Trying CG AGAIN! ;) - Also, to Color or Not to color

debrocdebroc Posts: 20Registered Users
So I posted asking for help in my routine and didn't get many responses as to stuff to try. I need help. I am at the place where I just go back to using my old stuff. My hair feels dry now and now I have frizz, which usually isn't my issue. :sad5: Trying CG gives me very inconsistent results. Please help me form the basics based on what you all know.
I have have tons of medium hair strands (70 microns), but my pony tail is the size of a nickle, low elasticity when wet, high porosity, 2c/3a, shoulder length (when curly). I started CG silicone free a couple of weeks ago. I want to try silicone free so that I don't have to use a sulfate at all, just low poo. Until that point I used a sulfate shampoo once a week to clarify. My hair gets weighed down very easily. I have preferred mousses to gels. Gels typically make my hair look dirty, wet or crunchy even after scrunching out the crunch. My hair dehydrates very quickly with Curl Keeper or Garnier Pure Gel. Where should I begin. What has worked for you? ANY ideas on what to use and how to use it.
SECOND - I color my hair dark. I would like to go back close to natural to stop the never ending color process, but to do so would need to get highlights. I know my hair is unhappy...would you do the highlights to eventually cut down on the amount of coloring the hair?

ANY AND ALL IDEAS WOULD BE SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I'm usually an advocate of going with a really basic routine and adding things in gradually so you know what your hair does or doesn't like. Going CG takes time and patience - it may be months before you see consistent results.

I'm fine and more porous than not and live in a climate where my dewpoints are usually low, sometimes high and rarely optimal. So I stick to mostly humectant free products, and my fine hair likes protein.

My favorite gel is Volumax Mega, sadly discontinued (I am hoarding it, haha!). Next in line that gives me regular results is homemade flax seed gel with gelatin in it topped with Aussie Instant Freeze. I need a really hard hold. If you decide to make your own flax seed gel, try it plain first (plenty of threads out there on how to make it and all the goodies you can add to it).

Mousse isn't hard enough hold for me generally, but if it works well for you there are some good ones out there. If your dew points are optimal I like the Herbal Essence mousses and Suave has one in a silver can that has no humectants but does have collagen (protein from gelatin). Check this one's label carefully as there's another one in a silver can that is "for curl forming" or something but contains dimethicone. These are my favorites that I've tried. I have to top them with something harder hold for them to stand up all day - and all are CG. And cheap to try!

Focus on the moisture of your hair first - find a good conditioner that you like. I don't exclusively cowash; sometimes fine haired wavies like a low poo. I alternate every other wash. My hair isn't fond of heavy products to be left in; I use little or no leave in as long as my hair is well moisturized. I haven't found a leave in I love yet.

If your hair is porous watch the amount of humectants you are using as it could contribute to dry hair if the dew points are not in the touted 40-60*F range. Sealing with oils doesn't work for me (too heavy, pulls all my curl out) so I like a water soluble silicone (this list is a good reference). The Garnier Pure Clean has a lot of glycerin and gives me problems outside of optimal dewpoints. But I prefer it mixed with AIF anyway. I don't use that combo much.

Coco betaine type cleansers will usually help cleanse the hair of silicone buildup if you decide to experiment with non water soluble cones, and this way you can stay sulfate free.

I don't color; I'm going gray as gracefully as I can, so I can't help you there. Hopefully this will give you a place to start thinking! I'm a big proponent of going slowly and cheaply. Others will have better suggestions for high end stuff. My picky skin tends to prefer drugstore products. :blah5:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • debrocdebroc Posts: 20Registered Users
    I can't thank you enough for your insights. Right now the dew point here is 45 and humidity is 63. I tried volume mega, but it was way too much or too much with the other products I used. It made my hair feel really gritty and dry. I guess that's good if it's being discontinued!! ��
    Most mousses don't have enough hold for me either....but my hair looks better than when try gels. So any conditioner suggestions?!
    Mega took some trial and error for me to figure out how to use, I hated it at first as well! Sometimes with a product it pays to try out a lot of different techniques before you completely give up on something.

My conditioners are really basic and not sexy at all - because my fine hair gets easily weighed down I like a conditioner that rinses out really cleanly. My favorites are V05's Kiwi Lime and ION's Effective Care (Sally's). Both have protein in them; a protein free conditioner I like is V05's Vanilla Mint Tea. Suave conditioners seem a little gunky to me FWIW but they are a favorite of a lot of folks. I avoid any that have cetyl esters or heavy oils - my fine hair objects to both of these, but YMMV. Ingredient likes and dislikes are highly individual.

For a good dose of moisture I also use GVP Conditioning Balm (also at Sally's). I use this as a pre-poo occasionally but not as a regular rinse out since it is really thick. But it does make my hair feel awesome :)

You could also try topping a mousse with a thin layer of gel to see if you can get some more hold out of it! You might not need very much. I have good luck with this from time to time (I still have mousses under the sink that I need to use up; sometimes mousse is nice on second day hair). There's really nothing like a good gel for definition and hold. It took me a while to find gels I liked; some gel polymers are a little bratty with my hair.

:thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    So I layered the gel over the mousse and it is pretty perfect!!! The biggest problem I have is hair looking too formed, if that makes sense. Curls are super clumped and it almost looks wet even though there is not crunch. It looks best second day, but I have to rewet in the shower every day as I work out and get super sweaty. So just doing second day hair will never be an option. Anyone know how to break up the curls a little without creating frizz?
    Try running your fingers through a little or ruffling your hair at the scalp, gently, from underneath.

I like to lightly comb through sometimes with a really wide toothed comb; I have mixed patterns that come together a little better if I do that. Don't go too wild with it though, experiment to see where your happy medium lies. Going from underneath minimizes the canopy frizz.

I'm glad that gel over mousse is working for you! :toothy4:

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    If your hair looks wet when there's no crunch, it sounds like too much product usage. I always part the top of my big clumps in half and gently pull them apart. Then turn my head upside down and "fluff" at the roots, then give my head a good shake and whip it up. Then from there you can place your curls and go!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Have you tried kinky curly curling custard? It is the only thing that gives me hold without drying. Mouses in general don't hold well in my hair, it's too thick.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CurlTalk App
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
    I just picked some up and was going to try it out today!! We will see how it goes!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file