoos are lovely! You can sometimes find them on a buy one get one free at CVS.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• SugarCanedSugarCaned Posts: 15Registered Users
    Science-y Hair Blog: Product List By Category

I use this list pretty regularly. I have low-porosity, 2C curls that are protein-sensitive

Currently my products (college budget as well) include:

My low-poo which is sulfate-free and has Cocamidopropyl Betaine as the first ingredient, which according to most of the science-y people around will remove most 'cones (What's the Scoop on Silicones? ). I use it when my hair looks flat, oily or after buld-up causing things like 'cones and protein.
    Renpure Originals - Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo - 32 fl oz for $7.29 currently on drugstore.com or 16 fl oz for $5.79 (currently buy one get one free sale!) at Walgreens

My deep treatment I use virgin coconut oil (look for expeller-pressed or virgin or extra-virgin, means the same), about once a month, which can be found at wal-mart on the baking aisle for around $8 bucks for 16oz, I like spectrum naturals organic extra virgin coconut oil. Let it melt in your hair and, well, i'm sure there are better instructions for using it on here... LOL

For pre-swim sealant I wet my hair and use jojoba oil, currently Desert Essence 100% Pure Jojoba Oil for Hair, Skin & Scalp 4 fl oz on drugstore.com for $7.50

For co-wash (daily) I use V05 Kiwi Lime with lemongrass Clarifying Conditioner, which can usually be found at any drugstore for $1, even at dollar stores! It contains Stearyalkonium Chloride which is a great gentle cleanser, Is wen conditioner a wonder? but it does have a hydrating protein, collagen. Be careful NOT to get the clarifying shampoo next to it :) I use this all over my hair and scalp.

For daily conditioner I use GVP conditioning balm found at Sally's Beauty Supply, 16oz for $6.50, sometimes BOGO or 2/$10, which is protein-free and silicone-free. I use this on the bottom of my hair

I use The "Wet" brush detangling brush from sally's (also Target) and t does WONDERS for detangling my hair after "plopping"

I got a 100% cotton dark pillowcase from goodwill for $1 to do the "plopping" post-shower drying method, which really helps prevent frizz.

I'm working on a gel, mouse or other CG product for clumping but currently using Fruit of the earth Aloe Vera 100% gel (notice its not 100% aloe, ha!) about $4 from walmart in the after-sun area

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/173964-best-cheap-hair-products.html this thread has some good ideas too, although some products may have been discontinued or formula changed since then.

GOOD LUCK!
    2c - med course - low porosity - low density - BSL
    NP/LP: V05 Kiwi / GF Triple Nutrition Curl Nourish 'poo
    RO: GVP Conditioning balm
    DC/PROTEIN: ApHogee 2 step/ jojoba oil to seal
    OILS: Coconut
    COLOR: Stargazer Plume
    ALLERGIES: avocado, pomegranate
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    Hi All!

I'm fairly new to this (as in just found out about CG today), and looking for inexpensive (preferably below $10 a bottle!) co-wash and regular conditioners. My hair type is 2B, medium texture and normal to high porosity.

Thanks!

These may have already been posted, but some of the threads I've bookmarked for lower-priced or drugstore-available products are below. Some of these are older threads, so the products may be discontinued or their formulations may have changed, but I'm using their lists as a starting point at the drugstore!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/175863-favourite-low-priced-staples.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/76251-curlies-budget.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/swap-board-canadians/175490-strong-hold-drugstore-gel.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/trying-shampoo-free-method/174631-more-moisturizing-drugstore-conditioner.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/122388-good-drugstore-cg-friendly-products.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/108538-cg-budget-possible.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/106987-what-your-most-affordable-holy-grails.html
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file