What do you do with your hair when traveling?

I'm going to Japan (maybe) and I need to know quick styles to do in the hotel. Usually I take an hour and a half to do my hair and I'm not sure if I would have time?

Also do airports let you carry bobby pins? I usually don't travel so I'm really clueless

Thanks
Sing with Barney tune:
Frizz loves me
I hate frizz
It sticks to me
like a kid
with some creams
and some gel
and then nothing does the trick
Please help me
My curly friends.
:afro:

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL, yeah you can take bobby pins :)

I like to do messy buns – just put leave in conditioner on my hair as I slick it back (so I don't get frizz) and then comb that top bit back into the hairband. Works a treat. No need for gel or styling products.

High ponytails are also great. Leave a bit of your fringe down on either side (you can apply water or leave-in conditioner to these pieces and finger curl them to re-curl, if you need / want to). Then put your hair into a really high ponytail. Don't worry about combing it back or making it smooth. Because it's so high, it doesn't matter. It looks a little messy (but in the best way).

You can also braid your hair into two pigtails.

You can do a side fishtail braid, leaving a bit of hair down on the side that doesn't have the braid.

There are loads of ideas on YouTube, so I'm sure if you look on there there are plenty of curly hair tutorials. I think CurlyPenny & SunKissAlba have playlists of theirs.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
    Thanks 'u'

Are there any hair related stuff you can't bring?
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    There are more restrictions on what you can carry on vs. what you can put in checked luggage. So if you are carrying everything on the plane with you, you will have greater restrictions.

Prohibited Items (there is a keyword search on this page)

What can I bring through security?

I'm also a low maintenance hair traveler - I just don't have the time nor the willpower to look "perfect" on vacation (plus I wear a lot of hats or hairbands when I travel). It's the excuse I give myself for keeping my hair just long enough to put up, LOL
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You should be able to put anything in your luggage (aside from, you know, knives LOL). But with your carry on, at least over here in the UK, there's a 100ml limit for liquids you'll need to bear in mind if you want to put products in your handbag.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I travel a lot for work so often times I'll ditch the routine and still find my hair maintains a lot of it's body and pattern anyway. I usually end up shampooing and conditioning and then I'll bring a travel size leave-in (SM's curl smoothie has actually been great as a leave in). When I went to London, I brought a tee shirt to 'plop' with and then just blow dried my hair.

When I'm traveling (i.e. on planes), I usually just stick my hair in a braid or topknot and put a lot of heavier products in before because I know my hair needs the extra moisture and I'm just going to wash them out later (since plane air is gross).

Before I get on and after I get off a plane, I always do an intensive deep treatment masque, too.

Hope that helps!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
    Thanks guys!
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
  • CurlyAeriCurlyAeri Posts: 21Registered Users
    These take me 5-20 minutes to do ! Super cute and super easy
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I almost always take my hairdryer and diffuser with me when I travel because air-drying can be a pain and it's rare I'd find a dryer/diffuser combo when traveling. I'll usually take some products that are "tried and true" (not ones that are finnicky) and can work within a range dews. Smaller bottles that aren't in pumps are more convenient; for instance, lately I've been traveling with Desert Essence Shine and Refine Lotion and Alba Botanica strong Hold Gel... both bottles are manageable. Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic is a "tried and true" product for me, but it comes in a big bottle so I won't travel with it. I usually find it easier to bring full sized bottles of things and check luggage, however if that is not an option I will put products in small tubes (got a bunch that I love from Muji!). Products that multi-task can be a space-saver as well... such as Cure Care.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list