Anyone Familiar with Hashimoto Disease?

LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,399Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
My daughter was diagnosed with this months ago & put on medication, but it isn't working. She has gained so much weight & has very little energy. She's having trouble concentrating at work. She has been on, I think, 2 different medications with no luck. I talked to her this evening & it broke my heart how bad she is feeling. I did some googling & lack of iodine came up. I asked her if she had been checked for this and she didn't think so.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Comments

• cailincailin Posts: 915Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was diagnosed about 10 years ago. My best advice is to find a good endocrinologist. IMO it's not enough to check just Thyroid Stimulating hormone and anibodies, they need to test for freeT4 and T3, that gives a better picture of what's going on.

Best of luck, in my experience it's taken awhile to get everything just right. And even then....for instance my thyroid for some reason just kicked into hyper. So iahve to keep gettign testedall over again. It's a bummer.
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I believe they can remove the thyroid for hashimotos. And then all you would have to do is take a thyroid supplement (and get levels checked).

Also hashimotos is an autoimmune disease so I think it would be beneficial to see an endocrinologist AND a rheumatologist.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,399Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks ladies.....
    Calin, I'm sorry you are also going thru this. My daughter told me this morning that stress will really make hers flare up. She's under extreme stress right now. Her husband told her he doesn't think she is ill & that she is just lazy. He spends most of his time with his head in a bottle. My daughter works FT, started her own jewelry business, takes care of 2 children & a house. Her joints are really hurting & she's so swollen she had trouble putting on her shoes this morning. She has put on at least 50 lbs. She had some testing done a month ago & was told she would get the results in 2 months. I will ask if she is going to an Endocrinologist & what testing was done.

I told her this morning that I was going to put her on the "special diet" & check into docs for her. The book talks about a Protein Boosting Drink & since she lives so close by & I'm close to her work, she can drop by each morning & I'll have the drink made up for her. I also just recently had her set up a separate private account at the bank for her own security net. I donated $1K to get her started. She started crying & said she really needs someone to take care of her.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Just talked to my daughter & her doc is an Endocrinologist & she had the specific tests done. She just changed docs so hopefully this one is better.
    From Michael Berg:

Hugs to you and your daughter, Lotsa. Stress does play a big role, my mother was diagnosed with Graves' Disease, another thyroid autoimmune disease, shortly after my father passed away. Stress was a big problem.

Just be careful with diet. Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc) all need to be cooked as they can contribute to thyroid goiters. As well as some fruit such as strawberries and peaches. Unfermented soy, (soy beans, soy milk) should be avoided all together.

Jillian Michaels book "master your Metabolism" is a good place to start.
    Thanks. I just ordered the book you recommended. Both books should come in around the same time. I have a lot of reading to do.
    From Michael Berg:

Cailin, what kind of medication are you on & what diet do you do?
    From Michael Berg:

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,120Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Following up on what AshleyNicol posted, maybe consider having the operation to remove the thyroid.

I had to have my thyroid completely taken out (not for Hashimoto) and now take one pill a day and get my levels checked once a year and for 5 years my level has been perfect. My cousin had the same procedure years ago (for a different reason) with the same result. Neither of us have any dietary restrictions.

I'm usually very medically conservative (I won't even consider Lasik surgery) but I thought I'd mention this because it has been such a simple solution.

It's really critical to see an outstanding endocrinologist. Thyroid issues are tricky.

Very best to you and your daughter! Please let us know how she is doing.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Thanks, CP. I will talk to her about this.
    From Michael Berg:

• WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Hi Kay I take 50mcg of Levothyroxin every morning for my thyrod issues. Your daughter needs to be wheat free with the joint pain and stress. It really helped me, plus she will lose some weight!
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    Cailin, what kind of medication are you on & what diet do you do?

I used to take 100mcg Levothyroxine and 5mcg cytomel (T3).

Since I've become hyper my Dr took me off the Cytomel first and now I'm down to 50mcg Levo.

I try to eat as clean as possible. However, since I'm usually exhausted when I get home I end up eating whatever. Major source of my weight gain is being too tired to want to cook anything.
  • curly66curly66 Posts: 161Registered Users
    Hi Lotsa~

My hubby has Hashimoto's for several years. He was put on Synthroid which worked for a while and then it stopped working. He is now on NatureThyroid and doing much better.

Here is a site that helped us a lot. We also purchased the book.
    Stop the Thyroid Madness

Thyroid disorders can be tricky to treat. Also, I would reconsider removing the thyroid as Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder. Removing the thyroid does not guarantee it will be easier to control the thyroid hormones.

Wishing your daughter the best of health. Hope this helps!
    Curl Type: 3B/C thick shoulder length brunette
    Favorite Products: Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Biotera Styling Gel found @ Sally's, Trader Joe's Nourish, Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Thank you Curly66.
    She has an appointment this Thursday with a new doctor for a lot of testing & blood tests. The doctor suggested she bring someone with her because it is important that she have a support system around her. Her husband & I are both going. Me, so I can learn more about this disease & help her & her husband, so hopefully he will understand that she has a disease & isn't just fat & lazy. Which is what he has said.
    From Michael Berg:

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,120Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curly66, I didn't realize Hashimoto is an autoimmune disease, so I'm glad you pointed that out. I retract my earlier suggestion to ask about removing the thyroid.

Lotsa, good luck with the appointment! Let us know how you feel about it afterwards.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I believe they can remove the thyroid for hashimotos. And then all you would have to do is take a thyroid supplement (and get levels checked).

Also hashimotos is an autoimmune disease so I think it would be beneficial to see an endocrinologist AND a rheumatologist.

I pointed out that it was autoimmune at the beginning of this thread
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That was really unnecessary, I think.
    It's possible she missed that post.
    No need to be rude/snarky/know-it-all
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    so hopefully he will understand that she has a disease & isn't just fat & lazy. Which is what he has said.

What an a$$hole.

Sorry, not sorry.
    How is your daughter doing, Lotsa?

I was just at the endo yesterday and thought of her.

Looks like my thyroid has switched from Hashi to Graves. Great.
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    Lotsawaves, does your daughter have a Facebook page? I found a page called Hypothyroid Mom. I've received a lot of helpful information for Hypothyroidism on there. But there are also many people with Hashimotos. Tell her to click on Posts to Page. That is where all of the personal questions and posts are.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Also check out Thyroid Sexy on FB. Lots of helpful info there too. And i second Hypothyroid Mom. Very helpful. I lost my thyroid almost 6 years ago now and it has been an ongoing battle to get levels right. I moved to Nature-throid and that helped alot over synthroid but I'm still out of whack and weight is an issue. Going gluten free and sometimes even dairy free helps alot. Unfortunately I can't say much for hashimotos as I didn't get the autoimmune part, but treatment isn't all that different between the two. I will say though look into all your options before going with removal. It is not as simple of a fix as they make it out to be. Best of luck because thyroid issues suck and make you miserable. I feel your pain

Sent from my SM-N900V using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
    Thank you everyone. She is down 13 lbs now when she was told she would never lose any weight. Not sure of her medications, the diet & supplements are helping her.
    From Michael Berg:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file