This may be the fad of yester-year, but I'm still having fun with my DIY Okra Jelly

frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
SInce all those great gels/jellies/puddings/custards most of you have been enjoying in US and UK, I'm stuck with limited options and insane shipping fee. So, I dabbled with FSG, didn't like it, shifted my focus to okra and LOVED IT (but don't you dare make me eat it!).

Basically okra gives a lot of volume and great shine and softness to my hair, while flaxseed separates and tightens the curls more, making my thin head of waves looks a pity. What's nice is I still get great definition and clumping.

Now, of course the little "formulator" in me (when I was small, I used to mix toiletries scattered about in the bathroom to see if I could get some kind of chemical reaction like a smoke or a small explosion :glasses3: LOL) got curious if I can achieve the raves of the great gels of the crazed niche brands.

So, my first attempt at making a medium hold gel looked something like this.
1st attempt
Herbal-infused okra gel 60ml
Xanthan Gum 2% 3/8 tsp
Carrageenan 2.5% 3/8 tsp
Acacia gum 3% 1/2 tsp
Honeyquat 2% scant 1/4 tsp
Oil blend 1/8 tsp

TOTAL AMOUNT 60ml
Now, mind you, it was a complete bust. It made my hair so hard, my scalp was hurting so bad. It was like I poured glue to my head. Why? Because I WAS SURE that the xanthan gum and carrageenan were 0.6% and 0.5% respectively. Apparently, after I checked the recipe again, I mistranslated the gram to teaspoon (it's a good idea to invest on pocket scale). :sad5:

Luckily, it could be easily remedied by mixing equal amount of conditioner and emulsify it on my hands before raking and brushing it to my hair. Result? Weather-defying, full head of waves that could easily last 3 days, at least. But, my hair looked a bit duller and can look flaky if I don't mix it with enough conditioner, or frizzy if not enough jelly. I still found I needed to smooth a dab of oil when it's dry.

But of course, I wanted a perfect recipe. So, after I finally finished the gel, I proceeded to make a new batch with a revised recipe.
2nd attempt
Herbal-infused okra gel 250ml
Xanthan Gum 0.6% scant 1/4 tsp
Carrageenan 0.5% 1/4+1/8 tsp
Acacia gum 3% scant 2 tsp
Honeyquat 2% 96 drops/1 tsp
Oil blend 1/2 tsp
Conditioner 1/4 tsp

TOTAL AMOUNT 250ml
I just tried it out today with a new conditioner (Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume) as CO/RO/LI (which by the way, is amazing as CO, you only need a small amount as it's so thick and lathers well).
Result? Super volumized and soft waves, no frizz, but roots aren't lifted enough. The clumping's a bit expanded, though. I may not be using enough gel as I was afraid it would weigh down the roots while drying. By the look of it, it may not last as long as its predecessor. I still should test it with my HG conditioner and more gel applied to hair.
Good news is I can apply more to dry hair without any sticky/tacky/crunchy feeling.

Curious (overly excited:blob4:) me is already planning a revision for the next recipe to perfect the jelly.
3rd attempt

Herbal-infused okra gel 250ml
Xanthan Gum 0.6% scant 1/4 tsp
Carrageenan 1% 1/2+1/8 tsp
Acacia gum 3% scant 2 tsp
Honeyquat 2% 96 drops/scant 1 tsp
Oil blend 1/4 tsp
Conditioner 1/4 tsp

TOTAL AMOUNT 250ml
I really hope next time the recipe can finally be a staple. :toothy4:

P.S.: In all recipes, I used 0.6% Cosgard and 0.5% Benzoate-Sorbate Preservative Complex and Darling Clandestine perfume oil (Evonne makes amazing perfume oil and her base blend feels amazing on my hair). I got most of my supply from Aroma-Zone. I spent the same amount of money as I would if I got the nice commercial/niche brand jellies, but I can make about 10 times as much product. :D
2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
(by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file