Lost newbie here!-uk-help

aylaycrebaylaycreb Posts: 17Registered Users
Hello ladies,
thank you SOOOO much to everyone that took the time to post some information here for us newbies..:)

I have just started,
got myself Tresseme naturals, boots intense mask (coconut and almond)+ a sulphate free shampoo + boots curl crème.

So far I know that I have fine hair and high porosity (new discovery)..

Could you please advice on some products, ingredients that would suit better my hair type? ideally affordable/drugstore

I think I have done quite a good research, but still quite confused, and before I go and get myself more things I'd like to know that I am at least in the right direction.

I also dye my hair, and believe or not didn't use conditioner for years due to my oily scalp. Only occasionally when dying (I know, no comments!)

I would very much appreciate any advice

Thanks a million
2c-3a...and a little bit of everything...:sad1:
fine hair, medium density, high porosity
shoulder lengh

co-wash-tresseme naturals
rinse out-superdrug colored hair
leave in-none/diluted tresseme naturals
styling-boots curl creme+ecostyler argan oil gel

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry — did you already post your curl type?
  • aylaycrebaylaycreb Posts: 17Registered Users
    Hi,
    thanks so much for your answer...
    No I haven't.
    As far as I know
    Fine hair
    medium-low density
    High porosity

curl pattern-difficult to tell now,
    mixed 2b,2c, and some 3a coming!

Many thanks!!
    shoulder lengh

• DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, another UK curly here :O) If you are looking for a gel then the Umberto Gianni Curl Friends scrunching gel is popular (Boots) and is CG. There are lots of CG conditioners that you can get from Home Bargains etc (I found one today, it was a Schwarzkopf one in a brown bottle that smelt of cocoa and only £1), and i think the brown Garnier Ultimate Blends conditioner is CG too. Most shampoos are no good however, and as i dont really use high street stuff im not sure which ones are at least sulphate free/low poo.

British Curlies is the place for all of this info, currently the forum is closed for upgrading but the site is still up and has loads of articles (plus the curly emporium shop, but i tend to use Beauty by Zara as i love my US brands!)
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

Hello!
    Great to see other curlies around...it does help!

Thanks for the info , it does help!
    didn't know about home bargains but I will have a look!
    I have been looking at british curlies and tried to register, but I couldn't , now I know why...:)

Thanks a million for everything, will let you know how it goes!
    xx
    shoulder lengh

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hello from a fellow UK gal!

Can I ask how you discovered your porosity? A few people tend to do things like strand/float tests, which are basically 'junk science' and very misleading.

For products, I always think it's best to keep it simple. TRESemme do some CG-friendly conditioners, which are good. And Boots has its own curl creme (I've never tried it but people seem to like it) or you can go for the Umberto Giannini Scrunching Jelly (I used to use this and really liked it, but it did elongate my curls a bit).

You can either choose to co-wash (wash with conditioner only) or low poo (use a very gentle sulfate-free shampoo and then follow with a conditioner). You should try to only go for silicones that are water-soluable, though silicones are by no means the devil (they can just cause build-up, depending on the type of silicone, and may not be easily washed out if you co-wash). It's sulfates you really need to watch out for (they're in the shampoos).

Some great sites to order products from are:
    Amazon
    Naturisimo (my favorourite!)
    Beauty Bay
    Beauty by Zara

For me, personally, I use the Jason Aloe conditioner (my holy grail!). I can use it as a normal conditioner, as a leave-in and even as a co-wash. It's been my saviour for a while now. I get it from Naturisimo (free delivery and 10% off, always) for about a fiver.

For shampoo, I use the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus, which is my holy grail and the thing I have been using for two years now. It is a bit pricey though, I'll admit. I get it from Amazon for £12.99 with prime.

For leave-in conditioner it's a good money-saver to just use your normal conditioner as a leave-in. You can either do this buy washing it all out and then applying a little more once you're out the shower OR you can just only rinse out half of it when you're in the shower.

Hope that helps a little!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Hello and thank you so much!!
    yeah so far I started with tresseme naturals, boots mask and curl creme..
    only using the same conditioner now as you said for co-wash and conditioning, also mix with a bit of water for leave in.
    I want to see how my hair develops in a little while before I go and get myself more products. And got the ecostyler gel in amazon wich seems to be good for now. Very simple for now.

About porosity , I didn-t do the water test, but picking up one strand of her with two fingers and going upwards, it feels very rough.
    I read that-s the best method.....if there is any other better please let me know.
    And thanks! it was very helpful
    shoulder lengh

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights