Hair isn't curling anymore, help!!

kenyaoneillkenyaoneill Posts: 8Registered Users
So for a few months I was having really good success with my curls, but for the last month (at least) it hasn't been curling at all. The routine hasn't changed, and I'm wondering if it's the weather? I'm in Jersey, so the weather is getting warmer (& of course more humid), but I always thought this would help my curls! I'm at a lost, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips? I'm getting really frustrated, and I end up just putting my hair in a ponytail everyday.

I was using DevaCurl but i stopped because I heard that bulid up can occur. so I've been using As I Am, but my hair still looks really limp and lifeless. I've tried protein treatments as well (Ion Reconstructor), but still nothing. I'm going to get a trim soon, but does anyone have any recommendations for products or styling tips?
2B (I think?), not really sure of my hair properties yet.

Mod CG: Currently testing out a lot of products and seeing what works best. Right now, I'm using As I Am Clarifying Shampoo, As I Am Cowash, DevaCurl One Condition, As I Am Curling Jelly, DevaCurl Moisture Lock, and ION Reconstructor.

Still looking to try Curl Junkie, Camille Rose, AG Recoil, Briogeo.

Looking for products that will give my hair more volume -- if you have any recommendations, let me know!!

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    So for a few months I was having really good success with my curls, but for the last month (at least) it hasn't been curling at all. The routine hasn't changed, and I'm wondering if it's the weather? I'm in Jersey, so the weather is getting warmer (& of course more humid), but I always thought this would help my curls! I'm at a lost, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips? I'm getting really frustrated, and I end up just putting my hair in a ponytail everyday.

I was using DevaCurl but i stopped because I heard that bulid up can occur. so I've been using As I Am, but my hair still looks really limp and lifeless. I've tried protein treatments as well (Ion Reconstructor), but still nothing. I'm going to get a trim soon, but does anyone have any recommendations for products or styling tips?

Hi!

Now, you mentioned that you were using DevaCurl, but you stopped because you heard buildup can occur. Individual results with any product or products will vary. Have you ever actually received buildup from using any of the Deva products in your hair? Also, did the Deva product(s) you were using actually stop working for you? I do understand, that you chose to give the As I Am line a try, but what you have tried from the line towards styling your hair with at this time isn't providing the results to your hair that you need. Therefore, I honestly wouldn't recommend continued usage of such, as the styler(s) chosen, obviously doesn't agree the best with your hair's properties, and /or the current weather climate that you are dealing with at this time. Also, protein treatments are designed to provide intense strengthening to ones hair only. Which is why, I can understand why, you didn't get added definition or volume to your hair that you were seeking from usage of such.

I live down South and the weather has gotten extremely warm and incredibly humid. I am currently using gel (CRN Curl Maker- which is really a styling jelly) in my hair, to best deal with such at this time. If you happen to get the most definition to your hair from using either gel, mouse, or something else, then I would highly recommend going with that, at this time. And, if you haven't been diffusing your hair already, I would certainly recommend incorporating such into your regimen. As, it definitely aids with adding both added volume and definition to ones waves, curls, or coils. Plus, I would highly recommend taking some time to scrunch your hair all over, after your styling product(s) has been applied to it, to really increase added curl formation. Afterwards, you can then diffuse your hair, or if you don't want to use heat on your hair, then air drying is certainly okay.

Another styler that I have tried that provide lots of curl definition to my hair, along with added shine, all day curl hold and frizz control happens to be Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. These are jelly based stylers, and they do work very well for me. And, they can be used on all curltypes. Curl Junkie offers a variety of styling gels, with their Pattern Pusha Styling Gel (which has a jelly consistency to it), being one of their most popular gels that they offer. These stylers are possible products that you may want to check out, if desired.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

The first thing I try when this happens is a clarifying wash. For me when dews go up I need really strong hold gel or I get barely anything. Also, sometimes you hit a length that suddenly just doesn't support the wave and you need a trim.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file