split ends

I don't know what to do about my split ends. My hair is about mid back length and I would say half of that has a lot of split ends. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis almost 4 years ago, that's when my hair stopped growing and got thinner. Now my hair has grown back because I haven't cut it since and I've been taking biotin. I'm in remission and feeling fine. My hair is still a little bit thinner than it used to be but it took 2 years to get it like this so it's a work in progress. I know I should cut my split ends, but I'm afraid that if I cut my hair it won't grow back. Even though the split ends are higher than an inch, do you think cutting a little bit off every so often (like an inch or so) would still be helpful?? That way I can track the growth. Hopefully, that makes sense? Please let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Definitely trim the split ends. Otherwise they just get worse, and seemingly travel up the strand. Trimming them keeps the hair looking healthier. Also, as a preventive, occasional catnip tea treatments (even for just 5 minutes or so) strengthen the hair and protect against split ends. I feel the same way about my own length; I need a cut too and I don't want to lose my length (and as an aside, also had health problems that thinned my hair, so understand how hard it is to let go of hair growth). On the other hand, trimmed healthy hair will make the hair appear fuller so even while getting the length cut makes the hair physically less, it makes the hair appear visually fuller.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    sexyNcurly wrote: »
    I don't know what to do about my split ends. My hair is about mid back length and I would say half of that has a lot of split ends. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis almost 4 years ago, that's when my hair stopped growing and got thinner. Now my hair has grown back because I haven't cut it since and I've been taking biotin. I'm in remission and feeling fine. My hair is still a little bit thinner than it used to be but it took 2 years to get it like this so it's a work in progress. I know I should cut my split ends, but I'm afraid that if I cut my hair it won't grow back. Even though the split ends are higher than an inch, do you think cutting a little bit off every so often (like an inch or so) would still be helpful?? That way I can track the growth. Hopefully, that makes sense? Please let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Most people's hair grows about a half an inch a month under normal circumstances. As long as you're not cutting off all the new growth, your hair should continue to get longer. If it were MY hair, I'd get the split ends cut off and then get my ends trimmed regularly; perhaps once ever four months or so? Something along those lines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • sexyNcurlysexyNcurly Posts: 241Registered Users
    Would it still work if I cut a little at a time? I'm afraid to chop of my hair and it would end up being way too short.
    Also, I was doing the search and destroy method.. so I was able to cut a lot of the split ends off. But I was thinking since it's random cutting, does it make your hair uneven??
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Also, I was doing the search and destroy method.. so I was able to cut a lot of the split ends off. But I was thinking since it's random cutting, does it make your hair uneven??

It might. With curly hair, it might not matter as much, however. Deva cuts are somewhat uneven as they cut each curl individually. We have a Deva stylist near me but I prefer more "evenness" in my hair. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I think it depends on how much you're cutting off and if you're cutting less on some parts and more on others. If you don't have a lot of split ends, search and destroy is fine, because you're cutting off so few hairs it's not noticeable. But if you have quite a few it can definitely make your hair uneven.

I think you're better off just getting a proper trim if you have split ends. The longer you put it off, the worst they'll get.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's more danger that your split ends will travel up the length of your hair than that your hair won't grow back.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Do you think it would still help to trim a little bit of my hair at a time?
    So I ended up cutting an inch off my hair. It looks a lot better! I still probably could use another inch or so off, but I'm going to wait till it grows and then trim it again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file