2c/3a Hair Routine Help

debrocdebroc Posts: 20Registered Users
I really need some advice. I tried to go CG 5 years ago and gave up. I know that it takes time and trial and error, but I really need support and help. I had a hair analysis done, so I can give you quite a bit of info about my hair. What seems to work for a couple of days, stops working. It's frustrating. I think I am sensitive to glycerin, but don't know. Curl Keeper makes my hair look amazing, but feel super gritty and dirty when wet. Same with Garnier Pure Clean Gel. It looks great, but feels horrible when wet and both coat my hair after a couple of uses. Do you guys think it's the glycerin?! I am staying away from silicones so that I don't have to use sulfates. I would like to use products I don't have to order online. I am a cosmetologist so I do have access to professional products for a low cost.

- Low Porosity roots, High porosity mid-shaft/ends
- Hair Strain Thickness: Mainly medium
- Hair Elasticity: Normal - Dry, Wet - Very Low
- 2c/3a gets weighed down easily
- Although I have tons of hair, it is very low density, meaning my pony tail is only the size of a nickel. :(

I have to wet/style my hair everyday as I sweat a lot during my daily workouts and don't feel clean if I don't at least wet my hair in the shower.

Current Try-out routine:
- Deva Care Low Poo twice a week
- Co-wash: Suave Coconut
- Rinse Out: Shea Moisture Retention
(This area seems to work pretty well)

Stylers
- Leave-in: Deva Care One Condition or Shea Moisture Style Milk
- Curl Enhancer: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel
- Hard Hold Gel: LA Sports (Would love to find a substitute as I don't use products with parabens)

Some days it looks great, other days it doesn't. Any help here would be appreciated!!

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    debroc wrote: »
    I really need some advice. I tried to go CG 5 years ago and gave up. I know that it takes time and trial and error, but I really need support and help. I had a hair analysis done, so I can give you quite a bit of info about my hair. What seems to work for a couple of days, stops working. It's frustrating. I think I am sensitive to glycerin, but don't know. Curl Keeper makes my hair look amazing, but feel super gritty and dirty when wet. Same with Garnier Pure Clean Gel. It looks great, but feels horrible when wet and both coat my hair after a couple of uses. Do you guys think it's the glycerin?! I am staying away from silicones so that I don't have to use sulfates. I would like to use products I don't have to order online. I am a cosmetologist so I do have access to professional products for a low cost.

- Low Porosity roots, High porosity mid-shaft/ends
    - Hair Strain Thickness: Mainly medium
    - Hair Elasticity: Normal - Dry, Wet - Very Low
    - 2c/3a gets weighed down easily
    - Although I have tons of hair, it is very low density, meaning my pony tail is only the size of a nickel. :(

I have to wet/style my hair everyday as I sweat a lot during my daily workouts and don't feel clean if I don't at least wet my hair in the shower.

Current Try-out routine:
    - Deva Care Low Poo twice a week
    - Co-wash: Suave Coconut
    - Rinse Out: Shea Moisture Retention
    (This area seems to work pretty well)

Stylers
    - Leave-in: Deva Care One Condition or Shea Moisture Style Milk
    - Curl Enhancer: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel
    - Hard Hold Gel: LA Sports (Would love to find a substitute as I don't use products with parabens)

Some days it looks great, other days it doesn't. Any help here would be appreciated!!

One product you should look into is Oscar Blandi Hair Lifting Mousse. I love this mousse under a hard hold gel like your LA Looks. It is practically weightless. I don't know that glycerin would make your hair feel gritty? Usually it just gets gunky or straighter? SM milk is probably more culprity. Heavy and the Shea butter can REALLY build up.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • debrocdebroc Posts: 20Registered Users
    So why do you think Curl Keeper and the Garnier Pure Gel were such a problem for me? My hair doesn't feel that way so far using the SM products, but yes I am worried about build up after time. I have only been using them for a week!! Thanks for your response!
    I don't know. :( and why just when wet? But if your hair is easily weighed down I don't know how you use the SM milk.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    The Garnier gel also feels weird on my hair when wet - I think it's the silicate that's in it. I mix it with another gel and it's not so bad (but it takes forever to dry and I can only use it in normal dews, so I don't use it much, heh).

Curl keeper has a polymer in it (PVP/VA copolymer) that my hair objects to. PVP is an ingredient that seems to give me instant frizz even when wet. Most people seem to do ok with it but PVP just isn't my hair's friend. Go figure. It's in a lot of things.

I suspect your hair just doesn't like a particular ingredient, it happens. Glycerin will give me the frizzies in higher dews as the day progresses, but doesn't give me wet frizz.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Garnier's Pure Clean gel has Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate, which is a clay that's used as a thickener. I'd bet that it's what left your hair feeling gritty /gunky when dry. I had a similar issue with their Pure Clean conditioner when I tried it as a LI (it has a large amount of cornstarch in it).
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    I only use a pea size amount and it's too early to tell for buildup! ;) I will say, that going on a week of this routine, my hair is looking weighed down. It feels nice to the touch, and the curls are nicely formed, but it looks....dirty?
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally, if I use any product with chemicals in it, I need to use a lo poo next wash or my hair gets that gunky look/feel. Some people just get buildup easily or get buildup with particular ingredients. You may need to rotate your products or find different products altogether, or lo poo more often.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    I'm having issues with trying to nail down a consistent styling routine too. I'll be following this thread to see what other people suggest. We have similar hair properties - or at least the things you struggle with are also things I struggle with.

What are your goals for a styling routine? Do you want to push your hair more into the curly 3a category? Or would you rather keep it wavy? Are you looking for more curl definition?
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    For the longest time I thought my hair was high porosity, but now that I did the "hair in a bowl" trick I realize I am, in fact, LOW porosity, which changes the game a bit. My precious Devacurl isn't nearly moisturizing enough, methinks. Been using As I Am Coconut co-wash for a week and I'm already starting to see a difference in my curls.

Still struggling with my under section of hair being basically straight, or 2A (maybe) and constantly sticking out while my upper layers have perfect S-waves. I've tried everything to make that hair curl like the rest of my hair, but so far, no dice. It's an entirely different consistency altogether.
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For the longest time I thought my hair was high porosity, but now that I did the "hair in a bowl" trick I realize I am, in fact, LOW porosity, which changes the game a bit.

Just jumping in to say that most 'at home' tests aren't accurate and are considered junk science. I'm guessing what you've called the 'hair in a bowl' trick is the float test? That's pretty much useless in accurately determining porosity. The only real ways to know your porosity are to A) pay attention to your hair – how long does it take to dry? Does it respond better to thinner, more watery products and get weighed down easily by thick creams? And B) Get a hair analysis done (Goosefootprints on Etsy is highly recommended here).

:)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users

Still struggling with my under section of hair being basically straight, or 2A (maybe) and constantly sticking out while my upper layers have perfect S-waves. I've tried everything to make that hair curl like the rest of my hair, but so far, no dice. It's an entirely different consistency altogether.

I have this layer at the nape of my neck as well. I get it cut a good 1-2" shorter than the rest of my hair so that it doesn't hang down below the curly layers. Have your stylist isolate these when your hair is dry so you can find them as all hair looks the same when it is wet ;-) Works like a charm.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I agree just get the underlayer a little shorter so it blends in.
    I'm having issues with trying to nail down a consistent styling routine too. I'll be following this thread to see what other people suggest. We have similar hair properties - or at least the things you struggle with are also things I struggle with.

What are your goals for a styling routine? Do you want to push your hair more into the curly 3a category? Or would you rather keep it wavy? Are you looking for more curl definition?

I am happy with the amount of curls I have. I definitely don't want to encourage even more curl. I just wish I could get defined curls with volume, instead I feel like a wet poodle. Even though I scrunch out the crunch my hair still looks "wet". If I don't use enough product then it is a frizzy mess. I know that I am high porosity because I did have the hair analysis....it just gets so frustrating and easy to go back to using whatever. What works for a few days, never works again....my hair seems to like VO5 KLC to cowash with, but it still is super dry. Argh, so hard figuring this out. The HE mousse with the gel isn't working now. I am experimenting with KCCC and BRHG....
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte

Just jumping in to say that most 'at home' tests aren't accurate and are considered junk science. I'm guessing what you've called the 'hair in a bowl' trick is the float test? That's pretty much useless in accurately determining porosity. The only real ways to know your porosity are to A) pay attention to your hair – how long does it take to dry? Does it respond better to thinner, more watery products and get weighed down easily by thick creams? And B) Get a hair analysis done (Goosefootprints on Etsy is highly recommended here).

:)

I don't know the porosity of my hair but I would assume that it would be low. I say that because my hair is in "virgin condition". I've never colored it (although as a teen/young adult some 30 years ago I used to spray peroxide in it to "lighten" it like sun-in does) and I haven't had a permanent in 30 years. So it's been a full 30 years since I've had any sort of chemical treatment done to my hair and it's been cut many, many, many times since then. I don't really feel the need to get a Goosefootprints test done as my hair is "virgin" but I can assume that I am "low porous", right? I have dense, relatively course hair; that's its natural state.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I don't know the porosity of my hair but I would assume that it would be low. I say that because my hair is in "virgin condition". I've never colored it (although as a teen/young adult some 30 years ago I used to spray peroxide in it to "lighten" it like sun-in does) and I haven't had a permanent in 30 years. So it's been a full 30 years since I've had any sort of chemical treatment done to my hair and it's been cut many, many, many times since then. I don't really feel the need to get a Goosefootprints test done as my hair is "virgin" but I can assume that I am "low porous", right? I have dense, relatively course hair; that's its natural state.

Some people have naturally high porosity hair, even though virgin hair on average is lower porosity than treated hair. One of the more reliable ways of telling is how long your hair takes to dry (esp without product, as different products can really tamper with drying time). I believe under 2 hours = high porosity, 2-6 = medium, and 6+ = low. Also whether products just sit on your hair vs get absorbed can be a clue as to porosity.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    naturecat wrote: »

Some people have naturally high porosity hair, even though virgin hair on average is lower porosity than treated hair. One of the more reliable ways of telling is how long your hair takes to dry (esp without product, as different products can really tamper with drying time). I believe under 2 hours = high porosity, 2-6 = medium, and 6+ = low. Also whether products just sit on your hair vs get absorbed can be a clue as to porosity.

Thank you. That is very helpful. I must be "medium" as my hair takes from 3-4 hours to dry without product. If I comb it with a wide tooth comb during that time, it speeds up the drying time a bit but not by hours. I appreciate your post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)

I am happy with the amount of curls I have. I definitely don't want to encourage even more curl. I just wish I could get defined curls with volume, instead I feel like a wet poodle. Even though I scrunch out the crunch my hair still looks "wet". If I don't use enough product then it is a frizzy mess. I know that I am high porosity because I did have the hair analysis....it just gets so frustrating and easy to go back to using whatever. What works for a few days, never works again....my hair seems to like VO5 KLC to cowash with, but it still is super dry. Argh, so hard figuring this out. The HE mousse with the gel isn't working now. I am experimenting with KCCC and BRHG....

Are you using something to condition after cowashing? That often helps with dryness a little.

Honestly, I never had any luck with mousse. Have you thought about layering two gels? I'm experimenting with it now and I'm having really good luck. The first gel is one more geared towards curl definition, and the second one is geared towards hold.

I'll attach a picture of what my hair looked like. I could separate some of the bigger wurls for more volume, as well as shake it out a little.

A whole lot of people are low at the crown, normal on the length and high on the ends.
  • sarajane82sarajane82 Posts: 77Registered Users

Are you using something to condition after cowashing? That often helps with dryness a little.

Honestly, I never had any luck with mousse. Have you thought about layering two gels? I'm experimenting with it now and I'm having really good luck. The first gel is one more geared towards curl definition, and the second one is geared towards hold.

I'll attach a picture of what my hair looked like. I could separate some of the bigger wurls for more volume, as well as shake it out a little.

I'm new to all of this and I'm wondering...when you layer products, do you literally put one on and then just put the next one on? Is there any drying in between? If you use two gels can you just mix them in your hand before putting in your hair? If the second layer is for hold, how do you put it on in a way that doesn't undo what you've done with the first layer?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using CurlTalk App
    SpiralHam wrote: »

I have this layer at the nape of my neck as well. I get it cut a good 1-2" shorter than the rest of my hair so that it doesn't hang down below the curly layers. Have your stylist isolate these when your hair is dry so you can find them as all hair looks the same when it is wet ;-) Works like a charm.

I also have this problem and am planning to get the underlayer cut shorter on my next trip to the salon :)

sarahjane82 I just apply them one on top of the other usually by smoothing them on gently, followed by scrunching. No drying between products. I will, however, scrunch out some water with a t-shirt between products if the dripping irritates me too much. I actually really hate the feeling of wet hair.

Thanks, Expecto. I think one of my problems is that I was scrunching in the first layer, then scrunching in the second layer rather than layering both products on and THEN scrunching.

• Morgan.DeckeMorgan.Decke Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm in the same situation, but feel like I've finally nailed it down. I have fine, low-porosity 2c/3a hair, but quite a bit of it. It's very easy for me to get product build-up, and as much as I like the definition of some products, I just hate the way my hair feels. Right now, the routine that's working best for me is Devacurl Low-Poo 2-3 times/week, Devacurl One Condition for my r/o, and DC Beleave in. I use prayer method to apply the leave-in while I'm still standing in the shower with dripping hair, then use DC Frizz-free mousse (3-4 pumps) and prayer method, then scrunch, and hold and pulse while I scrunch. The only way for me to get volume is to diffuse about 80% dry, and then let it air-dry. Once it's dry, I usually scrunch out the crunch, and spray dry shampoo in my roots, massaging it in just at my scalp. If I want huge volume, I finger-detangle, which does make it a little less curly. I've found a dime-size amount of CurlKeeper applied prayer method and scrunched will re-define some of the curls but not kill my volume. DC hairspray is a great way to keep the volume all day. Pretty much all of those products are water-soluble, and since I like my curls best days 2-3, it helps that using the lavender/water mist takes out some product.

On no-wash days, I still often "scalp wash" with just water, and massage my scalp with my fingertips to help it feel more clean. The longer I go with the routine, though, I feel less need for that and can get away with just misting. It's absolutely essential for me to pineapple at night - it definitely keeps away tangles and preserves the top layer of my hair. The pic shows day 3 hair, barely misted, not even really styled. It needs a little help, but doesn't feel dirty, heavy, or gross.
  • SarahReySarahRey Posts: 4Registered Users
    Hey there love! I feel your pain, my hair is 3A on the top and gradually fades to 2C beneath (especially in the back), and it can be a pain. I've only bought the same product 2 bottles in a row twice in my life, so I've been through most of the department store brands and several salon brands.

My biggest peace of advice for you: CUT OUT THE SUAVE. They claim to be better, improve, etc, it is just not going to be pretty. For comparable pricing, I strongly recommend Shea Moisture products, especially the High Porosity Mongongo and Hemp Seed and the Coconut and Hibiscus lines (you mentioned Shea Moisture, what line do you currently use?). I know you said you have low porosity roots, for that, some high-quality essential oils can help keep them healthy. I personally use Young Living Essential Oils, and for my hair I tend to use Ylang Ylang and Cedarwood. Softest roots I've ever had!

Another thing that may help you is changing from DevaCurl low-poo to a sulfate free paragon free shampoo! That was a life-changer for me. I used the low-poo religiously for a couple years because it was the first thing I used that wasn't drying, but the longer I used it the more product build-up my stylists noticed. It just stopped getting my hair really clean somewhere along the line! I currently use the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo (cruelty free, paraben free, sulfate free, silicon free, natural ingredients, low-poo), and it has been perfect. I use it about once a week, sometimes twice if I get really sweaty or dirty, and it is not at all drying but does a much better job getting hair clean.

DevaCurl Low-poo is great at the start, but it is made as a gentler cleaner that just doesn't work as well for us lower 3 and higher 2 types the way it does for the 4 types. Shea Moisture is still gentle, but better cleaning, and doesn't get as slick when massaged into the scalp, so it is a lot easier to tell when you've actually gotten clean.

Hope this all helps!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file