Straight or wavy

mandymaemandymae Posts: 150Registered Users
I am about ready to throw in the towel. For about the last 2 years, I have been trying to embrace the waves, but I average only about 1 good wave hair day a month. I can get consistent results doing a blow out.

So here are 2 recent pics. My one good wave day for the month and a blow out.

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In all honesty, I much prefer the waves. I know that's going to sound a bit bias, considering this is a natural hair site after all, but I genuinely think the waves suit your face and make you 'pop'. They look like those movie waves that seem impossible for us mere mortals (LOL).

I really hope this doesn't sound mean, but in my opinion the straight hair doesn't really compliment your face shape and kind of . . . drowns you out a little?

Really though, this is just one gal's opinion. At the end of the day it's YOUR hair and you have to go with what you feel comfortable with. You're the one that has to wear it on your head every day :)

What trouble are you having? What's your routine / what products do you use? What are your properties?
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • mandymaemandymae Posts: 150Registered Users
    Thanks for the response, BotticelliBrit! I too would like the curls better if I could get close that each time.My troubles are not being able to consistently achieve a decent look with the waves. The picture I posted was my one good day a seem to get each month. Most days, the waves won't clump as well, fall out, or look messy.

My properties are: normal porosity (because I color my hair, otherwise it would be low), normal/medium texture, and medium density. My hair craves moisture, and can only do a little bit of protein.

Most weeks, I will co-wash 2-3x and low-poo 1x. Rinse out conditioner every time I co-wash or low poo. Deep condition 1-2x per month. Then I will use a leave-in conditioner, a little styling cream as a definer, and gel. I use flour sack towels to squeeze out water and diffuse my hair (I would never leave my house if I air dried - LOL).

Co-wash/Low poo: As I Am, Yes to Cucumbers
    RO Conditioners: Giovanni Avocado and Olive Oil, TN NM, occasionally Shea Moisture Intense Hydration or Nature's Gate for a rare protein fix
    LI: KCKT or TN NM
    Styler: Yes to Coconuts Curl Defining Cream
    Gel: Aussie IF or KCCC
  • LeleyLeley Posts: 41Registered Users
    I love your curly hair wish mine was like that!
    Its funny that your hair won't stay that way....
    Maybe a few layers might help the curls spring up and stay in place I think my hair ways my waves down a bit just a thought :)
  • Maggie86Maggie86 Posts: 83Registered Users
    I like it better wavy :)
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    I vote for wavy. Very pretty.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like the wavy also, but I understand your problem. If you decide to keep blowing it out, perhaps get a trim. I think the length when it is straight isn't the best for your face shape. It kind of drags you down and looks a little too Morticia Adams although it is a pretty color and looks healthy.

If you got a really sharp, more modern haircut, the straight might be terrific. How about an inverted bob, or perhaps bangs?
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    If you have a problem with the waves falling out over time, you probably need a harder hold gel than what you're currently using (I speak from experience LOL). Or, maybe a little hairspray?

Even AIF isn't quite hard hold enough for me - a lot of people like Biosilk Rock Hard Gelle, and it might be the hardest thing out there.

But you have beautiful waves and your hair is pretty however you wear it! :)
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There is also and in between you can style it wavy and then wide comb it out. I do this often and then it looks like I did rollers.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • mandymaemandymae Posts: 150Registered Users
    Thanks for all the feedback and support everyone! I will keep trying with the waves. This site has definitely helped a lot in getting my hair healthy.

@ Spiral Ham - I haven't tried BioSilk RHG, but will see if the Ulta near me has it in stock today. They always seem to be out, but if it has amazing hold, I could understand why.

@ Chupie - I will maybe try doing a dry comb 1x through to see if that helps neaten things up. BTW, I really like your bangs.

@ Curlypearl - I do have a hair cut schedule and might try bangs again.

Does anyone else find that diffusing upside down gives them too much

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file