May Hits & Misses

adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi Curlistas!

Hit - Uncle Funky's Daughter Thirty Curls Leave in curls revitalizer.

I received a sample size bottle a year ago and just started to use a few months ago. I love it as a refresher spray. More than my beloved Jane Carter li.. I just hate to look up the price because it's not sold on the ground here.
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Joico hairspray.

It smells good, but doesn't hold well. Thumbs down.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I love the thick, snotty consistency of the Cantu shine and define custard. I've been using that with the cantu coconut cream. My hair seems to like it
  • Flower823Flower823 Posts: 39Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hit: devacurl b' leave in
    It's doing amazing thing to help my curls become frizz free and shiny!!
    Sent from my LG-D850 using CurlTalk App
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Miss: Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel - for the price, it only looked good on Day 1 & 2 hair. After that, I had patches of frizz.

Idk why I keep diverting from my HG (Suave Curl Control Mousse)...nothing else has compared!
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

OMG, Scrills — that description! Yuck!!!
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    miss -uncle funky's daughter curl enhancing gel.

Maybe I shouldn't use a moisturizer under this but my hair felt over conditioned and never got completely dry. hot mess. nope.. reminds me of kinky curly custard which didn't work for me.
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »

Maybe I shouldn't use a moisturizer under this but my hair felt over conditioned and never got completely dry. hot mess. nope.. reminds me of kinky curly custard which didn't work for me.

Sorry to hear about UFD Curly Magic being a miss for you. As, it actually happens to be my all time favorite gel. I have never experienced any problems with it leaving my curls feeling over conditioned or ever not completely drying in my hair either, which is why, I was surprised that such actually happened to you. Now, with KCCC, i have seen a lot of videos on YT where curlies have gotten this product to work for them, which is why I SO wanted it to work for my curls as well. Unfortunately, it ended up being a huge disappointment for me too. I tried getting it to work, but nothing ended up working.

With UFD Curly Magic, I find that in order for me to get the best results, I can't apply anything else underneath it. Have you ever tried applying it alone to your hair, w/o anything underneath? If not, I would recommend possibly trying such, just to see if you happen to get better results that way.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hit!
    Using "lube" as a CK knockoff. I'm using the Walmart brand, Equate (about $2 for 4 oz.), knockoff of KY. My hair LOVES it!
    Miss
    Nothing yet...having too much fun with CK knockoff to try anything else, and I have a lot to try. Dang Sally's and their awesome sale.

Sorry to hear about UFD Curly Magic being a miss for you. As, it actually happens to be my all time favorite gel. I have never experienced any problems with it leaving my curls feeling over conditioned or ever not completely drying in my hair either, which is why, I was surprised that such actually happened to you. Now, with KCCC, i have seen a lot of videos on YT where curlies have gotten this product to work for them, which is why I SO wanted it to work for my curls as well. Unfortunately, it ended up being a huge disappointment for me too. I tried getting it to work, but nothing ended up working.

With UFD Curly Magic, I find that in order for me to get the best results, I can't apply anything else underneath it. Have you ever tried applying it alone to your hair, w/o anything underneath? If not, I would recommend possibly trying such, just to see if you happen to get better results that way.
    No I haven't tried with nothing underneath. My experience has been skipping the li is a big no no..I might be willing to try without except this is a sample and I used almost all of it. I have thick hair. I also used it after a cowash and sometimes my hair doesn't like a product switch without a shampoo. If I get another sample I will try it again. I go to a natural hair events
    Why is the lotion version of a perfume so much different? I ask because Crabtree & Evelyn's lavender perfume is splendid, while the lavender body creme is awful.Old lady awful.

Yick.
  • danyel02danyel02 Posts: 156Registered Users
    Miss: Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee as a detangler on wet hair. I did not have enough slip. I'm going to try it on dry hair and as a deep conditioner.
    Type: 4a Fine Texture
    CG since 2008 - Life long natural
    Holy Grails
    Cleanser: Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
    Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    Leave-ins: Camille Rose Moisture Milk & Almond Jai
    D/T: Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent Treatment
    Protein: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Butters: Qhemet Amla & Olive, Bask Condensed Custard
    Oils: Coconut & Grapeseed
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    idk about anyone else but I stepped out on a limb and tried Nene's Secret Gorgeous Gro... I know petrolatum is the first ingredient but it is 'sealing' my dry hair like no one's business. I haven't felt like this since grade school... lol. Will probably use once a week to seal, and not concerned about buildup and etc because acv/etc...
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
    ReynaCR wrote: »
    idk about anyone else but I stepped out on a limb and tried Nene's Secret Gorgeous Gro... I know petrolatum is the first ingredient but it is 'sealing' my dry hair like no one's business. I haven't felt like this since grade school... lol. Will probably use once a week to seal, and not concerned about buildup and etc because acv/etc...

I've seen this line at my Sally's. I don't think mineral oil is bad per se. Just that some people's hair doesn't like it. My hair has never liked hair grease but I know people it works awesome for. My great grandma was a "grease and water" lady and had lovely hair while I'm more of an "oil and water".
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    ReynaCR wrote: »

I've seen this line at my Sally's. I don't think mineral oil is bad per se. Just that some people's hair doesn't like it. My hair has never liked hair grease but I know people it works awesome for. My great grandma was a "grease and water" lady and had lovely hair while I'm more of an "oil and water".

Yes I've always done good with hair grease too and I cut it out when trying to ride the all natural product wave, idk though... have to use it a few more times before an honest review. It's the only product I have from the line though, it feels good, feels better than when I use only oil and product on my hair and smells kind of sweet...
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
    Miss: Tresemme Undone Gel: smells lousy, average hold.
  • Curlybee1Curlybee1 Posts: 55Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hit- Eco Argan gel (yellow)
    Mis- Giovanni coconut & blackberry condish & Eco (pink) for curls & waves
    Trying this week- Biolage Exquisite Oil condish
  • StarJessicaStarJessica Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hit:Kinky-curly knot today
    I originally brought it to detangle my hair, but found that it brought out my curls and coils,I can't wait to try it with their curling custard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file