Cocktailing vs layering

knitapeaceknitapeace Posts: 44Registered Users
Now that my hair is short and I use much less product, I've been mixing my styling products together in my palm and applying them all at once. The past few weeks I've been mixing KCKT and SM Curl Milk, then after it's dry I've been mixing Aussie Instant Freeze and water in my hand then smoothing and scrunching the curls (almost like a finishing hairspray only gel). I wanted a little harder hold so I did the same routine today only I added the gel to the cocktail as well as doing the gel/water finish. When my hair was long I added one product at a time, in layers. Now, mixing the products together just seems to save a little time and get the products better distributed in my hair.

How common is "cocktailing" among 2s, and do you find one better than the other?
2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
Loving my new pixie cut!
Gracefully going grey

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not answering your question here, but I wanted to just say that if that is you in the avatar, I love your haircut!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Typically I layer, because I guess I've just gotten used to doing it that way, and I feel as though it gives me more control over how much of each product I'm using. The benefit of coctailing is probably less manipulation of the hair, so I might give it a try the next time I style. I'll let you know. Now that I think of it actually, I do coctail anything I'm applying to second day hair, to avoid touching the hair too much. I usually mix a bit of gel and curl cream with water in my hands on second day.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Typically I layer, because I guess I've just gotten used to doing it that way, and I feel as though it gives me more control over how much of each product I'm using. The benefit of coctailing is probably less manipulation of the hair, so I might give it a try the next time I style. I'll let you know. Now that I think of it actually, I do coctail anything I'm applying to second day hair, to avoid touching the hair too much. I usually mix a bit of gel and curl cream with water in my hands on second day.

This. OTOH, if you have something that just didn't have enough hold but worked for a while, cocktailing in a smidge of HHG can make that an HG product.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I cocktail. Didn't even realize that was a term. I have to, because I need a product with hold with anything I use lest I flatten out my curls. If I layered and put in gel each time I'd wind up with too much lighter hold gel (that alone would later on flatten out my curls).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • sabbiasabbia Posts: 36Registered Users
    Because my hair is so fine and to my collarbone, I found that doing things in steps and applying product in layers to acheive specific goals seems to get the most out of my waves/curls.

To be more specific--to help with clumping and frizzing, I apply a less sticky gel (FOTE Aloe Vera) to very wet hair. To avoid too much water in hair which would pull down my wave, I then scrunch hair with T-shirt and plop. To help hold the curl, I finally apply a HHG.

I did try a cocktail when first going CG (because my goal is for this process to be as low maintenance as possible) but my waves turned out flatter than I had wanted. I wish I could cocktail.
    Fine texture, Avg/high density, high porosity, 2a-2b

Still experimenting. Current products:

Low-Poo: Sukin Moisture Restoring Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi-Lime, Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: Tresseme Naturals, Matrix Sleek, Sukin Moisture Restoring Cond
    LI/Refresher: SM CE Smoothie
    Stylers: FOTE, LaBella Strong Hold gel, AIF
    DT: SM 10-in-1 Renewal System Hair Masque
    PT: Homemade Gelatin solution
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    It really depends what I'm trying to accomplish.

I rarely cocktail, but I'll cocktail 2 products that are similar and I need extra curl boost, or if I need a lighter amount of product on my hair. Usually this is when I add a product with mag sulfate or some protein that doesn't have a lot of hold by itself.

I'll layer if something isn't working quite right, or I need more of one product than another. Like in the winter I need much more conditioning than in the summer. In the summer I need more hold than conditioning. Although, I never mix my conditioning product with my gel. To me that defeats the whole purpose of a leave in.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I usually layer but I actually mixed my Spiral Solutions curl enhancing jelly with my Garnier Fructis Curl Sculpting Cream-Gel. Like in the bottle. And I'm pleased with the results. Both enhance curls very well but the Garnier product is a bit greasier and this keeps the greasiness down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    It really depends what I'm trying to accomplish.

I rarely cocktail, but I'll cocktail 2 products that are similar and I need extra curl boost, or if I need a lighter amount of product on my hair. Usually this is when I add a product with mag sulfate or some protein that doesn't have a lot of hold by itself.

I'll layer if something isn't working quite right, or I need more of one product than another. Like in the winter I need much more conditioning than in the summer. In the summer I need more hold than conditioning. Although, I never mix my conditioning product with my gel. To me that defeats the whole purpose of a leave in.

I just started using leave in (it took awhile to find the right one, that wouldn't pull out my curls). I use Andalou Naturals leave in and that's the one thing I don't cocktail. Because it has protein and panthenol in it, it helps my hair withstand the weight of the product. I put it in by itself, then cocktail the other products with medium hold gel, then top that off with a HHG.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file