Unable to get Deva cut due to allergies… what to do?

naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I called a local salon that does Deva cuts. One stylist gets rave reviews but isn't taking new clients at the moment. There is another stylist there that is also deva trained. There is a catch; this stylist will only use Deva products. I cannot because I am allergic to chemical fragrances. They won't let you bring your own products, as they do a dry cut, then wash/style and cut again after drying (and will only style with deva products). I got another name of a salon I could try but was unable to get an appointment there either. I don't know of anywhere else that does curly cuts. I desperately need layers so I don't get all those gaps in my hair. I was thinking of trying to cut my own hair but I have no experience and don't even know whether to cut bluntly or angle the scissors or where in the curl to cut (I see conflicting accounts). I also am afraid to give myself layers with no experience. Does a curly cut necessitate using deva products? If it does I will never be able to get a curly cut, but I feel I need one for my hair to look acceptable. Any advice?

3A/f/i
Super baby fine hair, low porosity
Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As a 2, I would not focus on a Deva cut with all its restrictions, but rather on finding a good, solid, wavy-haired stylist who will work with you regarding your allergies. Sometimes salons will have photos of their staff; start checking local salons' websites to see if there's anyone on staff who has hair you admire, and then call and explain your situation with regard to products. If they aren't nice or flexible, try someplace else.

HTH — I think you have wonderful ringlets!
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
    Have you called the salon and told them you're allergic to deva products?! I can't imagine they wouldn't just use other products in the salon (I'm sure their true intention is to push product).
    There might be chemical fragrances in their other products as well. Besides, you know how rigid the Deva system can be (she writes, recalling the long, long minutes spent with dripping hair while a stylist attempted to squeeze it dry with rough paper towels......).
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yup, told them I was allergic and asked if I can bring my own products. They took my name and info and set up a time for me, but then the stylist on the other end told them she is only comfortable using deva products, not any other products on my hair. I asked if I can just get the first part of the cut, or wash my hair at home and come back another time at their convenience, but nope. :(
    Thanks for the compliments re: ringlets, that makes me feel good about my hair. :)
    What's the difference between a wavy stylist and deva? I am open to any cut, but do want to try a dry cut. On wet hair I can't tell how much I'm taking off and I also can't see how my hair behaves and how the length actually differs on each part of my head depending on how tight my curl pattern is (it varies). How can I find a wavy stylist? I just happened to find out (via this site actually!) that the stylist at the local salon is a "genius" at curly hair. But she isn't accepting new clients for another 4 or 5 months. So not sure where else to look.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    ETA: I typed this up before I read that you already tried the allergy route. Doesn't sound like a good stylist - I would look for another.

I had the same issue when I went to schedule a Deva cut. First I asked them if I could just get the cut without the styling (because you know they want to charge you like $120 for the first cut to use the products and show you how to style), and they told me no, I had to get the styling done on the first appointment. I ended up telling them that I would have to go elsewhere, because I have allergies to the products. They quickly changed their tune and let me just get the hair cut without the products. I only needed to avoid the ones containing wheat, so she did use the refreshing spray on me, but asked first to make sure it was ok.

If it's a good stylist, they will take you and cut your hair but not use the products - especially if it's a legitimate reason like an allergy.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    The kicker is, this stylist does hair on a family member of mine. But that family member gets straight cuts (despite having wavy hair--she wears hers straight) and thus, doesn't use any product on her hair. So I know the stylist does "wet" cuts without product. I feel somewhat discriminated against. Maybe the other stylist will be willing to work with me in 4 or 5 months? Hmm, if they gave you a hard time too sixelamy, I have a feeling this won't be easy for me. It's frustrating. Since my curl pattern is unpredictable, maybe I should just do a wet cut. But my last one was not good for my hair and left me with huge gaps. It looked good straight.

3A/f/i
    To be honest, the Deva cut is great, but it's also super annoying. If you have hair anything like mine that tends to get wavier on 2nd and 3rd day, you'll probably get super annoyed by the cut - it will get very uneven as it stretches out. Unless you are ok with refreshing every single day (I'm too lazy - ain't nobody got time for that!) It's also way overpriced for what it is. I feel like I could do it myself, if only I had a second pair of eyes at the back of my head and another pair of hands coming out the other side of my body.

For a good haircut, I would lean toward giving advice on waiting the 4-5 months. I've been through plenty of bad haircuts trying to find someone that I should've just waited a bit for a good one to come around.

I get my hair cut by someone who straightens my hair and then cuts it dry. I'm not fond of the flat iron on my hair, but man does she ever give a GREAT cut! With time, you'll learn what type of cut to ask for. My pattern is strong in the front, so I know I need longer hair in the front. The back is super weak, and I hate hair on my neck so I tend to get the back shorter... unless I'm growing my hair out, then I get short layers all around. But in the places you have the tightest curls, make sure they leave those spots longer. You can get a great cut from anybody if you explain exactly what you need, and if they will actually listen to you.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Deva is by no means necessary for a curly cut. Tbh you can just find any salon that specifies they do 'dry cuts' and go there. That's what I did (we don't have Deva salons in the UK).

I personally much prefer dry cuts – I don't find it looks uneven (though I don't straighten my hair) and it's much better for length retention, as too much isn't accidentally snipped off.

BTW, it kind of pisses me off when hairdressers are so adamant they must only do things a certain way when it comes to YOUR hair. Especially after you've told them you have allergies. I wouldn't bother with a place like that, if they're so unwilling to be helpful.

I hope you find an awesome stylist that does dry cuts soon! I know Ouidad are good for curly cuts (or so I've heard), so you could maybe check them out? I think they cut wet though, not dry. So it depends what you're after.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    naturecat wrote: »
    The kicker is, this stylist does hair on a family member of mine. But that family member gets straight cuts (despite having wavy hair--she wears hers straight) and thus, doesn't use any product on her hair. So I know the stylist does "wet" cuts without product. I feel somewhat discriminated against. Maybe the other stylist will be willing to work with me in 4 or 5 months? Hmm, if they gave you a hard time too sixelamy, I have a feeling this won't be easy for me. It's frustrating. Since my curl pattern is unpredictable, maybe I should just do a wet cut. But my last one was not good for my hair and left me with huge gaps. It looked good straight.

I'm so sorry! This stylist sounds awful! I'm in shock that she won't accommodate you. The dry cut is the most important part of the process. Most of the time my stylist doesn't need to do any final snipping at the end. Honestly, she must not be very good if she needs to rely on deva products! I agree with the other posters-wait for the other stylist! In the meantime, I would search for a curly stylist who doesn't necessarily do devacuts, but is trained in cutting curly hair; he/she can give you a 1/4 inch trim just to keep it healthy! Yes, a good stylist should also be able to simply "dust" your ends. Good luck and I'm sorry you came in contact with such an awful stylist!!

BTW, it kind of pisses me off when hairdressers are so adamant they must only do things a certain way when it comes to YOUR hair. Especially after you've told them you have allergies. I wouldn't bother with a place like that, if they're so unwilling to be helpful.

This.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have to say though the ONLY cut I've gotten since realizing I had waves that REALLY worked was a Deva cut. But honestly they could cut your hair and not style it avoiding the use of product. It's just not so easy in a lot of places to find someone who really can cut. They SAY they can but then they massacre your hair.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    As a 2, I would not focus on a Deva cut with all its restrictions, but rather on finding a good, solid, wavy-haired stylist who will work with you regarding your allergies. Sometimes salons will have photos of their staff; start checking local salons' websites to see if there's anyone on staff who has hair you admire, and then call and explain your situation with regard to products. If they aren't nice or flexible, try someplace else.

HTH — I think you have wonderful ringlets!

I totally agree with this.

I have a great stylist who loves working with different kinds of products (she uses Aveda but loves it when I bring in my own stuff!). And she's awesome about really listening to me and my hair - when I went in for a consultation with her she spent a long time looking at how my hair grows out of my head (it's the one thing I would change about the hair around my ears; it is so hard to work with! :-| ), the way my hair falls, etc. We didn't do any cutting that first day, just took the whole time talking about what my hair was like and its challenges.

Then we started small - a shaping trim, layers that my hair might like. I took time to get to know that cut and worked with it before making any big decisions about it. Since then we always talk first before diving in. It helps to have a lot of patience and good communication. Now we're at a point where we cut my straight bits dry (so we can find them first!) and cut and layer the rest wet. A good stylist, IMO, will listen to you and you hair and try different things bit by bit until you find out what works for you. A good client (and I hope I am one!) is willing to be patient. I don't think there's a one size fits all approach to hair.

Do I get perfect haircuts? Not all the time. But over the last year I've narrowed down what shapes look best for my face and how long my hair really likes to be. At some point too long is just too long. Or too short is juts too short,

Do I still think about a Deva cut? Absolutely. With all my multiple patterns I'd love for it to be my holy grail solution. (Personally I am convinced that there's no HG solution for my hair.) But for those prices I just am unwilling to take the risk. And if the stylist is so set in their ways that they're unable to even consider meeting you halfway, well, then that's business lost to them. I have enough sensitivities to certain product ingredients that I completely understand what that means to you!

My $0.02? Be patient, and find someone who can work with you. You won't regret it.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    SprialHam, I envy you your stylist.
    chupie wrote: »
    I have to say though the ONLY cut I've gotten since realizing I had waves that REALLY worked was a Deva cut. But honestly they could cut your hair and not style it avoiding the use of product. It's just not so easy in a lot of places to find someone who really can cut. They SAY they can but then they massacre your hair.

I'm really surprised to hear this. Deva cuts really didn't do anything for my waves, and in fact, the Deva stylists I saw were pretty dismissive of the parts of my hair that weren't wavy, as in, "You know, that section is never going to be anything nice."

Is your current cut from your avvie Deva?
    SprialHam, I envy you your stylist.

LOL! Thanks!

She's not perfect (who is though? I never care for her styling technique, but that's secondary to the cut for me) but she's pretty darn awesome. And fun to talk to! :flower:

And ultimately, I'm flexible. I'm willing to live with a less-than-stellar cut for a few months if I can learn something new about what my hair likes or doesn't like. I'm also not shy about going back to get something fixed if I can't live with it. And she's super happy to fix stuff for me; she wants to know what doesn't work for my hair as much as I do.

:thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:

I'm really surprised to hear this. Deva cuts really didn't do anything for my waves, and in fact, the Deva stylists I saw were pretty dismissive of the parts of my hair that weren't wavy, as in, "You know, that section is never going to be anything nice."

My stylist was super enthusiastic even though I have such weak waves. My boss noticed right away and I think that this June we are both going to go to her. If it weren't an hour away I would have only gone to her. My current cut is from a very young stylist. I mean, she definitely TRIED, but it's just not at all a cut I am happy with. I can get it to work but frankly it is NOT a good cut. And most of my wave is totally destroyed. I can only HOPE Virginia can fix it in June at least a little :(
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

For instance, this was 4 months after my Deva cut. Check out the movement. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2256184-post15.html
  • koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Why can't they just cut your hair dry and not wet it at all? You can style it on your own when you get home.
    Honestly I don't understand why ALL stylists don't learn to dry cut. Aha Co Tran is a famous stylist (for his lobs) and he insists on cutting ALL hair dry so he can see the hair and the whirls and cow licks and cut accordingly. EVERY stylist should be able to do that.
    koolkurl wrote: »
    Why can't they just cut your hair dry and not wet it at all? You can style it on your own when you get home.

It's considered mandatory to wet it and restyle to trim any unseemly uneven ends that might be lurking about, at least for that type of cut with this stylist. I'm perfectly content to only do the dry cut and walk away and fix it myself if I wanted to but they don't allow that.

This wasn't a deva salon per se, simply that the stylists happened to have trained there (but they also cut straight hair too). I am willing to do any cut, doesn't have to be deva, as long as it's on dry hair. But it is trouble finding someone who is willing to do dry hair. Lately I've come to realize that with the different curl patterns a wet cut isn't going to show finished length effectively, and in fact, cutting according to wet/straight hair may actually give my hair more unevenness.

Thanks so much for all the support guys, I really appreciate it. Also I appreciated that some of you have shared your own struggles, not that I like that you're struggling, but makes me know I'm not alone.

3A/f/i
    We actually use a hybrid approach with my multiple patterns:
    dry cutting the straighter parts first - this way they are easier to find (think search and destroy LOL)
    followed by a wet cut to even out the ends and shape the layers

It has been working like a charm for me. And all because she was willing to listen to my individual challenges and brainstorm with me.

Good luck naturecat!

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Get a (dead tree, not digital) copy of Curly Girl: The Handbook by the original curly girl, Lorraine Massey, who came up with the whole Deva system. There are excellent explanations, illustrations, and a really good video segment (on the DVD which comes with the book if you buy the hardcopy) on exactly how to give yourself a full Deva cut. I've done it, and had excellent results. I just took my time, and did it step by step. I'd rather have someone else do it, but it's great to know that I'm not dependent on being able to.

P.S. Despite what people who apparently haven't read the book say, Lorraine Massey doesn't push Deva products at all in the book, just gives guidance on what types of products to use, and how to use them.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    IME, it's people like you and I, who have mixed wave/curl patterns who do best with Deva cuts. My hair always looks like trash within 2-3 weeks of a non-Deva cut, by a "Master Stylist" no less, but (when my hair isn't short) I can go 10 months or longer with a good Deva cut. That "Master Stylist" charged me $45 a pop, every 3 weeks. The $85 Deva cut paid for the difference by less than 6 weeks out.

BTW, I didn't pick the stylist with the greatest hair to cut my hair, I picked the stylist who cut the hair of the stylist with the greatest hair.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    Honestly I don't understand why ALL stylists don't learn to dry cut. Aha Co Tran is a famous stylist (for his lobs) and he insists on cutting ALL hair dry so he can see the hair and the whirls and cow licks and cut accordingly. EVERY stylist should be able to do that.

Agreed!!! I prefer dry cuts bc the underside of my hair is almost straight. It used to stick out/appeared to be a little longer than the rest of my wavy/curly hair. My hair looks so much better now that I get dry cuts.
    I think most hair stylists cut hair wet because that's what they were taught to do if they were trained in the US. Barbers OTOH were taught to cut hair dry, and I think that's one reason that guys with curly hair have generally fared better than women have.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    Never thought of that regarding guys before but it's true!
    Interesting! Most people assume curly guys fared better because they have shorter hair. I never thought of that (about barbers).

3A/f/i
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Oh that is interesting, about barbers. Hmmm.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list