CurlTalk

Anyone use mousse instead of gel?

I'm looking to try mousse instead of gel and I haven't used mousse for years and was looking for recommendations and opinions on mousse in comparison to the results you get from gel

Comments

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users
    I've begun replacing my gel with curling mousse. I use the Suave curling mousse and it works really well. I am pleased with the results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users
    By itself mousse doesn't have enough hold for me. But under a gel it works. What I like about it is it distributes through the hair well and can make the curl pattern more uniform. It also is lighter on the hair and weighs it down less, thus giving more volume. In the past I've tried Giovanni mousse. I don't currently use it because of the PVP, which gives me buildup if I don't use 'poo every time I wash my hair. However it was a nice mousse and I did really like it.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • princess_08princess_08 Posts: 59Registered Users
    I've begun replacing my gel with curling mousse. I use the Suave curling mousse and it works really well. I am pleased with the results.

I hear a lot about this brand but you can't get it in uk
    So I found this bristows curls and wave mousse locally (never heard of it before) and just washed my hair , I used a bristows spray leave in I found to as they were only a pound used that and added mousse on top and diffused and I'm quite surprised with the result!

My hair is a lot lighter and has a lot more volume than when I use gel and still has curl definition. But I'm most surprised with the fact that after blowdried my hair was less frizzy than usual . The only thing still to test is hold and lasting power . It is not sticky either
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users
    With the warm weather approaching I purchased the Natural Curl Enhancing Mousse by Design Essentials. I've not yet given it a try but am planning to try it out before the super humid weather arrives to see how my hair behaves as well as see if I need to pair it with a another styler in order to get the longevity and hold I demand from my styling products.
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 137Registered Users
    Mostly mousses don't have enough hold for my babyfine 2A type hair either as Naturecat mentioned above. however one exception is John Frieda curl reviving mousse.
    The old formula had lots of silicones but I believe the newer one does not.
    I have experimented with one mousse/gel Tressa transfoaming gel/mousse used to buy it at my salon(it's expensive, though!!) but I believe it's been discontinued they don't carry it and I can't find it online.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users
    I alternate between mousse and DIY jelly. Mousse definitely has less hold but define and clump my hair without having to dump gel on my head and get the waves stuck to my scalp because it's so heavy. My last formula of DIY okra jelly was lightweight as well, but it's not perfect. Until I perfect my recipe, I'll definitely always keep a can of mousse around.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users
    I've been getting better results with gel lately but still have some mousse on hand - suave captivating curls and clairol toussling. My fave mousse used to be Kenra - a lot more expensive but it was very thick.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,679Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I always use mousse, have never been able to get gel to work for me - stringy curls and no volume. I use an Alfaparf one, I used to really like it but they changed the formula (sigh) and although I still like it it doesn't have as much hold. I used to use Joico's Joiwhip, it stopped working for me (couldn't seem to scrunch it out any more) but was always quite popular on the boards. I tried a Tresemme one which was so bad I threw it away, and a Giovanni one suffered the same fate. I have a Pureology one atm but don't like that either, no hold and makes my hair fluffy. Like everything else curly, it's a lot of trial and error!
    3b in South Australia.
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    I like Paul Mitchell sculpting foam. It has a nice hold and provides some volume and definition. The results don't last quite as long as a gel does for me and second day hair is not as great but I really like this mousse. It does have cones (they may be water soluble not exactly sure). It has a strong tropical coconutty smell but it isn't too strong once your hair is dry.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users
    I should mention something about the Suave mousse. Unlike other mousses, which foam up into a ball but are thin and the "white part" disappears quickly, the Suave Mousse is more like a cream. When you rub your hands together after putting the ball of mousse onto one hand, the mousse does not thin out at all, it's like putting a cream on your hair. Obviously the "white part" does dissipate once it's on the hair but this mousse is MUCH more like a cream than any of the other mousses I've been trying recently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users
    I should mention something about the Suave mousse. Unlike other mousses, which foam up into a ball but are thin and the "white part" disappears quickly, the Suave Mousse is more like a cream. When you rub your hands together after putting the ball of mousse onto one hand, the mousse does not thin out at all, it's like putting a cream on your hair. Obviously the "white part" does dissipate once it's on the hair but this mousse is MUCH more like a cream than any of the other mousses I've been trying recently.

This. They don't put "Whipped Cream" in the product name for no reason. It really does feel like smothering whipped cream between your hands, but it feels light on the hair. Heck, it's still the most volumizing product among all my staple lineup!
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 525Registered Users
    I use the Suave Curl Control Mousse (formerly Captivating Curls). I've tried other styling agents but still keep coming back to Suave. It has decent hold AND volume.
    CG since Dec. 2013 :blob3:
    3b/c ~ fine ~ medium porosity ~ low density ~ dyed dark red
    No-Poo: Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo
    RO: Suave Essentials Volumizing Conditioner
    Styler: Tresemme Extra Firm Control Mousse & Hairspray
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't use mousse, but I've been REALLY curious about the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse. I'm tempted to give it a whirl
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    I need a mousse with that creamy texture too, the watery ones that just disappear in your hands are rubbish for me.
    I'd forgotten about the Paul Mitchell one, I've used that in the past and liked it.
    3b in South Australia.
    I dont really get second day hair either but then I hardly ever get it with gel either, I try using water and add some cream serum but I always end up with frizz dry bits so I have to always soak my hairwhich is annoying and I don't have time for that everyday so I scrape it back which isn't good.and I also have some tangles
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As a wavy I don't get enough hold usually with just mousse but my hands down favorite mousse so far is Oscar Blandi Hair Lift mousse. If you have an Ulta you can return it if you don't like it. I can't think of a person this wouldn't do some good for. I top it with a bit of gel, but my friend who is just a 2a, but with a stronger pattern than I used it and it gives her PERFECT hair. She looks like she spent an hour with a curling iron and 4 products (as in all those 'how to get beachy waves' videos on youtubes. Hers just ends up LOOKING like that with out all the fuss. Normally, we have to work at her waves with stronger products. I think the difference between us is her hair is very fine. Mine is more coarse, so it always takes more product).
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is there such thing as a mousse that does not contain polyquats?
    Mostly 2b but ranges a-c front to back
    Low/med density, coarse, high porosity
    Lo poo: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB
    Leave In: As I Am LI
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, LA Looks gel
  • ShadowLaceShadowLace Posts: 21Registered Users
    I use the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curling Mousse, when I want to take a break from gels.

It comes out as a true foam, watery feeling. I rake and then smooth it in on the 1st day. When I want extra volume, I use a diffuser and blow dryer set on cool w/ cold shot. Afterwards, I just re-dampen my hair and scrunch it in for the next 2-3 days.

This mousse plays well with other products, for now. I hth! :thumbright:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    A|G Mousse Gel has more hold than most mousses, and more volume than most gels.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 499Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Before it just stopped working for me all of a sudden a few years ago, I was using Joico Joiwhip with great success. I used if for years, honestly. It gave firm hold and was a creamy foam, so it didn't just disappear into my hair- I was able to use less than with other mousses. I loved it. I also used to use Kenra firm hold mousse, which wasn't as good as the Joico for me, but it was ok!
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curl junkie Argan and olive oil conditioner, soultanicals leave in
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, spiralicious, as I am curling jelly
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- CJ Repair Me
  • countrygurlcountrygurl Posts: 31Registered Users
    there are a few mousse products I like

1. shea moisture fruit fusion mousse
    2. OGX coconut curl mousse

Other than that I steer clear of mousee, bc I don't like sticky things. But both of these are awesome for light hold..
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users
    I love the shea moisture C+H and the Fruit Fusion mousses for refreshing my hair, both work perfectly after i have dampened down with a spray of diluted conditioner. It only works with these kinds of 'foam' mousses, which are very light and watery, and bring my definition back without adding loads of extra hold. Curls unleashed foam from Boots is also a good one (and cheap) but has a very strong fragrance. Haters of strong smells would prefer the SM mousses i think!
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• PretzelPretzel Posts: 12Registered Users
    I've been loving the shea moisture fruit fusion mousse too. I sometimes use it under a gel but mostly use it as a refresher. I mix a little salt spray with it in my hand to boost the hold and apply it to dampened hair. It keeps the salt spray from drying my hair and i dont have to use as much. Great combination and it smells nice.
  • diamondmanningdiamondmanning Posts: 1Registered Users
    yea . and ladies can i ask a question.
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 398Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really like the Wrap and Roll mousse by Jane Carter Solutions. It's very versatile. You can use it as a mousse for wash no goes, rollersets, and twist outs. You can get it at Target.
    4a/3c, Low Porosity, Fine Texture
  • countrygurlcountrygurl Posts: 31Registered Users
    Ive also found recently , that my hair like Lotta Body wrap Mousse. its very cheap. It has a very fruity smell that does not linger. Bottle would last a long time. Great option for a non crunchy , not sticky mousse.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users
    I've really switched up my routine since replying in this thread. I now use foam over a tiny bit of gel. Gel weighs down my hair and pulls out the curl, whereas foam gives volume and is so much lighter weight. It also helps soften up the stiffness of my gelatin gel. I'm in love with the SCE volume foam which I add PVP to. I do use an all natural hairspray over it to help with hold at the end so it stays all day.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Karina1987Karina1987 Posts: 29Registered Users
    me do
    really good
    Would you like to know how to care about your skin with natural products? Read about skin care philosophy here /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fambrossimo.com%2Fskin_care-for_beautiful_skin%2F" class="Popup
    I've settled on the AG mousse gel, recommended by a curly sales assistant who I speak to regularly. Wasn't a fan at first but my hair seems to have responded quite well to it.
    3b in South Australia.