Should I Buy Natural Hair Products from Black Owned Businesses?

monitanomonitano Posts: 15Registered Users
Hello sisters,

I was reading an article the other day. A market research firm had their resident black person giving commentary on Black women's hair trends.

I wasn't surprised, since not too long before that, a "Latino" acquaintance of mine had commented on their sibling's job as the resident "Latino" person for one of the major crap beverage & crap snacks companies- their job being to market to the "Latino" community.

I wasn't surprised that a company would hire one of 'us' to better understand 'our' behavior so as to better get our dollars.

This got me thinking about an observation I'd heard before...
See this video here: Buy Black: Keeping Our Eyes Open Against The Commoditization of Our Consciousness for a more complete discussion, and answer with your thoughts: Should Black women buy their natural hair care products from Black owned companies?
monitano.com | YouTube: Moni Tano

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    monitano wrote: »
    Hello sisters,

I was reading an article the other day. A market research firm had their resident black person giving commentary on Black women's hair trends.

I wasn't surprised, since not too long before that, a "Latino" acquaintance of mine had commented on their sibling's job as the resident "Latino" person for one of the major crap beverage & crap snacks companies- their job being to market to the "Latino" community.

I wasn't surprised that a company would hire one of 'us' to better understand 'our' behavior so as to better get our dollars.

This got me thinking about an observation I'd heard before...
    See this video here: Buy Black: Keeping Our Eyes Open Against The Commoditization of Our Consciousness for a more complete discussion, and answer with your thoughts: Should Black women buy their natural hair care products from Black owned companies?

I always think it's ridiculous to ask any one person to be the "spokesperson" for an entire group. I have a huge block of raw African black soap. last week I gave some of it to a white coworker who told me she uses it on her face. I also have given some to two other coworkers who wash their hair with it. neither is black. in fact I doubt my black coworkers even know what black soap is let alone use it. They are all weaved up, relaxed, or stay pressed up. They can't speak to myneeds or me for theirs. While I do make an effort to buy black owned companies I don't buy if the products don't agree with my hair. If a non- black owned product does agree I will continue to buy it.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    It is good to support black businesses, but at the end of the day you have to go with the products that work for your hair.

Having a black person on staff is a step in the right direction, but any one person, no matter the race, can only know so much. And if the company makes products for both relaxed and naturals, again, they can only know so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file