bushy hair help?

nancypants94nancypants94 Posts: 26Registered Users
Alright, so need a little help!
I've finally decided to give gel a fair shot (I was off put by it at first), and I like the results. My issue is that it doesn't last! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?
I'm using the LA looks extreme sports gel. I use a ton of it! My hair is medium/thin, but very dense. I SOTC in the morning, but by 2 in the afternoon, i'm all bushy again! I know I play with my hair some but it is suppose to be a strong hold gel.
I've also tried using it on soaking wet hair, and on wet but not dripping, and on damp.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    What *I* have done to prevent this is to mist on some of this spray after SOTC:

Garnier Fructis Style Wonder Waves W/Fruit Micro-Waxes Flexible Hold Wave-Enhancing Spray, 8.5 fl oz - Walmart.com

I bought some "mister" type spray bottles; they make a much FINER mist than this spray bottle does. But this prevents the "bushy" problem. You don't want too much; just a fine mist all over the surface of your hair is what you need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe just try another gel! Sometimes certain products don't work well for certain hair types *shrugs* just experiment!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Which conditioner do you use, and do you leave any in before applying your gel?
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i know the lalsg has glycerin which can take in too much moisture, making hair too big. i don't know the ingredients in the one you have.
    also, have you tried sealing your hair before applying the gel?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was going to mention leave in also. You may need more under your gel.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • nancypants94nancypants94 Posts: 26Registered Users
    What *I* have done to prevent this is to mist on some of this spray after SOTC:

Garnier Fructis Style Wonder Waves W/Fruit Micro-Waxes Flexible Hold Wave-Enhancing Spray, 8.5 fl oz - Walmart.com

I bought some "mister" type spray bottles; they make a much FINER mist than this spray bottle does. But this prevents the "bushy" problem. You don't want too much; just a fine mist all over the surface of your hair is what you need.

And this is cg? I don't necessarily want to add even more steps, but if it works, I'll do it! Lol
    Maybe just try another gel! Sometimes certain products don't work well for certain hair types *shrugs* just experiment!

Yeah, I'll try tonight tonight. I have the Aussie instant freeze. I liked the sport gel, just didn't last all day in humidity:/
    Which conditioner do you use, and do you leave any in before applying your gel?

Well I've just been leaving in some conditioning balm with kckt. So I guess yeah, leave in.
    rbb wrote: »
    i know the lalsg has glycerin which can take in too much moisture, making hair too big. i don't know the ingredients in the one you have.
    also, have you tried sealing your hair before applying the gel?

I looked and I think you're right about glycerin. I haven't been sealing, but I picked up the 10-in-1 serum from Shea moisture, I'm going to try sealing with that tonight!
    & thank you all for replying! Imma try basically all your suggestions at once tonight! Leave in, seal with serum, gel with no glycerin, and if that doesn't work, I'm picking up the wonder waves! Phew! The things we curlies do!
  • LiannaLianna Posts: 36Registered Users
    Naturally my hair is quite bushy and I don't like gel, leave-ins and lots of oil helps. I oil before (let it sit a few min or hours depends on the day) and after washing/combing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file