Giovanni conditioners

frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
On the journey to find a replacement for my now discontinued HG Alba Botanica Volumizing Conditioner (*sigh* they just have to dc the unicorn product for my hair), I tried Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume Conditioner.

While it's really thick, makes my hair feels likes silk and lathers really well as co-wash (I need much less product with this conditioner), I found that it flattens my roots and doesn't give me good clumping. It makes my hair way too soft and despite the amount of jelly I used, I barely got any hold.

I thought it was just my recently reformulated DIY Okra Jelly, but when I tried the jelly again with AB Volumizing Conditioner, the great clumping and hold returned although my roots stayed flat since I just cowashed and didn't clarify (I suspected it was the Poly-7 that wrecked havoc on my hair).

I was going to try 50:50 Balanced-Hydrating and Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioners, but now hesitated due to Root 66 letdown. Should I still give them a try considering that they have guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride and oil (thus potentially heavier)? My hair didn't like much ghpc in the past and for something I have to fuss ordering online, if it's any heavier than Root 66, I'd rather not.

Would appreciate your advice. And my hair's properties are in my siggy. TIA!
2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
(by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile

Comments

• BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    I actually like the Giovanni Smooth as Silk line even though my hair is super-fine. It doesn't weigh it down as long as I'm careful to keep the conditioner off the roots. I've Tried the TTT (conditioner only) and I find I still like the SAS the best. My hair is baby fine and color treated.
    I've never tried the Root 66, though.
    I shampoo with the SAS poo and follow with the SAS conditioner, mainly keeping off the roots, though. I concentrate most of my conditioning from the top of ears down, otherwise I get a flat look.
    Usually when I use those I follow up with the Giovanni More Body thickening gel.
    The three seem to work best together for me.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I really think you have type 3 hair. It's very pretty, but curlier than a type 2.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've found that when my jelly doesn't give me hold, I am in need of protein. I'd try the Smooth as Silk. I've only used it once and it made me itchy, so can't say how well/not well it works.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really think you have type 3 hair. It's very pretty, but curlier than a type 2.

Are you referring to my hair in the ID photo? That was one of many rare days for my hair. I think it was also due to the cut I had at the time. I've never managed to get my hair that curly anymore. Even if I coax it a lot, it's a somewhat lazy 3a at best.

I can plop to get stronger pattern, but that totally kills any volume on my little hair. :(

I attached the picture of what my hair looks like nowadays.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Such a cute haircut! Where did you get it done?
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, wavydaze!

I got my haircut in a local salon here (I live in Malta). The hairdresser's a friend of mine and she has curly hair herself (3b), so I broke my longterm resolution of only getting haircut with my trusted-for-years hairdresser back home. She cuts my hair wet and brushed, but it always turns out great!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use the 50 50 conditioner regularly, and I do like it. It doesn't over condition my hair but gives it enough. I use it often for sure. It detangles pretty well too.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file