So I co-washed . . . and it was pretty great.

BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Randomly yesterday I decided to use my Jason Aloe conditioner to co-wash, just to see what would happen really. I've been in a bit of an experimenting mood lately.

Well, the results were pretty great. My hair doesn't look drastically different from how it usually does, but it does look thicker and shinier.

In the past, co-washing has never really worked all that great for me. It's always left my hair a little 'blah'. I think this Jason conditioner is some sort of godsend LOL.

Of course, I need to try it a few more times first to see if my hair likes the co-washing. For all I know the good hair could've been a fluke! But I'm excited to see if I can co-wash exclusively. You all know I adore my SM shampoo (it's the only shampoo that's ever worked for me), but this would be SUCH a money-saver if I could co-wash instead of low-poo!
3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
DC:
Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Randomly yesterday I decided to use my Jason Aloe conditioner to co-wash, just to see what would happen really. I've been in a bit of an experimenting mood lately.

Well, the results were pretty great. My hair doesn't look drastically different from how it usually does, but it does look thicker and shinier.

In the past, co-washing has never really worked all that great for me. It's always left my hair a little 'blah'. I think this Jason conditioner is some sort of godsend LOL.

Of course, I need to try it a few more times first to see if my hair likes the co-washing. For all I know the good hair could've been a fluke! But I'm excited to see if I can co-wash exclusively. You all know I adore my SM shampoo (it's the only shampoo that's ever worked for me), but this would be SUCH a money-saver if I could co-wash instead of low-poo!

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully, things will go better this time around when it comes to your being able to co-wash your hair more. I personally found through trial and error, that my hair actually thrives best and retains more moisture from cowashing (with cleansing conditioners), than it does from washing my hair with shampoo for the most part. Now, the only time that I let shampoo touch my hair is once a month, when I do a clarifying wash of my hair. And, no matter whether I co wash it shampoo my hair, I always DC my hair afterwards using either a regular rinse out conditioner or actual deep conditioner, and I will use either my Hot Head or Heutiful Steamer to DC my hair with for anywhere from 30-45 minutes.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yay for cowashing! I reckon the Jason is probably similar to what Wen would be like - but probably a lot better. If you find it doesn't work exclusively for you, don't be bummed. You may have to shampoo every few washes, but that's a lot less harsh than at every wash!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Argh. Now I really can't wait to try the infamous Jason conditioner! I just got Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume and haven't even used it. I need to get through it first before moving to the other. Grmbl.

Anyways, I was looking forward to get Giovanni Triple Treat and 50:50 conditioners from Holland & Barrett. Alas, they told me H&B decided not to carry Giovanni anymore and whatever's left won't be replenished. Bah.

I'm so itchy to run to the health store next door (I live next to the uni and there's the health store in there that carries Jason's products) and just grab the conditioner!
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Yay for cowashing! I reckon the Jason is probably similar to what Wen would be like - but probably a lot better. If you find it doesn't work exclusively for you, don't be bummed. You may have to shampoo every few washes, but that's a lot less harsh than at every wash!

I've done it for the past three and it seems to have worked pretty darn great *parties* And my hair feels a lot softer. It's weird because I figured since I was using such a gentle low-poo, I wouldn't notice much of a difference. But, damn, the softness is ridiculous

DC:

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @frckls LOL. Yes go forth and try it!!! I'm so happy to have finally found a conditioner I can use for basically anything (co-washing, baptism rinses, whatever takes my fancy). I wish it hadn't taken me a year of experimenting with over-priced products to find my nice and cheap little holy grail!

I've only really tried one Giovanni product. it was the 2chic deep conditioner. Really weird because it had these little blue beads, kind of like what you'd seen in a facial scrub! Do you have a Boots to buy the Giovanni from (if you're from the UK)? Or maybe try Amazon? I think I got my Giovanni from Amazon.

DC:

• DijahDijah Posts: 8Registered Users
    I used to be against co-washing because I thought that your hair would never really get clean. A few months ago I started co-washing with As I Am's Coconut CoWash, and I love it. I still shampoo, I just co-wash when I feel like my hair isn't super dirty.
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @frckls LOL. Yes go forth and try it!!! I'm so happy to have finally found a conditioner I can use for basically anything (co-washing, baptism rinses, whatever takes my fancy). I wish it hadn't taken me a year of experimenting with over-priced products to find my nice and cheap little holy grail!

I've only really tried one Giovanni product. it was the 2chic deep conditioner. Really weird because it had these little blue beads, kind of like what you'd seen in a facial scrub! Do you have a Boots to buy the Giovanni from (if you're from the UK)? Or maybe try Amazon? I think I got my Giovanni from Amazon.

My Giovanni bottle is still unopened....:-| I'm trying to adopt my skincare practice into haircare, trying one thing at a time and trying it with all combinations of my other staples, so I can fully assess whether it really does work on me or not. Man, the patience it takes!!!

I live in Malta but I can get whatever stuff from UK and have them forwarded to me here. I'm planning to get it from iHerb, though. Most other conditioners I want to audition are also on iHerb. Might as well.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • BeBeautyAshleyBeBeautyAshley Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thanks for posting your experience, I've been considering co-washing for a while, it still makes me a bit nervous. I think I'll try it and post it my experience here later. Anyone have any more tips for someone new to co-washing?
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love just cowashing. The only times I shampoo are if I've used a product that builds up, or after I've done a dye job - about once a month. I never have any adverse effects, people don't look at me funny or scoot away in the elevator or anything. Nobody can tell that I don't use shampoo or lo poo or what have you and my hair is always clean and flowy.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks for posting your experience, I've been considering co-washing for a while, it still makes me a bit nervous. I think I'll try it and post it my experience here later. Anyone have any more tips for someone new to co-washing?

First you have to consider what type of water you have - hard or soft?

Soft water you can get by with using any conditioner really. If you have hard water, you'll probably need a chelating ingredient (such as Tetrasodium EDTA) and a cleansing agent (such as cocamidopropyl betaine). Cowashing may or may not work with hard water, depending on how hard it is.

Second, be sure to scrub the scalp really good. I always add a bit of extra water to the conditioner to make it foam just a bit.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    ttoosday wrote: »
    I love just cowashing. The only times I shampoo are if I've used a product that builds up, or after I've done a dye job - about once a month. I never have any adverse effects, people don't look at me funny or scoot away in the elevator or anything. Nobody can tell that I don't use shampoo or lo poo or what have you and my hair is always clean and flowy.

Yep, that's me, too. I don't dye my hair but I do only shampoo if I feel that something feels "yucky" in my hair. I don't normally get 'build up' from anything but do once in a while try something new that I don't like and then sometimes have to shampoo to get it out. I can go months without using any shampoo. I don't have any "schedule" for using shampoo ever; again, it's only when something feels gross in my hair. I do scrub my scalp very well, first before applying the conditioner and then once again while the conditioner is in. My hair is never dirty; not ever. And with my hair color I get a tremendous amount of 'sparkle' so it would be obvious if it were dirty.
    I do have soft water and I know that makes a difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • sarajane82sarajane82 Posts: 77Registered Users

In a couple weeks I'm going to get my hair dyed for the first time since going CG...do I need to clarify and/or shampoo afterwards? I never even considered that...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using CurlTalk App
    sarajane82 wrote: »

In a couple weeks I'm going to get my hair dyed for the first time since going CG...do I need to clarify and/or shampoo afterwards? I never even considered that...

I would definitely think so, but that is because with my home bottle dyeing experience, I have to lather up really well all over to get the dye rinsed away well and completely off the scalp and everything. I guess technically with enough water rinsing, a cleansing conditioner may be able to get all the dye removed. But for me, by the time I need to do roots it's a perfect time to clarify with shampoo anyway.
    Now, this last time I dyed, I did a protein treatment (30 mins), then oil pre-treatment (30 mins), then the dye job (25 mins), and then a deep conditioning treatment (30 mins), PLUS all the application and rinse times. It was too much to do in one day for me. I'll probably break it into two days next time.
    CG since 11/2014
  • sarajane82sarajane82 Posts: 77Registered Users
    sarajane82 wrote: »

I would definitely think so, but that is because with my home bottle dyeing experience, I have to lather up really well all over to get the dye rinsed away well and completely off the scalp and everything. I guess technically with enough water rinsing, a cleansing conditioner may be able to get all the dye removed. But for me, by the time I need to do roots it's a perfect time to clarify with shampoo anyway.
    Now, this last time I dyed, I did a protein treatment (30 mins), then oil pre-treatment (30 mins), then the dye job (25 mins), and then a deep conditioning treatment (30 mins), PLUS all the application and rinse times. It was too much to do in one day for me. I'll probably break it into two days next time.

Oh, so you mean to get the dye out of your hair...I guess they'll be doing that at the salon anyway. I was thinking you were saying after you got home from getting your hair colored!

Oh ok yes, I see what you mean! Haha. Ya no doubt they will use a standard shampoo at the salon. Unless a person was like DO NOT use a sulfate even to rinse out dye! I bet they'd get a few side eyes then lol.
    CG since 11/2014
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I recently began using the Unicure Hair & Skin Conditioner, and I use it in a variety of ways- such to CoWash with, DC with, and as a leave in. I was upset that Sally's stopped selling the Cure Care Conditioner (which was a dupe for the Unicure Conditioner, so I decided to take the plunge and buy the Unicure Conditioner directly off of its website, and I must say, that I am really loving it for my hair. The only con is that I wished that it was sold locally, so that I wouldn't have to order it from online each time that I need more. However, I did end up buying a gallon of it, so I should be good for at least 2-3 months (or possibly longer since I do like to rotate products).

It is fragrance free, color free, and greaseless. It can be used on all hairtypes, as well as hair that is color treated and/or relaxed, curly permed, or texturized. Plus, it can even be used on ones hair after it has been exposed to chlorine too. Also, it is the 1st conditioning product that I have been able to successfully use as both a rinse out and leave in. I just thought that I would mention about my successful experience with using this product so far, since I know that some individuals here suffer with allergies, or don't prefer to use products that have synthetic fragrances added to them, or sometimes do desire to use unscented products sometimes versus always using stuff that's scented only in their hair).
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file