My hair is stupid.

corinniePopcorinniePop Posts: 138Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Okay, so I have 2C/3A mixed hair...but only in the front. The front of my hair on either side has VERY inconsistent curls, but they are there. Sometimes it's all s-waves, and sometimes I get small spirals. However, no matter what I do, the back is almost completely straight. I hate it so much. I've tried everything - products, diffusing, even trying to make pin curls back there. Nothing works. It just stays all limp and horrible. Is there anything I can do? Or am I just stuck with it?

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you have any layering there?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • corinniePopcorinniePop Posts: 138Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I still haven't found anyone who knows how to cut curly hair, so sort of. There's just kinda one slightly shorter layer.
    That makes a big difference. Have you checked the Deva site and curly artists list?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, so I have 2C/3A mixed hair...but only in the front. The front of my hair on either side has VERY inconsistent curls, but they are there. Sometimes it's all s-waves, and sometimes I get small spirals. However, no matter what I do, the back is almost completely straight. I hate it so much. I've tried everything - products, diffusing, even trying to make pin curls back there. Nothing works. It just stays all limp and horrible. Is there anything I can do? Or am I just stuck with it?

I'm pretty sure everyone has some struggles with their hair. My right side underneath is much more curly than the left side underneath. When I wear my hair up, the right looks perfect; absolutely perfect. The left? Not so much. However, the top layer of the right side doesn't look very curly at all until it begins to dry. Last time I got a haircut, my hairdresser scrunched and scrunched and scrunched and finally gave up in frustration, saying that side "wasn't bouncy". It's fine once it begins to dry, however. Every head of hair has its eccentricities; I firmly believe this. :D :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
    What/where is the curly artist list?
  • LeleyLeley Posts: 41Registered Users

I think your hair is beautiful, I've just started embracing my natural hair I'm dealing with heat damage. I had a pretty good hair day yesterday I think curls/wavys have a mind of their own sometimes....
    L x
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you know how your hair feels about protein? A pt helps give some people's hair some more bounce. If you're unsure, you could just treat a small section of hair underneath as a test.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Girl, I hear ya! My hair acts the same exact way. For me, the major problem is using humectants in non-appropriate dew points (ie. low dews and high dews). Also, if your hair is shorter in back (don't know if you have it stacked or shorter layers back there?) it may not curl as much. If you have longer layers I agree with chupie about maybe some shorter layers. Protein can definitely help, and so can a good chelating treatment if you have hard water.

Today is one of those days that I read your topic title and said MINE TOO! I WANT TO CHOP MY HAIR OFF! But I won't, because tomorrow after I wash it I'll be in love again lol.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried finger curling the back?
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Yes, but I don't know how well it worked.
    I don't know! What are some good products for that?
  • theknowledge02theknowledge02 Posts: 21Registered Users
    One more suggestion is try washing your hair upside down the next few times you shower. It could be the water pressure doing it if your hair underneath is still curly in the back. The right side of my hair is super flat and underneath is always curler then the top. Everyone is different.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using CurlTalk App
  • sabbiasabbia Posts: 36Registered Users
    Your hair sounds very similar to mine--even from your profile pic my hair looks very similar in density and texture. I too have a few spirals intermingled with S waves in the front and sides with much less of anything going on in the back.

I just started the CG method 2 weeks ago so am in the midst of intense experimentation with products and techniques. Although I've been getting more waves/curls out of my front and sides, the back still looks scraggly because of the straightness (still not totally satisfied with the sides but, as you said, at least there seems to be more to work with).

BUT....I did get some noticeable improvement today merely by leaning my head backwards instead of upside down or sideways while shaking the roots/scrunching the hair in the back. I did this b/c I noticed that my hair in the back was separated and had formed a rough part after attending to my hair while head was forward/upside down then flipping my head completely upright. Just that little bit of shaking then scrunching in a backward position gave me a bit more of a wave today. Still not as nice looking as I'd like but an improvement.

Next wash I am going to try applying styling products specifically to the back of my head and scrunching while leaning backwards to be absolutely certain enough product is being distributed in the back for curl enhancement before allowing it to dry. I think my hair in the back is so fine with weak curl/wave pattern that it needs even more attention then the rest of head.
    Fine texture, Avg/high density, high porosity, 2a-2b

Still experimenting. Current products:

Low-Poo: Sukin Moisture Restoring Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi-Lime, Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: Tresseme Naturals, Matrix Sleek, Sukin Moisture Restoring Cond
    LI/Refresher: SM CE Smoothie
    Stylers: FOTE, LaBella Strong Hold gel, AIF
    DT: SM 10-in-1 Renewal System Hair Masque
    PT: Homemade Gelatin solution
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know! What are some good products for that?

If you're talking about finger curling, just whatever products you normally use. It's always good to have a styler though (like gel, or whatever you prefer) to make sure it stays in place.

You can finger twirl big clumps and then separate them once the hair is dry for more volume, or just finger curl little clumps to begin with. It depends on what you can be bothered to do really!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My underside is straighter than the rest of my hair, and because I part my hair on the side, it looks like one side is a lot curlier than the other. I take special pains to "improve" the straighter part - the only things that work are the following products and scrunching the hell out of it, more so than the other side (and I always, always diffuse). I don't know if you've tried any of these, but they may be worth a shot:

Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets
    Jessicurl Awe Inspiraling Spray
    Got2be Kinkier spray gel

Plus some finger curling here and there. For what it's worth, other people cannot tell, even when I point it out and show it to them.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
    Are you me? Seriously, that is the exact description of how my hair behaves. I've never tried any of those products, are they expensive? Where did you get them?
    Based on this thread and others, I realize that there are two sets of "type 2c curlies": Curlies who have a straighter TOP layer with a ringlety underlayer and curlies who have a straighter underlayer with better curls on the top. I don't think the "straighter part" has anything to do with UV/environmental damage (people often say this because on some people the straighter part is on top, but what about those who have a curlier top layer and straighter under layer?); I think it's a particular type of "2C curls".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    One thing I know for sure about my straight layers at the nape of my neck - I haven't yet found a miracle product that makes them curly.

As for the loose waves around my ears, I can certainly think of some products that don't help them at all (in fact the take the wave right out of them). Some products help encourage and hold the waves I do have there. But nothing really changes them at all.

Only the right haircut helps me to manage them in their natural state. My $0.02 - don't depend on a single product to magically change the nature of your hair. Technique and the right cut (or style) is the key. If I really want the stuff around my ears to match anything else, I have to curl it manually with rollers or something. Most of the time I just tuck it back behind my ears and call it a day (sigh). I have at least 4 distinct patterns to work with.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am so sorry you're frustrated! We are all frustrated about something. My hair is also 2C to 3A and just like you there are days when something magically works and I get ringlets and then other days where people are like, "I love your beachy waves!" And I'm like, "It's curlier than that!"

Anyway, my life changed when I got a Ouidad cut. If you have a ton of hair like me, it really helped find the curl. Once you have the cut than finding products is a lot easier. You might still have some problem areas (my underlayer is straight-ish and annoying) but it'll be a lot better.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Based on this thread and others, I realize that there are two sets of "type 2c curlies": Curlies who have a straighter TOP layer with a ringlety underlayer and curlies who have a straighter underlayer with better curls on the top. I don't think the "straighter part" has anything to do with UV/environmental damage (people often say this because on some people the straighter part is on top, but what about those who have a curlier top layer and straighter under layer?); I think it's a particular type of "2C curls".

I have straighter under layers, especially around the nape of my neck, but I think a lot of that is from plopping, which I consider a necessary evil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Possibly, but I am not convinced. The stuff on my neck is 3b to 3c type ringlets and no amount of plopping is going to straighten them. I worked in Food Service for 20 years (think ponytails every day) and that did not straighten those ringlets. I personally think that's just how many people's hair is: Some have a straighter canopy and some a straighter underlayer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file