Apple cider vinegar- how often is too often?

Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I've been wondering this, since I tried for the first time ever to use ACV to help with my medium/high porosity and have never tried it before. I bought Braggs and I really liked my results. After conditioner was rinsed, i then poured my diluted mixture over. Then I rinsed a little more with cold water to get the smell off. My curl clumps actually stayed longer than usual once it was styled, and I feel like my hair really responded well to it in general.

My question is, and I've read many threads by this point and can't really figure it out, how often should/could one do these ACV rinses? Is it just dependent on the individual person's hair and how it responds? Sort of trial and error?
3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
Protein- Cnpf

Comments

• DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
    Would you mind explaining how to do an ACV rinse? I've been very curious to try it. I thought you were supposed to do it whenever your hair felt gunky/had build up.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yup, it is trial and error.

As for how to do one, technique varies. I recommend starting with a 1/2 tsp to start with, diluted in a cup of water. You can adjust the amount and frequency as desired. Some use it after conditioner, as the last thing they put in their hair before rinsing it out. Some use it after washing, but before conditioner or PT, etc. I pour mine over my scalp and hair and let it sit for about two minutes to a few minutes, then rinse out. I use it sometimes before conditioner, sometimes after. Frequency also depends on your water. My ACV rinses get rid of all the calcium carbonate buildup from my water so I use them every time I wash my hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Thank you, naturecat. I'm going to try it instead of a sulfate shampoo the next time I have product build up. I used to get build up from my water-I put a shower filter on my shower head...problem solved!
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hmmm. Yes I have only tried it after I rinsed out my conditioner and liked it a lot. I'll just see how long I feel it "lasts" and try it again. Just see how it goes I guess!
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DCWavyLady wrote: »
    Thank you, naturecat. I'm going to try it instead of a sulfate shampoo the next time I have product build up. I used to get build up from my water-I put a shower filter on my shower head...problem solved!

I still use an occasional shampoo (but non sulfate). Not sure how well ACV removes product buildup if used exclusively… depends on what you use and your hair. My baby fine hair gets buildup in two seconds from just about anything. However maybe the ACV helps because I can CO wash or wash with aloe and glycerin quite often without buildup.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    When it comes to cleansing ones hair and scalp, you should always make sure that whatever you use, whether it includes ACV rinses or not, that it be ph balanced. As, you should avoid using anything that's alkaline, because anything that's alkaline will strip ones hair of its natural oils, disrupt the acid mantle, cause dehydration, and lead to porous, fragile hair.

It has not been conclusively proven that ACV is great at fighting dandruff. However, it can actually fight certain fungal infections instead. I would certainly not recommend overdoing it when it comes to using ACV. Because, it can possibly cause more damage than it's worth. It is best to use ACV (1 tbsp/1cup water) occasionally (meaning twice a month or less). I certainly don't recommend using it before going out in the sun, or for those with dyed dark hair. The acidity can bring out brassiness.

Hopefully, you will find this info to be very helpful.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    naturecat wrote: »
    DCWavyLady wrote: »

I still use an occasional shampoo (but non sulfate). Not sure how well ACV removes product buildup if used exclusively… depends on what you use and your hair. My baby fine hair gets buildup in two seconds from just about anything. However maybe the ACV helps because I can CO wash or wash with aloe and glycerin quite often without buildup.

Yes!! I have fine hair as well and even though I'm cone-free, I get build up. Sometimes I use a sulfate bc my hair gets easily overconditioned and I use a light conditioner. I've gotta try ACV some time!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file