Summer Fun, Routine Change

theknowledge02theknowledge02 Registered Users Posts: 21
Summer is just around the corner and my hair is feeling the extra dry air. I am not super frizzy just yet but I want to switch up my routine now because I am planning a big chop in a month (no damage just want a change).

I am getting a lot of product buildup and I don't use much on my hair normally. I use Tresemme Naturals Sweet Orange and Lemongrass as my cowash, and most days I just do a conditioner ponytail (same as cowash or suave naturals juicy green apple). Which seems to control the frizz. It is when I wear my hair down that I have the issues. I do the same Tresemme cowash, use the same conditioner for a LI. I normally plop my hair while finishing getting ready and then use LALSG to set it. I cannot for the life of me get hair that isn't flat with product flakes the next day even after pineappleing in a silk bonnet. Any help on the next product would be much appreciated.

Hair Type:
Texture: Medium-Course
Elasticity: Dry, Normal and Wet, Low
Porosity: low at roots, normal mid shaft, and porous at the ends.

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    Where I live at it is already very warm and extremely humid and will soon be getting super hot, I mean temps that range anywhere from 90 to 100, with humidity levels just as high, during the Summer Time. Right now, I am using CRN Curl Maker on my curls, which I really like a whole lot, and whenever there's a sale for it, I totally stock up on this stuff. However, I do plan on switching over to my beloved UFD Curly Magic (which is my absolute favorite styler out of all that I've ever tried thus far) during the extremely hot Summer weather, that comes every year in Louisiana, where I happen to stay. I just ordered 2 more bottles of UFD Curly Magic today (caught it on sale off of their website-not sure how long the sale lasts though), and can't wait to receive them, because I know that I can always count on UFD Curly Magic to keep my curls looking perfect in even the most hottest of temps and humidity.

I have only tried using a regular conditioner as a leave in, in my hair once, and that just didn't work well for my hair at all. So, I never went back to trying such ever again. Now, there are some curlies that can use conditioners as leave ins in their hair without any issues. However, there are curlies out there that this doesn't work well for at all. Now, I know that some curlies will get products and not get great results from such, and then want to find a way to make a product work for their hair, the way that they want it to do. If my hair isn't feeling a product, then it definitely lets me know right away, and I use that to be my deciding factor. I am not about working to do a whole bunch of stuff, just yo get a product to work for me. Which is why, I always keep my receipts, and if a product ends up being a miss for me, I will return it as soon as I possibly can, for either a refund or exchange (if this is allowable per the store or company's refund /exchange policy where you bought the product from. Honestly, the best thing that one can do is to pay lots of attention to how a product that one uses in their hair, performs for them. Overall, it is actually our own hair that's the best indicator of whether a hair care product or hair styling method is truly a hit or miss for us.

Both CRN Curl Maker and UFD Curly Magic are actually natural based curling jellies. Which I have found that I get the best results from, without my curls being left hard and crunchy. And, with both products mentioned, a moisturizing leave in conditioner or moisturizer can be used in combination with either one, for added moisturization.

By the way, have you ever tried using an actual cleansing conditioner to cleanse your curls with? I do mainly co wash my hair and use shampoo on it once a month. For me, I have found that using an actual cleansing conditioner to CoWash my curls with, versus using a rinse out conditioner works the best. Now, even though curlies started using rinse out conditioners to CoWash with, these conditioners are labeled to be used as rinse out conditioners, by the companies that have made them. So, anytime you use a product in a different way that it's actually labeled to be used, the results that you get may end up either being very good or they may end up being very bad instead. There are truly no guarantees, when it comes to doing such. On the market, there are some rinse out conditioners that do say on their labels that they actually can be used to CoWash with. Also, I will certainly admit, that there are curlies that do get good results from using a rinse out conditioner to co wash with, but it's one of those things that if it doesn't work the best for your individual hair, then I would never recommend continuing to stick with it, or any product or method that doesn't provide you with the type of results that you are looking for. Instead, I would recommend using something else to wash your hair with. As, Shea Moisture makes great sulfate free shampoos that I find to be non-stripping to my hair (of course results will vary from person to person nonetheless), and there are a host of cleansing conditioners in the drugstores and beauty supply stores that you can definitely seek to explore and find one that your hair responds best to. My all time favorite cleansing conditioner that I love to CoWash with happens to be the As I Am Coconut CoWash. And, whenever I wash my hair, I always DC afterwards, whether I happen to co wash my hair or actually shampoo it first. I do deviate from the norm, when it comes to DCing. I actually use both regular, rinse out conditioners and deep conditioners to DC with. I use such in combination with heat (either my Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap or my Heutiful Steamer), and I will DC for anywhere from 30-45 minutes.

I do a protein treatment on my hair once a month, and I do so based upon the overall health of my hair. My hair is relatively healthy at this time, so I stick with doing such once a month only. As, I only believe in using protein treatments on ones hair on either a weekly or bi weekly basis, if ones hair is in a damaged state and is in need of repair. And, then after ones hair has been repaired and is back to a much healthier state, then I recommend using protein treatments once a month from then on. A lot of individuals don't understand that too much protein being regularly used on your hair can actually cause problems, with one such problem being severe dryness to the hair.

I can honestly say that it did take me much trial and error to find out what best works for my hair. But, after achieving such, it truly has made a world of difference to the overall look and feel of my curls.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file