Well, I've done it now...Advice Requested

h2wQueenh2wQueen Posts: 551Registered Users
Hello All,

Sooo, I colored my hair and it didn't like it. I went lighter...much lighter. So my curls were definetely relaxed by the color. However the major issue is that my hair is so dry and tangled now. I'm considering becoming a pressed natural(straightened hair), which for me is a bit sad because i really do like my curls. My theory is that i can keep it moisturized better while its straigtht. I've seem to notice this before in the past. My thoughts are that if i flat iron it once a week or once every two and roll it at nights in between or do some updo style then i can grow health hair back out while saving what i have up now. I've done some protein treatments and moisture treatments and while they've helped, I've got to do something on a day to day basis that may put less stress on the hair.

Full disclosure...i get my hair done about every two weeks professionally.
Any ideas or thoughts. I'm open to any experiences you've had or advice.
"We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi H2wQueen,

It's so very upsetting when the color isn't what we expected! I totally sympathize. Sometimes I've been crazy and colored my hair 3 times in one day just trying to get the color to "take" and look good. I'm surprised my hair hasn't fallen out!

I really suggest roller sets of you know how to do them. I use plastic rollers with bobby pins because the velcro ones don't work for me and the sponge ones make my hair a frizzy mess. Yes, I've tried them all. The roller sets usually look excellent and they are much less damaging to the hair than flat ironing. The main annoying thing about roller sets is they take a long time to dry with a hand-held dryer.

There are some great youtube videos to show you how to do a roller set, if that is helpful.

I hope your hair recovers and looks good. Please update and let us know what you are doing and how your hair is recovering. What color did you end up with?

Anyway, very best to you!!! :flower:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I can tell you from first hand experience that flat iron on top of color damage is a disaster! Parts of my hair have fried off from this in the past. The thinking that if you flat iron, you can keep it more moisturized is definitely false thinking. For one, heat evaporates water - essentially dehydrating your hair. Secondly, it just takes 1 time of leaving the iron on too long, or missing a spot of protection that can truly damage your hair. A better bet would be keeping it in it's current state and doing what you can to make it look good - different styles, etc. By all means, if you wish to flat iron your hair, please do so! You just have to think about what you want as your end result.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Unless you plan to stay a straight natural I don't feel good suggesting once a week press. my grandma and great grandma were straight naturals and healthy and they went two weeks. for me at least the process on blow drying and straightening lends itself to dryness and permanent hair color does too. double whammy. maybe press then as it starts to revert do braidouts. if it feels fragile I wouldn't want to add too much stress.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Condition. Condition. Deep condition. Condition

If you want your curls to return, I would suggest giving your hair a break, maybe a protein treatment, and def deep conditioning. I wouldn't add heat to the issue. that will only make it worse. I would not add heat for at least another 4-6 weeks
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Posts: 551Registered Users
    My plan worked. Keeping it straight allowed the moisture to get into my hair and not leave as much. I have noticed a significant improvement. My hair is not as dry, detangling was much easier and ironically my curls seemed to bounce back a bit. I would also say that this Quidad deep conditioner (Melt-Down Extreme Repair Mask) is doing a fantastic job. I've decided to go the route of crochet braids to give my hair a break for a bit and i'm going to get those soon.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    h2wQueen wrote: »
    My plan worked. Keeping it straight allowed the moisture to get into my hair and not leave as much. I have noticed a significant improvement. My hair is not as dry, detangling was much easier and ironically my curls seemed to bounce back a bit. I would also say that this Quidad deep conditioner (Melt-Down Extreme Repair Mask) is doing a fantastic job. I've decided to go the route of crochet braids to give my hair a break for a bit and i'm going to get those soon.

lol i love the name of the dc. lol
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file